Bitcoin Forum
May 10, 2024, 10:17:33 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: When asking for a refund from a seller....  (Read 2152 times)
Tabata11 (OP)

Activity: 290
Merit: 250

View Profile
March 13, 2015, 05:34:25 AM

If I want to get a refund from a seller I should receive the full amount of Bitcoins I paid to the seller correct?
Whoever mines the block which ends up containing your transaction will get its fee.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
redsn0w
Legendary

Activity: 1778
Merit: 1042

#Free market

View Profile
March 13, 2015, 05:41:11 AM

If I want to get a refund from a seller I should receive the full amount of Bitcoins I paid to the seller correct?

If he wants to give back a refund, the answer is yes. If he is not honest, you will not receive any amount and you can open a "scam" accusation in the correct forum section.
Muhammed Zakir

Activity: 560
Merit: 506

I prefer Zakir over Muhammed when mentioning me!

View Profile WWW
March 13, 2015, 05:41:54 AM
Last edit: March 14, 2015, 08:13:08 AM by Muhammed Zakir

It will depend on the TOS. Some services charge a % of the amount you gave when refunding but some doesn't. So it will depend on the TOS. Could you tell which service are you talking about?

Tabata11 (OP)

View Profile
March 13, 2015, 05:51:00 AM

If he wants to give back a refund, the answer is yes. If he is not honest, you will not receive any amount and you can open a "scam" accusation in the correct forum section.

Ok, that is what I thought too. Thank you. Smiley
NUFCrichard
Legendary

Activity: 1218
Merit: 1003

View Profile
March 13, 2015, 10:02:36 AM

I would expect that many would refund you the USD amount of the transaction, otherwise they are always at risk of a big market move leading to lots of refunds being requested.
There hasn't been any massive move in the last few weeks, so it shouldn't be a problem though.

To turn it around, if you bought something when bitcoin was $1000, would you want a BTC refund if the price had fallen to $300?
onlyyou

Activity: 154
Merit: 100

View Profile
March 13, 2015, 10:32:08 AM

if indeed there is agreement from buyer and seller and the goods purchased not in accordance with expected
then you should be get refund full of you bitcoin in accordance with the deal

goose20
Legendary

Activity: 1173
Merit: 1000

View Profile
March 14, 2015, 04:35:46 AM

I'm reading your question to be a refund in btc versus a refund in fiat equivalent.

I agree with NUFCrichard above...given that btc can have spikes and fiat is more stable atm - I think it should be fiat equivalent for time being.

Otherwise if the price of btc has changed a fair bit, there will be an unhappy/unwilling side.

Not too many people would be happy getting a 2 btc refund ($600 fiat equivalent) when they paid 2 btc ($2000 fiat equivalent). But on the hand, they'll be expecting their full 2btc when the price has gone the other way (in their favour).

It's easy to stand your ground and argue the point when the price has gone in your favour - but regardless, I think people should be fair.

Quickseller
Copper Member
Legendary

Activity: 2870
Merit: 2300

View Profile
March 14, 2015, 05:11:49 AM

I would personally say it depends on how the amount of bitcoin you paid was determined. If you paid in terms of fiat then you should get a similar amount of fait worth of Bitcoin back but if you paid in terms of botcoin then you should get a similar amount of bitcoin back.

For example if you paid $100 worth of bitcoin for something then you should get $100 worth of bitcoin back but if you paid .25 for something then you should get .25 back.
foxkyu

Activity: 938

View Profile
March 15, 2015, 04:31:55 PM

it's depend on SLA (sales level agreement)
when you have a problem with their service you can claim compensation/refund
every company use different policy about this
bitboy11

Activity: 534
Merit: 500

View Profile
March 26, 2015, 10:20:35 PM

If the merchant is honorable, you should receive a full refund of the US dollar value.
You should not expect to get back the original Bitcoin amount as this is subject to volatile changes.
Tabata11 (OP)

View Profile
March 29, 2015, 12:24:02 AM

If the merchant is honorable, you should receive a full refund of the US dollar value.
You should not expect to get back the original Bitcoin amount as this is subject to volatile changes.

Yup, I got the refund back in US dollar value. The merchant explained that since they can't control the price of bitcoin they refunded in US dollar value. So I thought it was fair in the end to receive it in dollar value.
gkv9
Legendary

Activity: 1246

!!! RiSe aBovE ThE StoRm !!!

View Profile
April 08, 2015, 03:28:30 AM

If he ain't promising you the full refund, then I think instead of going for a dispute, you should go with what he is allowing, still try to bargain a bit more upside...

But don't lose it completely, as something is better than nothing...

EasyD

Activity: 62
Merit: 0

View Profile
April 22, 2015, 07:57:04 AM

As a merchant in valuable electronics, I would never agree to refund the purchase in BTC. As someone mentioned above, a swift price change in BTC, and the fraudulent returns begin. I plan to convert my BTC to USD instantly to cover operating costs and to source more inventory.

Until BTC stabilizes, I wouldn't agree to refunding BTC.

achow101
Staff
Legendary

Activity: 3388
Merit: 6635

Just writing some code

View Profile WWW
April 28, 2015, 12:58:09 PM

I was requested refund from Bitronictech from renting VPS it's cost is 7.99 usd.
I can't remember how much Bitcoin I paid but they full refuned me depend on current Bitcoin price.

jdebunt
Legendary

Activity: 1596
Merit: 1010

View Profile WWW
April 29, 2015, 12:46:40 PM

This. Using Bitcoin to pay goods or services priced in fiat currency are always a risk for us Bitcoin users in that regard. But well worth it if it's just a small amount Smiley
godlyitems

Activity: 224
Merit: 100

View Profile
April 29, 2015, 02:21:28 PM

Well i dont think so, because when someone transfer its gonna get fee from that.
I think it decrease a bit from the total of the transfer.
But better talk to the seller calmly and respect for each other. So the seller wanna refund it.
Quickseller
Copper Member
Legendary

Activity: 2870
Merit: 2300

View Profile
April 29, 2015, 02:34:22 PM

This. Using Bitcoin to pay goods or services priced in fiat currency are always a risk for us Bitcoin users in that regard. But well worth it if it's just a small amount Smiley
What if you are buying something like a mining contract or something else that produces income in terms of Bitcoin (like a Bitcoin talk account)? Or what if you purchased something like gold or silver bars? What you suggest makes sense only if you are dealing in terms of dollars however when dealing in other pricing methods this is going to be bad for one of the parties.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: