Bitcoin Forum
May 04, 2024, 03:13:32 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Warning: One or more bitcointalk.org users have reported that they strongly believe that the creator of this topic is a scammer. (Login to see the detailed trust ratings.) While the bitcointalk.org administration does not verify such claims, you should proceed with extreme caution.
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Will Bank ask questions if I withdraw too much Bitcoin?  (Read 1147 times)
Vita2 (OP)

Activity: 58
Merit: 0

View Profile
March 13, 2015, 10:21:47 AM

So I opened a regular checking bank account and I have Bitcoins from 2012s.
Would bank ask questions if I were to withdraw about ~10-20k USD per month through exchanges?

Do banks do that?

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Each block is stacked on top of the previous one. Adding another block to the top makes all lower blocks more difficult to remove: there is more "weight" above each block. A transaction in a block 6 blocks deep (6 confirmations) will be very difficult to remove.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
erpbridge
Legendary

Activity: 954
Merit: 1000

View Profile
March 13, 2015, 10:44:22 AM

I am sure they do , but not in all cases. If you have a lot of those transactions then they might ask you to provide the source of that income, and saying bitcoin wouldn't be the best option in that case.
I would rather suggest doing a cash transaction with a trusted trader multiple times maybe.
Ashwell John

Activity: 185
Merit: 100

View Profile
March 13, 2015, 11:57:54 AM

I don't think they will ask if you withdraw but sometimes if they suspect you may ask.

coinpr0n

Activity: 910

View Profile
March 13, 2015, 12:00:49 PM

I don't think they will mind too much. The thing is all your transactions are well recorded there so you will got to fess up to it (taxes) at some point.

erikalui
Legendary

Activity: 2632
Merit: 1094

View Profile WWW
March 13, 2015, 12:16:27 PM

Bank does ask questions when the amount is big just for verification. They do it to ensure the money is being used to legal purposes and if you have been withdrawing for a long time, I don't think that the process would take a long time.

haploid23
Legendary

Activity: 812
Merit: 1002

View Profile WWW
March 14, 2015, 11:10:17 AM

If your bills are only a few hundred every month, then all of a sudden you consistently withdraw $20k each time, this will raise red flags. It's relative to your current normal activities, withdraw size, and average account balance. Won't be too bad if your income is high, or if you have very high balance already in there. But if your balances are always low and the bitcoin withdraws are a few magnitudes higher, you can expect an account closure. Doesn't matter if it's legit or not, they'll deem you as "high risk" and will close.

This is why I try to minimize BTC transactions that has to pass through the bank. Diversify your payment methods, perhaps half through exchanges and half through a trustworthy buyer.

vrm86

Activity: 676
Merit: 500

View Profile
March 15, 2015, 02:41:20 PM

Maybe think about prepaid card, associated with one of the electronic payment services? That way you are bypassing banking system.
CoinCidental
Legendary

Activity: 1316

Si vis pacem, para bellum

View Profile
March 15, 2015, 02:57:52 PM

So I opened a regular checking bank account and I have Bitcoins from 2012s.
Would bank ask questions if I were to withdraw about ~10-20k USD per month through exchanges?

Do banks do that?

extra $20,000 a month lol
if you  think that will slip under the radar your nuts

its not illegal but i would get  ready to answer some questions anyway

dont be too quick to tell lies  because they will already  know the account transferring  you the money
belongs to a bitcoin exchange so telling them the money isnt bitcoin related is just silly advice .....

countryfree
Legendary

Activity: 3052
Merit: 1047

Your country may be your worst enemy

View Profile
March 15, 2015, 03:31:55 PM

Just make it regular, coming from the same exchange. If you have a monthly bank wire of the same amount on the same day each month, they'll just think it's a salary.

I used to be a citizen and a taxpayer. Those days are long gone.
innocent93
Legendary

Activity: 896

View Profile
March 18, 2015, 03:25:09 AM

I am currently interning at a bank, Yes, probably they will ask you question or look into your record out of anti-money laundering, they are monitoring the big moving money.

Just make it normal or prove it's your legal assets, As long as it's your legal assets, you will be fine.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: