Bitcoin Forum
May 22, 2024, 09:23:43 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: un-userfriendliness limiting bitcoin?  (Read 2089 times)
Nyhm

Activity: 216
Merit: 100

View Profile WWW
August 11, 2012, 03:05:57 AM

Here's my answer for userfriendliness for Bitcoin: VanillaWallet http://vanillawallet.com/

[Bitcoin Game List] ~ [BitcoinGalaxy.net Live Bitcoin Visualization] ~ [PotentialGames.com]
Charlie Prime

Activity: 406
Merit: 250

View Profile
August 14, 2012, 04:37:39 PM

"Double-click to run, or command-line: java -jar VanillaWallet.jar Important: Experimental software! Use at your own risk. (See Caveats.)
Thank You! 1VWezk22HHy8ddeQMeNS4RDrBuX2zgweE Version 0.2 (Alpha) This software is provided "as-is" without warranty of any kind, express or implied. Use at your own risk. This software is not yet well-tested. You may lose your bitcoins!"

Whomever built that website has zero understanding of New Users.

This reminds me of people who insist http://www.openbsd.org is easy and friendly for new users if they would just read the seven hundred pages of documentation and bootlick the social malcontents who are expert at it.  Yes, easy.   Cool

Ambit    ██
██  ██
██  ██
██  ██
██  ██
██  ██
██  ██
██  ██
██  ██
██  ██
██  █████
██
████████████
Become part of the mining family
✔ SECURED  │ WHITEPAPER │  ★ 171% ROI
██   
██  ██
██  ██
██  ██
██  ██
██  ██
██  ██
██  ██
██  ██
██  ██
█████  ██
██
████████████
Nyhm

View Profile WWW
August 14, 2012, 05:16:23 PM
Last edit: August 14, 2012, 05:29:22 PM by Nyhm

"Double-click to run, or command-line: java -jar VanillaWallet.jar Important: Experimental software! Use at your own risk. (See Caveats.)
Thank You! 1VWezk22HHy8ddeQMeNS4RDrBuX2zgweE Version 0.2 (Alpha) This software is provided "as-is" without warranty of any kind, express or implied. Use at your own risk. This software is not yet well-tested. You may lose your bitcoins!"

Whomever built that website has zero understanding of New Users.

This reminds me of people who insist http://www.openbsd.org is easy and friendly for new users if they would just read the seven hundred pages of documentation and bootlick the social malcontents who are expert at it.  Yes, easy.   Cool

Ha! Yes, I totally agree. Even Ubuntu, which claims to be for "normal human beings" is barely usable without a working knowledge of Linux.

I realize that Java apps are not the easiest thing for non-technical end users. Consider this an Alpha "tech preview" -- I'll make a statement on the site to that effect. When I get to Beta, I plan to provide platform builds (Win .exe, Mac .dmg). See the Potential Features section of the Instructions.

Thanks for your feedback!

UPDATE: (10 min later) Does the new "Important" text help clarify the current status of VanillaWallet for prospective new users? vanillawallet.com

[Bitcoin Game List] ~ [BitcoinGalaxy.net Live Bitcoin Visualization] ~ [PotentialGames.com]
nrb

Activity: 15
Merit: 0

View Profile
August 15, 2012, 02:36:29 AM

The reference client is definitely a major point of difficulty right now. It takes days to catch up the current block. The other primary pain point is currency conversion. Considering transactions can't be charged back, you would think turning BTC into USD would have MUCH less friction.
Cataclysmic

Activity: 25

View Profile
August 15, 2012, 04:29:12 AM

Just adding another vote for: Yes, absolutely user-unfriendliness is limiting bitcoin.  I'm worried that the developers don't actually acknowledge the usability problems, or that they think they're not serious.
jermwerty

Activity: 472

View Profile
August 15, 2012, 06:05:42 AM

I don't know...  There is a certain amount of "unfriendliness" when you go Open Source.  Its not like Apple where it "just works" for mom & dad.

Bitcoin does have a bit of RTFM in it.  Not really sure how to solve it.  In some ways you can't.  One 15Ghash miner I knew lost 80BTC in a wallet when the USB stick it was on died.  RIP coins. This isn't VISA people!
deeplink

Activity: 728
Merit: 500

In cryptography we trust

View Profile
August 15, 2012, 11:15:52 AM

The official client is still in beta. Many services related to it are just getting going as well.
Bitcoin is not yet ready for prime time. Patience.

I'm sure it does limit bitcoin somewhat, but remember this is still in beta. For a beta level new technology it is not particularly hard.

I repeat: it is still in beta

How easy to use was a PC in the 80s ? Or the internet in 90s ?
Nyhm

View Profile WWW
August 16, 2012, 01:49:04 AM

How easy to use was a PC in the 80s ? Or the internet in 90s ?

That is an excellent point! Bitcoin is an inherently complicated technology, and it'll take time for developers to really capture its essence. Regarding the defacto Satoshi client, it's job isn't to be easy, but to implement all the core features correctly (although it seems to also showcase some ancillary features that muddle the focus, which is historically understandable, since it had to show what could be done in the first place).

freeAgent

Activity: 240

View Profile
August 16, 2012, 04:13:53 AM

Bitcoin is extremely non-user-friendly.  Blockchain seems to be the most user-friendly wallet service, but it still has almost no support or help.  If you haven't done significant research into Bitcoin outside of that site, you'll be completely lost.  On top of that, the whole process of converting dollars into Bitcoins is generally pretty complicated.  When it's not complicated, such as when using BitInstant, you have to pay a pretty big overhead for the convenience.  Perhaps even worse, you have to deal with unknown companies.  A lot of them give off a fly-by-night vibe.  It's not like hopping in your car and driving down to the nearest megabank branch.  That's why I've decided that for me, mining is the way to go.  I'm converting dollars into Bitcoin with no overhead (already had my graphics card) using electricity as the medium of exchange.

Anyway, as far as the future goes, I can only see Bitcoin breaking out of its niche status if it gains wider popularity in the general economy.  I've seen a lot of Bitcoin auction sites clones come and go.  There are a few up right now, but it's not a huge market, and it's definitely not established.  Browsing Bitmit, it appears that many of the goods being auctioned are counterfeit/pirated in the case of software or priced more than one could buy the same product new from a reputable retailer in USD for physical goods.
jago25_98

Activity: 900
Merit: 1000

Crypto Geek

View Profile WWW
September 11, 2012, 08:51:04 AM

id like to know more on how people typically find out about  bitcoin and how they then begin to use it. for me I think iI read about it from another alternative currency program, I think that was ripple. I was very confused at first, and didn't know what was happening. Had the usual port forwarding problem and didn't even know what the block chain was. my balance was zero so at that point iI almost lost interest. I remember just quitting the program. that was in the days of sub 10 cent rates. at that point iI didn't even know there was an exchange! aA few months later I heard about it again when the price doubled to something still less than a dollar so iI decided to buy a small amount as it might be useful for paying for an ssh account. I only wanted to buy that one thing- no speculation. I gave up on mining after about a day.

I suspect a similar process happens now. People probably go straight to bitcoin.org download the client and go from there. I think the client there should have links to help people along such as where to exchange, p2p pool and block chain less versions along with why it's worth the wait to get the block chain.

If someone is introduced in person to bitcoin the process is pro ably going to be a lot smoother but at the moment it's probably mostly from online.

cli cidently iI asked at Brighton maker faire for bitcoin addresses and of the ~8 people iI asked none of them had heard of it. It would have Ben useful as iI ran out of cash. These are all intelligent people, I should have donated a few coins to show it off

Bitcoiner since the early days. Crypto YouTube Channel: Trading Nomads | Analyst | News Reporter | Bitcoin Hodler | Support Freedom of Speech!
Akka
Legendary

Activity: 1232
Merit: 1001

View Profile
September 11, 2012, 09:44:54 AM

I understand that many people here in the Forum are Software developers or somehow associated to software. I still have the feeling many (most) here don't get how confusing bitcoin is to the average joe.

Also when I look at the alternative clients that you can currently use. Most of them don't make it easier and some even worse.

What would be a great step to make it easier would be a way that people don't have necessarily deal with the BTC-Address numbers. A way to directly add addresses to you client from webpages would be a great step IMO.

For example:

On bitmint I have just on Button "Send BTC to bitmint". When I click on it my BTC-Client opens and asks me "Do you want to add "Bitmint Akkount Akka" to your adress Book?". Now I have that Name in my address book and can send BTC to it, without having to deal with the addressees.

Also a button "receive" BTC, where by on clicking on it my Client transfers a receiving address in the background. And I just have to put in the amount.

That would be a great step to make the BTC use easier.

Can't be so hard to implement this feature, can it?

All previous versions of currency will no longer be supported as of this update
FLHippy

Activity: 784
Merit: 101

View Profile
September 11, 2012, 09:52:06 AM

To what extent do you think bitcoin is limited by un-userfriendliness?
I'm sure most of us here on the forums have worked out how to setup a wallet and make transactions but for the general population, particularly those who are somewhat computer illiterate using bitcoin would be a daunting task.
How can bitcoin cater for these people?

You know, I sell small quantities of coin to these types of people.
They really rely on my help. I have walked most of my regular customers through problems with their transactions on the telephone.

A lot of people say eBay is a coin sellers disaster waiting to happen and they are right especially for larger coin amounts. But It's much more of a place where noobs can buy a small number of coins and get help from the person who sold them the coins.

Bitcoin can cater to these people by offering a hand-holding redemption and purchase service.

To the person who sets this up commercially please hire me. I code mobile apps for a living now and I like it but my boss sucks.

WHALES HEAVEN
Custody-free Swapping Platform
◈  ────────  Reddit ⬝  BountyWebsiteTelegramTwitterGitHub  ────────  ◈
BitcoinRate.com

Activity: 116
Merit: 11

View Profile WWW
September 11, 2012, 09:54:51 AM

It severely limits Bitcoin I would say. Even tech savvy people I know don't use it/don't get it because it is just too vague and because of the hackers threats etc. That's why I think the greatest effort in the community should be on making it easily accesible for normal people.

With regards to wallet services I think Coinbase.com is doing the best job in making it simple and abstracting away the technical stuff.

★ Get +16GB extra on your Dropbox: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=142163.0
SuperHakka

Activity: 196

View Profile
September 11, 2012, 10:56:28 AM

Hihi,

I think that the BTC protocal/software/community has to sort out a few fundamentals before BTC can go really mainstream.

1. I don't have two BTCs to rub together, but if I was wealthy and had millions of BTCs, it would be far too easy to accidently or drunkenly send it all off to an address in the ether which may or may not belong to anybody. There needs to be checks and balances in place so that the average person doesn't wreck their life at the click on a mouse button. Well, it's their own damn stupid fault you may say, but any mainstream transaction system should cater to the lowest common denominator of stupidity. There needs to be a fine line between allowing a user full freedom with their money and having helpful restrictions so that they don't end up jumping off the nearest tall building.

2. You got to ASSUME that the average user's hard disk is compromised and unencrypted and that Fred Smith doesn't know about the benefits of encryption or even that he should do it whenever possible. This is an education exercise for sure. But any mainstream desktop wallet should assume it is going to be installed in an hostile environment.

3. Damn that blockchain takes forever to download. You have to assume the average user isn't using the latest CPU tech and doesn't have the solid state drive. I stopped mine after 36 hours, probably had another 48 hours to go. Just opened a wallet on blockchain. Oh btw, somebody should be buying up any domains with bitcoin derivative in it and hold them until the community needs it because nobody I know is going to store their money on a website called blockchain.com

4. We need a part-time professional journo to write articles for the mass media. We can pay him or her in BTC of course. Also need an army of ninjas going round and defending bitcoins honour whenever websites or user comments on blogs say something false about bitcoin. Ninja has their BTC address with their comment of course!

Anyhoo, just a noob's 2 mBTC

'First they ignore you. Then they laugh at you. Then they attack you. Then you win.' - Mohandas Gandhi
"Whenever I'm about to do something, I think, 'Would an idiot do this?' and if he would, I do not do that thing." - Dwight Schrute
hunky dory

Activity: 6

View Profile
September 11, 2012, 01:34:17 PM

I like to think of it like this: If your grandma can use it without asking you a question in the first ten minutes, you've achieved the right amount of user-friendliness. It needs to be so simple that it becomes routine instantly. Any less and you won't see mass adoption.
Nyhm

View Profile WWW
September 11, 2012, 01:40:43 PM

I like to think of it like this: If your grandma can use it without asking you a question in the first ten minutes, you've achieved the right amount of user-friendliness. It needs to be so simple that it becomes routine instantly. Any less and you won't see mass adoption.

Very good criteria. I built VanillaWallet to be as simple as possible, but it still has some rough edges. My focus right now is the core functionality (which has been very stable). I'm awaiting BitCoinJ v0.6, so I can use its wallet encryption, then I will go into Beta. A work in progress, but I think it has potential to be a much easier wallet for new users (as well as tech savvy folks). Community feedback is always welcome (discussion topic).

usafinders

Activity: 28

View Profile
May 08, 2013, 01:51:02 PM

I don't like the term "official" client.
Quietlylurking

Activity: 7

View Profile
May 08, 2013, 01:59:36 PM

Infrastructure will happen. Eventually.

Fiat has decades and ridiculous quantities of money spent building up it's electronic infrastructure to the polished high speed state it is currently in.

Bitcoin has years.... And mere weeks of actual popularity. Give it time, infrastructure is costly and time consuming.
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  

Jump to: