Bitcoin Forum
June 17, 2024, 04:05:34 AM *
News: Voting for pizza day contest

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Judge Orders Man To Stop Smoking In His Own House. Hipster Neighbors' Lawsuit…  (Read 947 times)
Wilikon (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1176
Merit: 1001

minds.com/Wilikon

View Profile
March 11, 2015, 03:45:14 PM

WASHINGTON, D.C. – A Washington D.C. man must go outside to smoke cigarettes after a judge ordered him to stop smoking inside his own home.

The judge’s temporary ruling came after the man’s new neighbors filed a lawsuit that claimed smoke from his home found its way into their home through holes in a shared basement.

The couple said they worried the smoke would not only harm them and their child but their unborn baby as well, according to a report from WJLA.

“You want me to stop what I’ve been doing in my house, all my life,” Edwin Gray said when asked about his reaction to the judge’s ruling.

He said his family has owned the home in northeast D.C. for 50 years.

“If this judge has done this, who will be next? What other neighbor will be next?” Gray’s sister Mozella Johnson asked.

Real estate attorney Benny Kass called the case “precedent-setting” and said it emphasized the fact people are not allowed to simply ignore their neighbors anymore.

“Your home is no longer your castle,” Kass said.

In addition to the temporary no-smoking order, the couple’s lawsuit asked for a half-million dollars in damages, according to WJLA.

http://fox13now.com/2015/03/10/judge-orders-man-to-stop-smoking-inside-his-own-home/comment-page-1/#comment-95096

bitgeek

Activity: 462
Merit: 251

View Profile
March 11, 2015, 04:53:35 PM

Why not simply order the guy to seal the holes the smoke was coming through?
I'm not a smoker and I usually smell cigarette smoke from afar and when a smoker visits me I can smell it on his clothes, so I can understand that they were annoyed if their house reeked of tobacco.

███████████████████████████████
███████████████████████████████
████████████████████████████████
████████████████████████████████
██████████████████████████████████
██████████████████████████████████████████
█████████████████████████████████████████
███████████████████████████████████████
█████████████████████████████████████
███████████████████████████████████

Online.BTC.Bingo

.*500%.CASH.BACK.+.INSTANT.BONUS
..PROGRESSIVE.JACKPOT
..NO-DOWNLOAD.CLIENT

EPIC.FUN.
Wilikon (OP)
Legendary

minds.com/Wilikon

View Profile
March 11, 2015, 04:59:41 PM

I'm not a smoker and I usually smell cigarette smoke from afar and when a smoker visits me I can smell it on his clothes, so I can understand that they were annoyed if their house reeked of tobacco.

You've missed many opportunities to make $500 000 like these folks...

Cool

Snail2
Legendary

Activity: 1512
Merit: 1000

View Profile
March 11, 2015, 05:10:20 PM

You've missed many opportunities to make $500 000 like these folks...

Cool

I hope these crooks will not get a single penny for "damages".
shogdite

Activity: 798
Merit: 1000

LIR Dev. www.letitride.io

View Profile
March 11, 2015, 08:01:11 PM

Insanity. If the new neighbors were that concerned surely they could have just sealed the basement wall rather than go through all the hassle of going to court?

Wonder what this will lead to...lawsuits over body odour?

▀▀█████████▀████████████████▄
                        ████▄      ▄████████████████
                     ▄██████▀  ▄  ███████████████████
                  ▄█████████▄████▄███████████████████
                ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀████████
                                               ▀▀███▀
    ▄█▀█       ▄▀  ▄▀▀█  ▄▀   █████████████████▄ ██▀         ▄▀█
   ▄█ ▄▀      ▀█▀ █▀ █▀ ▀█▀  ███████████████████ █▀ ▀▀      ▄▀▄▀
  ▄█    ▄███  █     █   █   ████████████████████  ▄█     ▄▀▀██▀ ▄███
███▄▄▄  █▄▄▄ █▄▄ ▄▄▀   █▄▄ ██████████████████▀▀   █▄▄ ▄▄ █▄▄█▄▄▄█▄▄▄
                           ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
                            ▀▀█████████████▄
                                █████████████▄
                                  █████████████▄
                                    ▀███████▀▀▀▀▀
                                      ▀████▀
                                        ▀█▀
LetItRideINNOVATIVE ▬▬▬
DICE GAME
                        ▄███████████▄
                       ██  ██████████▄
                     ▄█████████████  ██▄
            ▄▄▀█▄▄▄▄▄████████████████████▄
        ▄▄█▀   ███████████  █████  ████  █
    ▄██████ ▄▄███████████████████████████▀
 ▄▀▀ ██████████████████████████  ████  █
█  ▄███████████▀▀▀█████████████████████
██████████████    ████████▀▀██████  █▀
██████████████▄▄▄██████████   ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
███▀ ▀██████████████████████
██    ███████████████████████
██▄▄██████████████████████████
██████████████▀   ██████████
  █████████████   ▄██████▀▀
     ▀▀██████████████▀▀
         ▀▀██████▀▀
PROVABLY
F A I R
▄█████████████▀ ▄█
██            ▄█▀
██          ▄██ ▄█
██ ▄█▄    ▄███  ██
██ ▀███▄ ▄███   ██
██  ▀███████    ██
██    █████     ██
██     ███      ██
██      ▀       ██
██              ██
▀████████████████▀
BUY  BACK
PLANS
[BTC]
Wilikon (OP)
Legendary

minds.com/Wilikon

View Profile
March 11, 2015, 08:42:07 PM

Insanity. If the new neighbors were that concerned surely they could have just sealed the basement wall rather than go through all the hassle of going to court?

Wonder what this will lead to...lawsuits over body odour?

If the dude is well loved in this neighborhood and he's forced to pay $500000 to those blood suckers, I would not want to be in their shoes for the next few years, watching their backs all the time, making sure their home is safe when away in vacation, etc... Not a smart move.

(oYo)

Activity: 476
Merit: 500

I like boobies

View Profile WWW
March 11, 2015, 08:58:20 PM

I think the initiative for in-home camera surveillance is really being pushed for monitoring people in situations like this and has little to nothing to do with burglary.

Wilikon (OP)
Legendary

minds.com/Wilikon

View Profile
March 12, 2015, 03:40:46 PM

DC residents complain about pot smoke in condos, apartments

WASHINGTON - The District passed a law legalizing pot use in residences, but the city did not specify how to control the smoke going into other apartments and condos or public areas. 

Now, some residents are complaining about the smoke, and building managers are trying to figure out how to handle the new problem.

Many people in D.C. live in apartments or condos, and the smoke goes through the air vents and under doors. So, whether you want to or not, you may be inhaling.

Veretta Swann and her daughter live in an apartment building in Northwest.

The sign in the lobby says, "We are proud to offer a smoke free environment." However, some residents are ignoring the policy.

Swann walked down the hall of her floor with me. “When you get off the elevator right there, you get a contact. When you are walking down this hallway, you get high. You get cigarette smoke. You get weed smoke,” she said.

Swann's nine-year-old daughter has asthma. They usually have the windows closed, but the marijuana still seeps in through the vents and under the door.

“As you can see outside our window, a small courtyard--so whatever apartment is smoking weed, we get it,” she said. “I've gone to management, and I've asked them, ‘What about tenants who live here who have health issues?' I have a daughter who is a severe asthmatic, who is on a nebulizer.”

Swann said the building management will not do anything about it.

At the Imperial House Condominium on 18th Street, the manager sent out a notice from the condo board that owners and tenants have to "take measures" to ensure the smell of marijuana does not affect other units or common areas.

Allison Goff rents a condo in Imperial House. “Cigarette smoke bothers me a lot more because it sticks around for a lot longer. Pot smoke just kinda goes away it seems like pretty quickly,” she said.

Maron Turner lives in a different D.C. condo. “Given the reasons behind there being a ban on nicotine cigarettes, it would extend seamlessly to marijuana in the sense that you don't want smoke where other people are inhaling secondhand smoke,” she said.

Charles Gibbs lives in a row house in D.C.

“Do you smoke pot?” I asked.

“Yes I do,” replied Gibbs.

“Do you smoke pot in your house?” I asked.

“Outsides, yeah,” he said.

“And have any of your neighbors complained?”

“No, none,” said Gibbs.

For residents who do have complaints, Mayor Muriel Bowser says go to your management.

“The same regulations that apply to smoking of any kind in apartment buildings or condo buildings- owners can set their own rules,” the mayor said on Wednesday

What about people like Swann, whose apartment won't help her?

“It is up to apartment buildings and condo buildings to regulate their smoking policies,” the mayor responded.

There are no easy answers to this problem. And perhaps that is why the city left it to the buildings to figure out how to make everyone happy at home.

http://www.myfoxdc.com/story/28398127/dc-residents-complain-about-pot-smoke-in-condos-apartments

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
No lawsuits? No cash reward of $500 000?

Huh

BCwinning

Activity: 770
Merit: 500

View Profile
March 12, 2015, 03:46:22 PM

this shit is out of control. What a person does in their home is their business.
Too bad you smell the smoke, move away. Seal it up, deal with it.

The New World Order thanks you for your support of Bitcoin and encourages your continuing support so that they may track your expenditures easier.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: