Bitcoin Forum
May 01, 2024, 09:32:06 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: WTB simple little Wal Wart, but having trouble pinning one down, frustrated :/  (Read 1114 times)
sloopy (OP)

Activity: 700
Merit: 501

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=905210.msg

View Profile
March 12, 2015, 03:01:51 AM

So I picked up a couple of Procurve Gigabit switches and thought I received a great deal.
There were not any power supplies included, just the little wal warts.

From the HP manual it shows part number 5188-5671 for the US.
Then I found:
http://www.amazon.com/UpBright%C2%AE-Adapter-5188-5671-MT12-4120100-A1-JetDirect/dp/B00DN8JQ2O
At Amazon.
But I am not convinced this is the right thing, and I have probably spent way more money using my time all evening at radio shack and wal mart. I could have bought a new switch by this point, but live and learn.

I considered splicing the right connector on the end of a wal wart I have which is the right voltage and amp draw, but cant seem to nail down what end I need. I tried a billion of these things trying to get them to fit at radio shack and never found one which fit correctly.

Can someone tell me if they happen to have one or a few they want to sell or point me int he right direction?

From the manual it states:
DC voltage: 12-13 volts
Maximum current: 1.0-0.8 A

But cook me for dinner, cover me with A1 I cannot find the little end which goes on it. Maybe I should be trying digikey, but I'm not sure what the barrel connector on the end is called.

I must be more careful on my ebay order, very small letters at the bottom "-no power supply included", of course I bought two haha

Transaction fees go to the pools and the pools decide to pay them to the miners. Anything else, including off-chain solutions are stealing and not the way Bitcoin was intended to function.
Make the block size set by the pool. Pool = miners and they get the choice.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
xwtfbobx

Activity: 168
Merit: 100

View Profile
March 12, 2015, 03:32:15 AM

digikey may be better help than radioshack, i usually go around the house and check to see if i have plugs of similar size and take one with me if i have to go to the shack or frys

tip the bit to me:   1HZP4RD2CQgMRWTjdLfws7ukTmKxiLQv3q

Scrypt.cc Check it out!
baldpope

Activity: 144
Merit: 100

View Profile
March 12, 2015, 01:35:47 PM

It's difficult (for me atleast) to make out the end on the image from the Amazon link - can you take a pic of the appliance side power input?
sloopy (OP)

View Profile
March 12, 2015, 11:49:02 PM

I appreciate the feedback.

I looked at my choices:

I can purchase one. Cheapest I found was that link to the one on amazon, with shipping it looks like 15 bucks and a week wait.
I can pickup an N type connector from radio shack and solder it on, but I still have to come up with a power supply to use. I looked through all of my adapters and none are the same voltage and amperage. In the end it looks like I will still need to purchase a couple. I can solder a wire to the bottom of the board where the factory connector is soldered in, and then I could use a couple of power adapters I have, cut the ends off, put a resistor in line, but it doesn't sound like that is going to end up very clean.

It probably sounds like I am being a cheap-ass and should just order the things, but I had a set budget for a switch for this project, and I would like to keep in it. I thought I was buying two switches for what I budgeted for one. Jokes on me haha

I would rather have a proper adapter which fits it, and I so stupidly bought two of these, so need two adapters. I think the switches will be great, and I guess I got what I paid for. Thanks for any ideas.

http://imgur.com/f1qAtko
http://imgur.com/i2S770H

Transaction fees go to the pools and the pools decide to pay them to the miners. Anything else, including off-chain solutions are stealing and not the way Bitcoin was intended to function.
sidehack
Legendary

Activity: 3318
Merit: 1848

Curmudgeonly hardware guy

View Profile
March 12, 2015, 11:54:52 PM

As long as it's able to supply at least the required current at rated voltage, you're good. Anything 12V >1A will work; don't worry about trying to find exactly 0.8-1.0A supply. That thing you said about cutting off the end and putting in a resistor can't not be a terrible idea.

Cool, quiet and up to 1TH pod miner, on sale now!
Currently in development - 200+GH USB stick; 6TH volt-adjustable S1/3/5 upgrade kit
Server PSU interface boards and cables. USB and small-scale miners. Hardware hosting, advice and odd-jobs. Supporting the home miner community since 2013 - http://www.gekkoscience.com
sloopy (OP)

View Profile
March 13, 2015, 12:46:02 AM

As long as it's able to supply at least the required current at rated voltage, you're good. Anything 12V >1A will work; don't worry about trying to find exactly 0.8-1.0A supply. That thing you said about cutting off the end and putting in a resistor can't not be a terrible idea.

Thank you for the reply sidehack, much appreciated. I'll get off my butt and hit Radio Shack and if they don't have it then I know the electrical shop at work will. I don't like going up there much anymore. We used to have all Ladies wiring our boxes, and that team did great work.

I thought about it and I'll never sell these, so I may as well make it nice so I never have to worry about the power adapter again.
It is also much more fun than ordering something and waiting a week.

alh
Legendary

Activity: 1843
Merit: 1050

View Profile
March 16, 2015, 11:17:15 PM

If you haven't already done so, I would suggest you invest $10 and get a volt meter to check polarity and voltage. Particularly if you are going to start splicing connectors and wire. My apologies if this is already obvious.
sloopy (OP)

View Profile
March 17, 2015, 01:04:52 AM

If you haven't already done so, I would suggest you invest $10 and get a volt meter to check polarity and voltage. Particularly if you are going to start splicing connectors and wire. My apologies if this is already obvious.

I have one and am definitely with you. I have been sidetracked with another project and have not gotten back to this one, but luckily I found a 2nd adapter this past weekend with the right voltage and amperage just the wrong connector, but at least now I have an easier, cleaner solution.

Thanks for the reply, it never hurts to mention these things.

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: