Bitcoin Forum
April 19, 2024, 08:41:36 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 [3]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Freenode / #Bitcoin-Dev Chat Logs  (Read 17001 times)
LZ
Legendary

Activity: 1722
Merit: 1072

P2P Cryptocurrency

View Profile
October 01, 2010, 01:42:41 AM

When you talk with a friend in the street, people around could be listening to your conversation.  So it's a public place.
I think, that the public IRC channel and the real street are quite different things.
Even in the SL world streets look more like real, there is communication distance.
On IRC you always know a number of persons who can see your public messages.
People should behave accordingly and responsibly!.. Or just use private messages.

And yet, would you agree if governments woud decide to put mics everywhere in the street, so that all "public" conversations would be recorded and archived ??
I can not be sure that this is not happening now.

My OpenPGP fingerprint: 5099EB8C0F2E68C63B4ECBB9A9D0993E04143362

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
grondilu
Legendary

Activity: 1288
Merit: 1076

View Profile
October 01, 2010, 02:25:01 AM
Last edit: October 01, 2010, 10:58:21 PM by grondilu

When you talk with a friend in the street, people around could be listening to your conversation.  So it's a public place.
I think, that the public IRC channel and the real street are quite different things.
Even in the SL world streets look more like real, there is communication distance.
On IRC you always know a number of persons who can see your public messages.
People should behave accordingly and responsibly!.. Or just use private messages.

It's not a matter of good behavior, it's a matter of having a place where you can talk without thinking all the time of what would happen if my boss reads what I am writting.   There are a lot of people that I don't want them to know what I like, what I do on casual time, what are my political beliefs, and so on.  I'm not exhibitionnist and therefore I don't want everyone to know everything about me, or even about my pseudonym : I'd like my pseudo to carry some reputation on cyberspace so even for my electronic identity, I want it to have some place where it can be used relatively anonymously.

[/quote]

LZ
Legendary

P2P Cryptocurrency

View Profile
October 01, 2010, 06:55:56 PM

So you can use I2P IRC or something similar. May be I should not save this page because it is public place? Undecided

grondilu
Legendary

View Profile
October 01, 2010, 07:16:49 PM

So you can use I2P IRC or something similar. May be I should not save this page because it is public place? Undecided

Well I'd be sorry to have to resort to that.  IRC was a nice place where people could chat without Google recording everything.  Now people want to log every single chat room...  pff.

LZ
Legendary

P2P Cryptocurrency

View Profile
October 01, 2010, 09:35:02 PM

I understand your feelings, but it's already happening. We should adapt and live with it. Undecided

mizerydearia (OP)

Activity: 574
Merit: 507

View Profile
October 02, 2010, 03:54:27 AM

grondilu, imagine that the IRC channel is being monitored by your government or whomever else that you are afraid of finding certain informations that may have found similar information from public logs.  In that case, you may want to consider what type of information you publish to the Internet.

Well I'd be sorry to have to resort to that.  IRC was a nice place where people could chat without Google recording everything.  Now people want to log every single chat room...  pff.

Not "every single chat room," just the public Bitcoin one.
Cdecker

Activity: 489
Merit: 504

View Profile WWW
October 02, 2010, 01:04:50 PM

Well it's after all a dev channel, so probably we should create a public discussion channel that would not be logged. As a developer myself I find it quite usefull to refer to earlier technical discussions, so a single link can replace having the discussion all over again :-)

Anybody against the channel split?

Want to see what developers are chatting about? http://bitcoinstats.com/irc/bitcoin-dev/logs/
Bitcoin-OTC Rating
grondilu
Legendary

View Profile
October 02, 2010, 03:00:27 PM

I'm fine with a split of the channel.

The topic for #bitcoin-dev might be something like :

"This is the *logged* channel about bitcoin developpement.  For relaxed non-logged chat about bitcoin, join #bicoin-..."

mizerydearia (OP)

Activity: 574
Merit: 507

View Profile
October 02, 2010, 04:36:00 PM

#bitcoin-support ?

Perhaps it may be useful to have a separate channel in which newbies can join to ask faq and to not interrupt or interfere with discussions/conversations of established users.
Cdecker

View Profile WWW
October 11, 2010, 07:17:40 PM

Ok, I'll be releasing the logs starting from October 1st, I have them from 1st September but since it was undecided then I'll leave them out as a grace period Cheesy

So here you go: http://veritas.maximilianeum.ch/bitcoin/irc/logs/

Comments and requests are always welcome Cheesy

Want to see what developers are chatting about? http://bitcoinstats.com/irc/bitcoin-dev/logs/
Bitcoin-OTC Rating
kermit

Activity: 9
Merit: 0

View Profile
October 15, 2010, 11:10:23 PM

Cdecker, that was great when you said and did "I will of course remove all mappings from pseudonym to IP address (IRC Join, Part, Whois, ...) but I guess keeping the nicknames in place would be acceptable for everybody"   but now they're back in the link you just posted, did you change your mind or was that an oversight?
Cdecker

View Profile WWW
October 17, 2010, 02:09:57 PM

Oops, I'm incredibly sorry, I will ofcourse remove the ips. I've forgotten about them, but since the logs are not indexed by the search engines it shouldn't have too many repercussion.

Bitcoin-OTC Rating
Cdecker

View Profile WWW
October 17, 2010, 03:33:01 PM

Cdecker, that was great when you said and did "I will of course remove all mappings from pseudonym to IP address (IRC Join, Part, Whois, ...) but I guess keeping the nicknames in place would be acceptable for everybody"   but now they're back in the link you just posted, did you change your mind or was that an oversight?
Ok, I created a regular expression to replace IPs so they should not appear anymore. If the replacement does not work, please tell me and I'll fix it as fast as possible Cheesy

Bitcoin-OTC Rating
FreeMoney
Legendary

Activity: 1246
Merit: 1014

Strength in numbers

View Profile WWW
October 17, 2010, 09:19:41 PM

I agree to be archived. And I think that everyone should be archived. It is public place!

And yet, would you agree if governments woud decide to put mics everywhere in the street, so that all "public" conversations would be recorded and archived ??

This is not a valid comparison at all. No one is talking about stealing milions/billions of dollars to spy on the same people you stole from and using the data to selectively attack, imprison, rape, and even kill people.

The comparison would be: A person records audio on the street with their own resources and puts it on the web for others to hear. And no, I have no problem whatsoever with this.

Play Bitcoin Poker at sealswithclubs.eu. We're active and open to everyone.
grondilu
Legendary

View Profile
October 18, 2010, 09:34:16 AM

The comparison would be: A person records audio on the street with their own resources and puts it on the web for others to hear. And no, I have no problem whatsoever with this.

Well, I have.

Although it may be legal, I think it would be gross/rude.  Actually I saw once a reportage about a photographer would took picture of people in the subway.  He had to make sure people don't find out he was photographing.  I wouldn't feel comfortable doing this, personnaly.

Maybe it's legal, maybe it's not, I don't know.  Google had some trouble in EU with its Google cars, so there is definitely an issue with capturing "public" data.

There are things beyond law :  habits, politeness, and well-behavior.  Capturing data in the street, images or sound, is very much controversal, in my opinion.

Anonymous

October 18, 2010, 11:49:56 AM

Well, I have.

Although it may be legal, I think it would be gross/rude.  Actually I saw once a reportage about a photographer would took picture of people in the subway.  He had to make sure people don't find out he was photographing.  I wouldn't feel comfortable doing this, personnaly.

Maybe it's legal, maybe it's not, I don't know.  Google had some trouble in EU with its Google cars, so there is definitely an issue with capturing "public" data.

There are things beyond law :  habits, politeness, and well-behavior.  Capturing data in the street, images or sound, is very much controversal, in my opinion.

I have no problem with beauracrats being filmed while on the job. The fact they are starting to crack down on people for filming those who are supposed to be "servants" is proof that it is a good thing. Go to youtube and search for "police brutality" to see why more cameras in public is a valuable tool. Live streaming to the internet is the best protection you have against corrupt public officials.
Pages: « 1 2 [3]  All
  Print  

Jump to: