Bitcoin Forum
June 06, 2024, 06:08:06 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: What effect will Ethereum have on Bitcoin?  (Read 2020 times)
djleafinmy (OP)

Activity: 1
Merit: 0

View Profile
March 11, 2015, 05:27:20 PM

Hi, long time lurker but feel this is quite important and want some opinions...

Ethereum will be released on the 20th of March, and looks amazing (different story if it delivers). I feel it's going to take some time for Ethereum to become known, but once it does I feel it will cause bitcoins price to increase significantly.

A decentralized platform could truly be revolutionary, and exactly what Bitcoin needs to grow $10,000+. If Ethereum delivers, this is going to fucking happen whether you like it or not, no bad news could destroy Bitcoin.

What do you guys think?

Somekindabitcoin

Activity: 518
Merit: 500

View Profile
March 11, 2015, 05:59:12 PM

All I can say is it better be the shit. 18 million dollars put into a cryptocoin should be greater than even Bitcoin itself.
Amph
Legendary

Activity: 3206
Merit: 1069

View Profile
March 11, 2015, 06:01:39 PM

if bitcoin could be used on ethereum platform(i think yes, i don't know the details about ethereum), then bitcoin mainstream status isn't even so far away
Somekindabitcoin

View Profile
March 11, 2015, 06:04:09 PM

if bitcoin could be used on ethereum platform(i think yes, i don't know the details about ethereum), then bitcoin mainstream status isn't even so far away

Wouldn't that require them to work with the devs of Bitcoin straight up? Maybe they will pitch it and show their platform.
LiteCoinGuy
Legendary

Activity: 1148
Merit: 1011

In Satoshi I Trust

View Profile WWW
March 11, 2015, 06:12:42 PM

"no effect"

when there is something usefull in etherum, then bitcoin will adopt it. dont be stupid, you can beat bitcoin at this stage anymore

....or maybe we will pay in ether soon  Grin

thejaytiesto
Legendary

Activity: 1358
Merit: 1014

View Profile
March 11, 2015, 06:13:39 PM

Hi, long time lurker but feel this is quite important and want some opinions...

Ethereum will be released on the 20th of March, and looks amazing (different story if it delivers). I feel it's going to take some time for Ethereum to become known, but once it does I feel it will cause bitcoins price to increase significantly.

A decentralized platform could truly be revolutionary, and exactly what Bitcoin needs to grow $10,000+. If Ethereum delivers, this is going to fucking happen whether you like it or not, no bad news could destroy Bitcoin.

What do you guys think?

It will definitely benefit from it. Everything that's decentralization benefits Bitcoin, since Bitcoin's main weapon is the concept of decentralization. Maidsafe will also help revolutionize what we know as internet. Together a new unparalleled era will arise and my friends we are all pioneers.
kashivre

Activity: 24
Merit: 0

View Profile
March 11, 2015, 06:36:50 PM

Moved to Altcoins...rofl? Ethereum is no altcoin, its a system FOR altcoins.
Hollowman338
Legendary

Activity: 1246
Merit: 1000

View Profile
March 11, 2015, 06:50:59 PM

The IPO dumping of funds already negatively affected BTC.  The effect will be isolated to ETH, in which the IPO investors will be just a tad bitter.
ArticMine
Legendary

Activity: 2282
Merit: 1050

Monero Core Team

View Profile
March 11, 2015, 08:23:07 PM

The IPO dumping of funds already negatively affected BTC.  The effect will be isolated to ETH, in which the IPO investors will be just a tad bitter.

There was a fair amount of XBT selling by the IPO that coincided with the bottom in XBT/USD. This is nothing more than classic "weak hand" selling of XBT.

Concerned that blockchain bloat will lead to centralization? Storing less than 4 GB of data once required the budget of a superpower and a warehouse full of punched cards. https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/8/87/IBM_card_storage.NARA.jpg https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Punched_card
old fart

Activity: 308
Merit: 10

Bitcoin is the future

View Profile
March 11, 2015, 09:56:52 PM

There was a fair amount of XBT selling by the IPO that coincided with the bottom in XBT/USD. This is nothing more than classic "weak hand" selling of XBT.

If loads of IPO buyers sell when it launches will they hold their bitcoins or sell them?

[ IQ ]           cash                           THE MASTERNODES CRYPTOCURRENCY
                           ⚫   t e l e g r a m   ⚫   f a c e b o o k   ⚫   t w i t t e r                         
[ LISTING ON : P2P [ P ] B2B ]  ◾  Discovering millionaires’ secret with IQ.cash
TaunSew

Activity: 756
Merit: 506

View Profile
March 11, 2015, 10:00:00 PM

The universal trend with IPOs, as of late, is the price dips below IPO and then the panic selling ensues.  Would you rather recover 95% of your principal investment or 5%?  Ditto - it's a race out of the gates and it happens all the time.

There ain't no Revolution like a NEMolution.  The only solution is Bitcoin's dissolution! NEM!
CoinRocka

Activity: 249
Merit: 250

View Profile
March 12, 2015, 12:09:03 AM

The IPO dumping of funds already negatively affected BTC.  The effect will be isolated to ETH, in which the IPO investors will be just a tad bitter.

Roll Eyes I plan on being on the Nina, Pinta and the Santa Maria   Cool
choochimil

Activity: 266
Merit: 250

View Profile
March 12, 2015, 06:23:21 AM

I have no idea if Ethereum will be a success. It has kind of been under the radar for a long time now, and I presume the IPO volume was exaggerated. But it will be interesting. I'm sure it will get a pump at some stage.

▄█▄
               █████████
            ███    █    ███
        ████       █       ████
     ███           █           ███
 ████              █              ████
█████             ███             █████
██   ███         █████         ████  ██
██      ███▓    ██ █ ██     ███      ██
██         ██████  █  ██████         ██
██           █████ █ █████           ██
██          ██   █████   ██          ██
██         ██ ███  █  ███ ██         ██
██        ████     █     ████        ██
██     ███ ███     █     ███ ███     ██
██ ████       ████ █  ███       ████ ██
███              █████              ███
   ███             █             ███
      ████         █         ████
          ███      █      ████
             ████  █   ███
                ███████
                  ▀█▀

▄█▄
               █████████
            ███    █    ███
        ████       █       ████
     ███           █           ███
 ████              █              ████
█████             ███             █████
██   ███         █████         ████  ██
██      ███▓    ██ █ ██     ███      ██
██         ██████  █  ██████         ██
██           █████ █ █████           ██
██          ██   █████   ██          ██
██         ██ ███  █  ███ ██         ██
██        ████     █     ████        ██
██     ███ ███     █     ███ ███     ██
██ ████       ████ █  ███       ████ ██
███              █████              ███
   ███             █             ███
      ████         █         ████
          ███      █      ████
             ████  █   ███
                ███████
                  ▀█▀

TELEGRAM
FACEBOOK
TWITTER
REDDIT

LINKEDIN
INSTAGRAM
GITHUB
BITCOINTALK
From Above

Activity: 700
Merit: 520

View Profile
March 12, 2015, 02:45:31 PM

This is a good question, bro

erpbridge
Legendary

Activity: 954

View Profile
March 12, 2015, 04:49:19 PM

We can only answer this question after Ethereum comes out. Before that its pure speculation. If Ethereum can deliver all the promises, it will definitely be a good competitor to bitcoin. But I doubt there will be anything that will take bitcoins place.
TaunSew

Activity: 756
Merit: 506

View Profile
March 12, 2015, 05:04:36 PM
Last edit: March 12, 2015, 05:37:06 PM by TaunSew

I have no idea if Ethereum will be a success. It has kind of been under the radar for a long time now, and I presume the IPO volume was exaggerated. But it will be interesting. I'm sure it will get a pump at some stage.

Vitalik's own blog detailed the distribution - top 100 addresses (addresses =/= people) in Ethereum control 45.7% (ctrl + F 45.7% in the below link).
https://blog.ethereum.org/2014/08/08/ether-sale-a-statistical-overview/

Addresses are not people, it is a common security practice to split your funds up into as many addresses as possible.  So these top 100 addresses could be as few as 5 people.

MaidSafe IPO received laundered MtGox coins.  It may have happened with Ethereum and I imagine people already found the evidence for it but are waiting for Ethereum to launch before exposing it.
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=582731.0

There ain't no Revolution like a NEMolution.  The only solution is Bitcoin's dissolution! NEM!
Brilliantrocket

Activity: 826

View Profile
March 12, 2015, 07:29:49 PM

The main effect will be the Ethereum employees having a good time with the investors' money. They'll make some excuses for why nothing of value was accomplished and move on to something else.
Somekindabitcoin

View Profile
March 12, 2015, 07:35:49 PM

The main effect will be the Ethereum employees having a good time with the investors' money. They'll make some excuses for why nothing of value was accomplished and move on to something else.

Hopefully they're not the next Butterfly labs. This is a lot of money we're talking about!
bitwho
Legendary

Activity: 1274

View Profile
March 13, 2015, 05:46:11 AM

Vitalik's own blog detailed the distribution - top 100 addresses (addresses =/= people) in Ethereum control 45.7% (ctrl + F 45.7% in the below link).
https://blog.ethereum.org/2014/08/08/ether-sale-a-statistical-overview/

Addresses are not people, it is a common security practice to split your funds up into as many addresses as possible.  So these top 100 addresses could be as few as 5 people.

MaidSafe IPO received laundered MtGox coins.  It may have happened with Ethereum and I imagine people already found the evidence for it but are waiting for Ethereum to launch before exposing it.
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=582731.0

i was going to invest. but when i saw that ridiculous amount of btcs "invested" i backed up. The hype was there for sure, but that IPO sold too fast and too high volume for my liking. I sit on the sideline now and will watch it closely
futurebit640

Activity: 910

View Profile
March 13, 2015, 04:02:48 PM

(Ethereum will be released on the 20th of March)

It's several months away, ethereum not going to launch in march
https://blog.ethereum.org/2015/03/03/ethereum-launch-process/
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: