Bitcoin Forum
May 12, 2024, 12:25:40 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Successful with BitForce Singles  (Read 3757 times)
420 (OP)

Activity: 756
Merit: 500

View Profile
August 06, 2012, 10:10:09 AM
Last edit: August 07, 2012, 12:48:29 PM by 420

how many people have been successful or consider their purchase and mining with BitForce singles successful? I have READ of a lot of problems with setting them up and throttling etc.

Donations: 1JVhKjUKSjBd7fPXQJsBs5P3Yphk38AqPr - TIPS
the hacks, the hacks, secure your bits!

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
MXRider

Activity: 466
Merit: 250

View Profile
August 06, 2012, 10:29:25 AM

I' had zero problems. Just plugged them in, updated FTDI drivers and started cgminer. They have been hashing happily since.

Maybe you should tell a little bit more about your problem.

AND calm down a bit dude. 10 posts a day? Read more, post less.
Phraust

Activity: 206
Merit: 100

Mostly Harmless...

View Profile WWW
August 06, 2012, 11:04:29 AM

I've been pretty successful, though there has been quite a bit of trial and error.

Temperature-wise, they hate being hot.  I have one right now that throttles consistently whenever it gets close to 58C, but it is running the 896 firmware.  I've trial-and-errored through all of the firmwares, even auto tune. Looking at the math for my situation, it made more sense for me to run the a/c 24/7 rather than slowing them down.  I'm waiting on an order of 120mm fans to upgrade all of mine with, to hopefully keep them nice and cool until october.  After all the dicking around with them that I've done, I really just want to have a setup I can leave running and forget about it.

I started on OSX, running them all off of a Mac Mini.  I learned that they hate lots of traffic on USB, so the hub you choose, and what else you are running along with it matters a bunch.  While the MacMini was dedicated to mining, it did fine as long as I didn't forget to remove any external drives on the chain.  Keeping the USB cables away from the power cables seems to help.  The hub I got was a 11 port saitek thingy that looked good, but in the end is probably too cheap.  I cannot get two of the ports on it to work with the singles, and if I move it around too much I need to restart all of them.

For the last week they have been mining off of a dedicated headless DockStar, using ArchLinux and that same crappy USB hub.  I finished reorgnizing my office, and have the Mac Mini as my desktop now.  It's been working like a charm, no problems at all.

tl;dr: keep them cool, and watch their USB connections.  If you can keep em cool, overclock them as high as they'll go and leave em alone.
420 (OP)

View Profile
August 06, 2012, 11:26:27 AM

Thanks. Just wondering, don't own or have a stake in them

AndrewBUD

Activity: 1078
Merit: 502

View Profile WWW
August 06, 2012, 02:05:11 PM

So BFL pushed this things out half assed? I bet we're in for the same treat with the ASic's

▄▄▄███████▄▄▄
▄▄█████▀▀''`▀▀█████▄▄
▄███P'            `YY██▄
▄██P'                  `Y██▄
███'                      `███
███'                         ███
▄██'   ▄█████▄▄  ,▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄p   ███
▄██▀  ,████▀P▀███.`██████████P   ▀██▄
███[ ,████ __. ███.   ,▄████▀    ███
███[ ]████████████[  ▄████▀       ███
███[ `████   ,oo2 ▄████▀'       ,███
▀██▄  `████▄▄█████d███████████   ▄██▀
▀██.   `▀▀▀▀▀▀"  Y▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀  ,██▀
███.                        ,███
▀██▄                      ▄██▀
▀███▄_                 ,███▀
▀███▄▄_          _▄▄███▀
▀▀████▄▄ooo▄▄█████▀
▀▀███████▀▀'

TM

EZ365 is a digital ecosystem that combines
the best aspects of online gaming, cryptocurrency
trading
and blockchain education. ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀

..WHITEPAPER..    ..INVESTOR PITCH..

.Telegram     Twitter   Facebook

.'M████▀▀██  ██
                      W█Ws'V██  ██▄▄███▀▀█
                     i█████m.~M████▀▀██  ███
                     d███████Ws'V██  ██████
                     ****M██████m.~███f~~__mW█
          ██▀▀▀████████=  Y██▀▀██W ,gm███████
      g█████▄▄▄██   █A~`_WW Y█  ██!,████████
   g▀▀▀███   ████▀▀`_m████i!████P W███  ██
 _███▄▄▄██▀▀▀███Af`_m███   █W ███A ]███  ██
__ ~~~▀▀▀▀▄▄▄█*f_m██████   ██i!██!i███████
Y█████▄▄▄▄__. i██▀▀▀██████████ █!,██████
 8█  █▀▀█████.!██   ██████████i! █████
 '█  █  █   █W M█▄▄▄██████   ██ !██
  !███▄▄█   ██i'██████████   ██
   Y███████████.]██████████████
   █   ███████b ███   ██████
   Y   █   █▀▀█i!██   ████
    V███   █  █W Y█████
      ~~▀███▄▄▄█['███
            ~~*██

Play

│
    │      ███
    │      ███
    │      ███
    │   │  ███
   ███  │  ███
   ███ ███ ███
 │  ███ ███ ███
███ ███ ███ ███
███ ███  │   │
███ ███  │   │
 │   │
 │

Trade

__▄▄████▄▄
     __▄▄███████████████▄▄▄
 _▄▄█████████▀▀~`,▄████████████▄▄▄
 ~▀▀████▀▀~`,_▄▄███████████████▀▀▀
   d█~  =▀███████████████▀▀
   ]█! m▄▄ '~▀▀▀████▀▀~~ ,_▄▄
  ,W█. *████▄▄__ '  __▄▄█████
  !██P  █████████████████████
   W█. - ██████████████████▀
  i██[   ~ ▀▀█████████▀▀▀
 g███!
Y███

Learn
[/tabl
Unacceptable
Legendary

Activity: 2212
Merit: 1001

View Profile
August 06, 2012, 09:34:29 PM

Only thing I had a prob with is temp too  Roll Eyes

They are designed to operate in a room temp of 72 F  Shocked  My room gets to 80 F,A/C is EXPENSIVE @.12 cents per KWH  Roll Eyes

Mine only liked the 768 FW,which produces 760 mh/s @ 50 C.Other than that,I had a little trouble gettin CGminer bat file made (my bad,I'm software stupid),Cablez helped me,THANKS DUDE  Cool

Very minor issues, I call it a learning curve.................been running for almost 4 months now & no issues at all  Grin

"If you run into an asshole in the morning, you ran into an asshole. If you run into assholes all day long, you are the asshole."  -Raylan Givens
Got GOXXED ?? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9KiqRpPiJAU&feature=youtu.be
"An ASIC being late is perfectly normal, predictable, and legal..."Hashfast & BFL slogan Smiley
Phraust

Mostly Harmless...

View Profile WWW
August 06, 2012, 10:05:38 PM

My room gets to 80 F,A/C is EXPENSIVE @.12 cents per KWH  Roll Eyes

Pfft, I'm paying $0.34 per KWH.  Electricity is eating up 2/3 of what I earn. Sad
kunibopl

Activity: 184

View Profile
August 07, 2012, 01:03:44 AM

Pfft, I'm paying $0.34 per KWH.  Electricity is eating up 2/3 of what I earn. Sad

how is that? I am also paying 0.34$/kwh and it eats up only 7% of what I earn.

NXT: 5231236538923913892
Epoch
Legendary

Activity: 922
Merit: 1003

View Profile
August 07, 2012, 01:11:57 AM

how many people have been successful or consider their purchase and mining with BitForce singles successful? I have of a lot of problems with setting them up and throttling etc.
Um, what do you mean you don't own or have a stake in them?

You said right in the OP that you have 'a lot of problems with setting them up and throttling'. You're not a troll, are you?
Phraust

Mostly Harmless...

View Profile WWW
August 07, 2012, 01:19:55 AM

how is that? I am also paying 0.34$/kwh and it eats up only 7% of what I earn.

I need to run a/c to keep them cool.  For the room they are in, that's a 1050 watt a/c running on average 12 hours a day.
kibblesnbits

Activity: 557

View Profile
August 07, 2012, 01:32:14 AM

how many people have been successful or consider their purchase and mining with BitForce singles successful? I have of a lot of problems with setting them up and throttling etc.

Lot of variables - post your OS, room temp, mining software? how many on one computer, USB hubs? 
Help us help you. 

ASICMINERTUBE

The Best $/Gh Bitcoin Miner So Far
   ►►►   DISCOVER NOW !!!   ◄◄◄
sadpandatech

Activity: 504

View Profile
August 07, 2012, 02:10:32 AM

how many people have been successful or consider their purchase and mining with BitForce singles successful? I have read of a lot of problems with setting them up and throttling etc.

You said right in the OP that you have 'a lot of problems with setting them up and throttling'. You're not a troll, are you?

just needed some proofreading, it did.

If you're not excited by the idea of being an early adopter 'now', then you should come back in three or four years and either tell us "Told you it'd never work!" or join what should, by then, be a much more stable and easier-to-use system.
- GA

It is being worked on by smart people.  -DamienBlack
Epoch
Legendary

View Profile
August 07, 2012, 02:29:05 AM
Last edit: August 07, 2012, 02:43:57 AM by Epoch

how many people have been successful or consider their purchase and mining with BitForce singles successful? I have read of a lot of problems with setting them up and throttling etc.

just needed some proofreading, it did.
Nice recovery for 420, SadPandaTech.

Ok, I'll bite. I have a few Singles. I consider their purchase and mining as 'successful'. Note that I have ordered back in December 2011 so I have been mining with them for a relatively long time. Setting them up is not difficult. I've used ufasoft, cgminer, and bfgminer. All work quite well. You just need to take the time to read the documentation (ufasoft, cgminer, bfgminer) in order to determine the proper command-line options. PM me if you need some help with specifics.

Regarding throttling: my understanding is that, as shipped, they are rated to do 832Mhps @ 72F without throttling. If you encounter throttling (conveniently indicated by a blinking front-panel LED), it is not a big deal: either reduce your ambient temperature, or flash them with a slower firmware. BFL has many different bitstreams available from their website. You can easily flash your Singles using BLF's 'EasyMiner' software, also available from the website.

Hope this helps.
420 (OP)

View Profile
August 07, 2012, 12:46:52 PM

My room gets to 80 F,A/C is EXPENSIVE @.12 cents per KWH  Roll Eyes

Pfft, I'm paying $0.34 per KWH.  Electricity is eating up 2/3 of what I earn. Sad

solar dude. go solar. how many watts are you consuming?

Epoch, does any miner get significantly more mhash on the BFL's?

LazyOtto

Activity: 476

View Profile
August 07, 2012, 07:14:40 PM

Being able to reflash to lower speed is crucial for these.

As a data point, with my BFL unit, in an 80f ambient temperature, it will run with zero throttling at 800mh/s. Not at 808.

At 78f ambient it will run the 808mh/s firmware but not the 816.

(Case off and bottom 'integrated heat-sink' fan replaced with one the same size as the top fan. I also remounted the main heat sink using Arctic Silver 5.)

Yes, these things *are* that sensitive to ambient temps.

NOTES: It takes about a half hour of hashing for the device to drift up to full temp from a restart. And, for me, the Easy-Miner Autotune function did not select the optimal firmware / hash-rate.

I've seen no significant difference in accepted share performance with mpbm versus cgminer. (As reported by the pool over multiple day runs for each.)
dave3

Activity: 344

View Profile
August 08, 2012, 08:22:54 AM

I run 2 BFL singles in an un-airconditioned room, typically around 85°F with the 816 firmware without a problem.  They mine reliably for me without throttling with the 816 firmware.

It's a good thing, too, because they're too noisy to keep in my air conditioned office.  I'm hoping the SC versions that will replace them will be quiet.  Smiley
420 (OP)

View Profile
August 08, 2012, 08:30:04 AM

I run 2 BFL singles in an un-airconditioned room, typically around 85°F with the 816 firmware without a problem.  They mine reliably for me without throttling with the 816 firmware.

It's a good thing, too, because they're too noisy to keep in my air conditioned office.  I'm hoping the SC versions that will replace them will be quiet.  Smiley

What do you use to test temp?

now one knows how loud they are right now...

dave3

Activity: 344

View Profile
August 08, 2012, 08:50:23 AM

What do you use to test temp?

now one knows how loud they are right now...

I haven't measured the temperature in the room with the BFLs, but I have a thermometer in my office that's around 85°F before I turn the A/C on, though it varies depending on the temperature outside.  Could be +/- 5°F easily.

The internal temperature of the CPUs can be read in cgminer.

Code:
BFL 0:  57.5C         | 811.0/807.9Mh/s | A:3016 R:34 HW:0 U:11.49/m
BFL 1:  59.0C         | 811.0/807.6Mh/s | A:2956 R:21 HW:0 U:11.26/m

I just checked the sound levels using a Decibel app on my phone.  My quiet office read 37 dB.  Measured approx. 1 foot from the BFL singles, the reading was 55 dB.

Think of the fan noise from a really noisy computer or server.
Epoch
Legendary

View Profile
August 08, 2012, 01:00:45 PM

Dave3 is correct about the noise; a stock Single is relatively loud. Plus they may come with one or two fans (or even 3) depending on the particular Single.

I've replaced the stock fan(s) in my Singles with much quieter ones. The drawback is that because they now don't cool as well, I've had to load slower firmware into most of them to keep throttling in check. Well worth it, IMHO, if you keep your Singles anywhere near where you spend a lot of your time (bedroom, living room, basement, ...).

It certainly is possible to have a quiet Single if you are willing to do some work (and are willing to sacrifice a few percentages in speed).
somenick
Legendary

Activity: 1286
Merit: 1004

View Profile
August 10, 2012, 11:01:33 PM

16 single work good 10 days
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: