Bitcoin Forum
June 15, 2024, 12:34:12 AM *
News: Voting for pizza day contest

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Remote web access to a miner  (Read 1608 times)
Tecpoint (OP)

Activity: 2
Merit: 0

View Profile
March 11, 2015, 08:06:15 PM

I am wondering if someone can point me to the appropriate resources to get more info.

Is there a way to access miners via the web remotely?

The reason I'm asking, is that I have access (via family connections) to an industrial facility with very cheap power because it is located adjacent to a local power plant. However the facility is very far form me - on the other continent. So I don't want to travel there more than I have to.

Secondly, my friend wants to do it too. Ideally, I would want him to have access to his own miners.

Thanks
monkeynutts

Activity: 139
Merit: 100

View Profile
March 11, 2015, 09:32:19 PM

yes, there are several ways.

id be tempted to use a raspberry pi, have it one the same network as the miners and run openVPN on it.

from your home machine you can then connect the VPN and browse each miners web interface as if you were plugged into the same local network.

Minerkev

Activity: 58
Merit: 10

View Profile
March 11, 2015, 10:11:17 PM

Hard to explain in forums because difficulty...i think you really have to search the web and you need to get into this...
Openvpn is sure safest way! You can also try services like dyndns.org with portforwarding...easy but not as safe
http://wiki.openwrt.org/doc/howto/vpn.openvpn
Have fun  Wink
Tecpoint (OP)

Activity: 2
Merit: 0

View Profile
March 12, 2015, 12:06:44 AM

Thanks for the replies guys.
Based on the advice, I am reading this guide right now:
http://readwrite.com/2014/04/10/raspberry-pi-vpn-tutorial-server-secure-web-browsing
Valzador

Activity: 1316
Merit: 503

View Profile
March 12, 2015, 04:17:13 AM

MinePeon allows you to setup a Raspberry Pi as a host for mining hardware.

You can also access it using a browser using a local ip address.

http://minepeon.com/index.php/Main_Page
aurel57
Legendary

Activity: 1176
Merit: 1000

View Profile
March 16, 2015, 06:25:40 PM

I use Team Viewer and it works great. You need to leave your computer on while away and if your afraid of power outages then use a laptop so the battery will give a couple hours of backup for short outages. But I used to even reboot my computers with Team Viewer and it worked great.
notlist3d
Legendary

Activity: 1456

View Profile
March 16, 2015, 08:19:42 PM

I use Team Viewer and it works great. You need to leave your computer on while away and if your afraid of power outages then use a laptop so the battery will give a couple hours of backup for short outages. But I used to even reboot my computers with Team Viewer and it worked great.

TeamViewer is a great product for this.  With it even if your IP changes your login can get to your house computer.   Once logging in it would be like you are home and can access your miners on the network.
guitarplinker
Legendary

Activity: 1694
Merit: 1024

View Profile WWW
March 17, 2015, 01:08:45 PM

TeamViewer is a great product for this.  With it even if your IP changes your login can get to your house computer.   Once logging in it would be like you are home and can access your miners on the network.
If you decide to go the TeamViewer route I'd set a strong password to connect though. I've heard of people using the default 4-5 character password who've had their machines hacked into and coins stolen, if they keep crypto-coins on their PC unencrypted. I'd personally go the VPN route, for me it would be easier to manage my machines on my phone through the internet browser than through a TeamViewer app.
notlist3d
Legendary

View Profile
March 17, 2015, 03:52:16 PM

If you decide to go the TeamViewer route I'd set a strong password to connect though. I've heard of people using the default 4-5 character password who've had their machines hacked into and coins stolen, if they keep crypto-coins on their PC unencrypted. I'd personally go the VPN route, for me it would be easier to manage my machines on my phone through the internet browser than through a TeamViewer app.

You brought up something I forgot to mention.  As a general rule don't keep a wallet on the computer with remote access.  Have it to log into miners, but don't keep confidential/important documents on it.
hugs1BTC

Activity: 350
Merit: 250

View Profile
March 20, 2015, 05:21:57 PM

I am wondering if someone can point me to the appropriate resources to get more info.

The reason I'm asking, is that I have access (via family connections) to an industrial facility with very cheap power because it is located adjacent to a local power plant. However the facility is very far form me - on the other continent. So I don't want to travel there more than I have to.

Secondly, my friend wants to do it too. Ideally, I would want him to have access to his own miners.

Thanks

Maybe a silly question but...does this facility have internet connection? If yes, VPN would be a great choice. If you're not sure how to use it you can grab software like TeamViewer, it's very easy to install and use. Use a strong password as already recommended.
notlist3d
Legendary

View Profile
March 20, 2015, 07:31:21 PM

Thanks

Maybe a silly question but...does this facility have internet connection? If yes, VPN would be a great choice. If you're not sure how to use it you can grab software like TeamViewer, it's very easy to install and use. Use a strong password as already recommended.

Depending on how technical you are would make a choice to.  TeamViewer takes really no skills to use/install.

If you do VPN make sure you have a static IP.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: