Bitcoin Forum
June 18, 2024, 07:43:38 PM *
News: Voting for pizza day contest

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Can you make more money as a bear than being a bull in this market?  (Read 1480 times)
Tim Johnson (OP)

Activity: 28
Merit: 0

View Profile
August 05, 2012, 06:50:50 PM

?
adamstgBit
Legendary

Activity: 1904
Merit: 1037

Trusted Bitcoiner

View Profile WWW
August 05, 2012, 07:07:22 PM

lol! yes

no

Maybe!

watch out when a new bitcoinia comes along

SkRRJyTC
Legendary

Activity: 1008
Merit: 1000

View Profile
August 05, 2012, 07:12:55 PM

I think Thursday, but if not, definitely Toyota.
+1
Dargo
Legendary

Activity: 1820

View Profile
August 05, 2012, 10:37:08 PM

The market is currently in an uptrend, meaning that it has been more profitable to be a bull than a bear. Best strategy going forward is to trade with the trend - i.e. be a bull - until the trend breaks. How do you know when the trend breaks? You have to learn technical analysis. 
ArticMine
Legendary

Activity: 2282
Merit: 1050

Monero Core Team

View Profile
August 05, 2012, 11:27:06 PM

I see the risk of being a bear with Bitcoin in this market as massive. It is not just about loosing it all. It is about how deep in the hole one can go by shorting Bitcoin.

Concerned that blockchain bloat will lead to centralization? Storing less than 4 GB of data once required the budget of a superpower and a warehouse full of punched cards. https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/8/87/IBM_card_storage.NARA.jpg https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Punched_card
Vandroiy
Legendary

Activity: 1036
Merit: 1002

View Profile
August 06, 2012, 12:03:15 AM

Feels like it's most profitable to be more bearish than the usual forum user, but not so bearish that you forget Bitcoins are worth something.

BTW, I disagree with Dargo. Trends and chart analysis become decreasingly useful the healthier a market becomes. Excessive following of trends is the main reason average humans trade worse than random. Personally, I see trends as no more than the skew of the probability distribution for future price, and thus use them only to determine the size of moves, not their direction.

Admittedly, there have been users who showed that trends on BTCUSD has been strong enough to be exploited, see Goomboo's Journal for an example. But such methods not only require good back-testing, but also a model of when they stop being profitable, and how much you lose before you notice it stopped working.
smoothie
Legendary

Activity: 2492
Merit: 1473

LEALANA Bitcoin Grim Reaper

View Profile
August 06, 2012, 12:13:53 AM

The market is currently in an uptrend, meaning that it has been more profitable to be a bull than a bear. Best strategy going forward is to trade with the trend - i.e. be a bull - until the trend breaks. How do you know when the trend breaks? You have to learn technical analysis. 

I.e. Learning how to draw lines.

TA isn't difficult. Just lines.

███████████████████████████████████████

,╓p@@███████@╗╖,           
        ,p████████████████████N,       
      d█████████████████████████b     
    d██████████████████████████████æ   
  ,████²█████████████████████████████, 
 ,█████  ╙████████████████████╨  █████y
 ██████    `████████████████`    ██████
║██████       Ñ███████████`      ███████
███████         ╩██████Ñ         ███████
███████    ▐▄     ²██╩     a▌    ███████
╢██████    ▐▓█▄          ▄█▓▌    ███████
 ██████    ▐▓▓▓▓▌,     ▄█▓▓▓▌    ██████─
           ▐▓▓▓▓▓▓█,,▄▓▓▓▓▓▓▌          
           ▐▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▌          
    ▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓─  
     ²▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓╩    
        ▀▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▀       
           ²▀▀▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▀▀`          
                   ²²²                 
███████████████████████████████████████

. ★☆ WWW.LEALANA.COM        My PGP fingerprint is A764D833.                  History of Monero development Visualization ★☆ .
LEALANA BITCOIN GRIM REAPER SILVER COINS.

Qoheleth
Legendary

Activity: 960
Merit: 1028

Spurn wild goose chases. Seek that which endures.

View Profile WWW
August 06, 2012, 04:18:21 PM

In this market, I think you can make more unrealized gains by being a bull.

But to make more money, you have to become a bear before the wind changes.

If there is something that will make Bitcoin succeed, it is growth of utility - greater quantity and variety of goods and services offered for BTC. If there is something that will make Bitcoin fail, it is the prevalence of users convinced that BTC is a magic box that will turn them into millionaires, and of the con-artists who have followed them here to devour them.
Qoheleth
Legendary

Activity: 960
Merit: 1028

Spurn wild goose chases. Seek that which endures.

View Profile WWW
August 06, 2012, 04:26:53 PM

BTW, I disagree with Dargo. Trends and chart analysis become decreasingly useful the healthier a market becomes. Excessive following of trends is the main reason average humans trade worse than random.
There's a difference between "following trends" out of human nature/crowd logic, and "using trends as input into a well-defined strategy and following the output of the strategy". The former is a losing strategy in the long run, but the latter is the basis of many successful asset trading methodologies (the Turtle system, for one example).

If there is something that will make Bitcoin succeed, it is growth of utility - greater quantity and variety of goods and services offered for BTC. If there is something that will make Bitcoin fail, it is the prevalence of users convinced that BTC is a magic box that will turn them into millionaires, and of the con-artists who have followed them here to devour them.
Dargo
Legendary

Activity: 1820

View Profile
August 06, 2012, 06:56:16 PM

BTW, I disagree with Dargo. Trends and chart analysis become decreasingly useful the healthier a market becomes. Excessive following of trends is the main reason average humans trade worse than random.
There's a difference between "following trends" out of human nature/crowd logic, and "using trends as input into a well-defined strategy and following the output of the strategy". The former is a losing strategy in the long run, but the latter is the basis of many successful asset trading methodologies (the Turtle system, for one example).

+1 Successful technical traders don't simply "follow trends." But they generally do trade with the trend in the sense that they will trade more long set-ups than short set-ups in a market that is in an uptrend (and vice-versa in a downtrend). 
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: