Poll
Question: Will you attend this event
Yes - 17 (35.4%)
Yes, with a friend(s) - 9 (18.8%)
No - 22 (45.8%)
Total Voters: 48

Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 [10] 11 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Bitcoin Montreal  (Read 19169 times)
Jake.Hobson

Activity: 30
Merit: 0

View Profile
July 06, 2013, 01:10:39 PM

MEET-UP Cancelled   Sad

July 6th: it will not be possible to hold the meet-up as planned due to circumstances out of my control.

I will post here tomorrow for follow-up news.
adamstgBit (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1904
Merit: 1037

Trusted Bitcoiner

View Profile WWW
July 06, 2013, 04:01:07 PM

MEET-UP Cancelled   Sad

July 6th: it will not be possible to hold the meet-up as planned due to circumstances out of my control.

ok wasn't going to be able to make it either

The Bitcoin Catalog

Activity: 238
Merit: 100

The Bitcoin Catalog ---> Get Started!

View Profile WWW
July 06, 2013, 04:09:01 PM

MEET-UP Cancelled   Sad

OK. Looking forward for any update

The Bitcoin Catalog: Second edition coming out in November! Click here for a  FREE pdf catalog!
Follow us on twitter! @BTCcatalog
adamstgBit (OP)
Legendary

Trusted Bitcoiner

View Profile WWW
July 06, 2013, 04:32:06 PM

I would say lets push it back to next weekend, but i'm leaving for vacation next weekend  Grin Grin Grin

I got some of the things i ordered online for the store, i want to show you guys what i got and my vision for the bitcoin store.

The Bitcoin Catalog

View Profile WWW
July 06, 2013, 04:45:30 PM

Next weekend is my last chance before I go on vacation out of the country for 2 weeks...
Is there any possibility for a meetup on a week day evening? Maybe friday evening?

The Bitcoin Catalog: Second edition coming out in November! Click here for a  FREE pdf catalog!
adamstgBit (OP)
Legendary

Trusted Bitcoiner

View Profile WWW
July 06, 2013, 04:54:06 PM

Next weekend is my last chance before I go on vacation out of the country for 2 weeks...
Is there any possibility for a meetup on a week day evening? Maybe friday evening?

I could do a weekday evening

Jake can we do a meetup next friday evening

adamstgBit (OP)
Legendary

Trusted Bitcoiner

View Profile WWW
July 06, 2013, 04:57:04 PM

also Jake can you get me a set of keys  Cool

Cheesy

The Bitcoin Catalog

View Profile WWW
July 08, 2013, 09:48:13 PM

Any confirmation for the next meetup?

adamstgBit (OP)
Legendary

Trusted Bitcoiner

View Profile WWW
July 08, 2013, 11:32:21 PM

no

maybe we such push back the meetup everyone is probably going on vacation now that summer is here

Hullabaloo

Activity: 79
Merit: 10

View Profile
July 13, 2013, 04:26:25 PM

As far as I know the only thing stopping the store opening is the legal aspect of trading cryptos for $.  It would be best not to wait to open it since people are milling in the streets on these warm sunny days and besides if I were Jake.Hobson I would hate to have such a nice big space not rented out for months. Smiley

When it's open, we can have meetups whenever we want! Wink  I have an idea of using heat from my miners to ferment & brew Crypto beer Cheesy

Does anybody have any news?

Tips? BTC: 1PuPCtUt3pmMjbiLTgTKD6G9AkQS3FBUtD            WDC: WPmzeDfXjgoTEztP1rGCe1ZcBLLMJq7yvL
                                                        Time is Bitcoin!
The Bitcoin Catalog

View Profile WWW
July 13, 2013, 06:15:33 PM

No news...
I think we should try to be a little more organized. We need to setup  a todo list or something so even if people cannot show up at a meetup, we can still work on  the project on our side.
I’d like to make things move faster than this...

adamstgBit (OP)
Legendary

Trusted Bitcoiner

View Profile WWW
July 14, 2013, 03:00:05 AM

No news...
I think we should try to be a little more organized. We need to setup  a todo list or something so even if people cannot show up at a meetup, we can still work on  the project on our side.
I’d like to make things move faster than this...

once we get rolling it will go good....
I bought a few things i want to see in the store... gave it some thought, at this point we need to sit down discuss various options, and DO IT!
we also need to get more local bitcoiners invloed in this project,
but like many things bitcoin, its a chicken and egg problem
we need more people involved to make it happen, and we need to make it happen to get more people involved   Tongue

we can do it...

Hullabaloo

View Profile
July 14, 2013, 08:05:31 PM

lol that's why I wanted to know if there was a white board for the last meet up Smiley

Here's a little starting Plan/to do list. There are a lot of things we can't do without Jake.Hobson's input but we can get some ideas/work going in the meantime. I'm not going to go into details or ideas we discussed during the meet up, I think people should just group up and get started on the things they care about from where we left off.  Things are listed more or less in order or priority/critical path.  Can we start a wiki to exchange ideas/write things down and get things organized, give access to the core members?

Starting plan:
1. Obtain legal advice/confirmations on the status of Coins/CAD trading & exchange (at the Federal & Provincial level).  (Jake)
   We can't start investing money & time without knowing where to stand from a legal & financial point of view. Unless someone else wants to lobby & hire lawyers we're completely dependent on Jake (and indirectly, Cavirtex & other exchanges) for this. As far as I can tell, the banks are trying delaying tactics to make it too risky to invest in Bitcoin startups, and it's working for now. My own lawyer contacts don't want to get involved with bitcoins because of how they're associated with criminality.  We can only wait for news.

2. Prepare a marketing plan/strategy for local merchants. (Jake, Bruno, Ryan, etc.)
    We have to start working on the 'chicken and egg' problem; we can't get people to use cryptos if the stores don't take them, and vice-versa. We have to start implementing a strategy as soon as possible.
   1. Prepare a 'tech package' of what a merchant needs to buy, install, etc & costs associated with a 'BTC cash register' and bookkeeping.  (This is dependent on Jake's "other project")
   2. Adopt basic marketing approaches for merchant adoption like fidelity programs, groupon-like programs, 'buy without cash days' and other list-style programs. (If you're into marketing, get started thinking about this right away! Smiley )
   3. Prepare sites, data, techniques, flyers, training booklets, and our in-house training program for merchants. (Depends on 2, and will take a while to produce, so can't be neglected.)

3. Prepare a marketing plan/strategy for customers.
   1-3 Same thing as point 2 really, but for the different people we want to attract to cryptos. 
   4. Prepare training program, including installation of wallets, security, and more advanced topics like scams, gambling & investments/trading. (Everyone can get started on this, there's a LOT to cover and it's independent of everything else. It will take a lot of time to get it right for Mr. & Mrs. Joe Fiat!)

4. Open the store/crypto saloon pew pew  (Need Jake again for this)
   1. We need to be able to access the store/training/meetup area to prepare it, don't know if Eszter got the key after all...
   2. Establish a charter/legal entity for the store, procedures & bookkeeping, etc.  insurance...
   3. Obtain a decent inventory for opening day (and ways to manage the inventory/sales when it's just on display by the store, hence procedures above)
   4. Find a good name for the place (not a priority, but it's nice to have a project name in mind)
   4. Find volunteers (or find a way to get 'seed BTC') to man the store
   5. Train volunteers and get the marketing machine rolling
   6. Launch
   7. Lunch (hamburgers are fine Smiley )
   8. ...
   9. Profit! (for all humanity Smiley )

5. Prepare contingency/continuation plan
   Right now the whole project is completely dependent on Jake.  Once we get things rolling it shouldn't be a problem anymore, but we should plan for all possibilities, such as what happens if BTC implodes, what happens if a volunteer installs keyloggers, do we establish a legal fund, etc...

6. Expand & Make new contacts
  Once we have an actual crypto presence we can start working on other projects Smiley

Well, that's just an overview but it shows there are some things we can work on right now. I have a miner blowing 85 c air in my face and a cat that thinks my keyboard is the coolest place in the house so hope I didn't ramble too much. Smiley I'm sure I forgot a bunch of stuff.
And remember, yolo! (you only launch once!)

Tips? BTC: 1PuPCtUt3pmMjbiLTgTKD6G9AkQS3FBUtD            WDC: WPmzeDfXjgoTEztP1rGCe1ZcBLLMJq7yvL
                                                        Time is Bitcoin!
adamstgBit (OP)
Legendary

Trusted Bitcoiner

View Profile WWW
July 15, 2013, 01:25:27 AM

Hi all. I have lots of good traffic to my site from Montreal Bitcoiners. We have a meetup section too. Do you have a date for the next meetup. ?I will be happy to post to spread the word.

Check it here: https://www.coinforum.ca/categories/bitcoin-canada-meetups

Thank you

We will make sure to utailze your forum.

rayfloyd

Activity: 140

View Profile
July 15, 2013, 01:10:05 PM

lol that's why I wanted to know if there was a white board for the last meet up Smiley

[...]

Well, that's just an overview but it shows there are some things we can work on right now. I have a miner blowing 85 c air in my face and a cat that thinks my keyboard is the coolest place in the house so hope I didn't ramble too much. Smiley I'm sure I forgot a bunch of stuff.
And remember, yolo! (you only launch once!)

You guys seem organized as hell. Sure does make me want to come and meet you one of these days

Hullabaloo

View Profile
July 15, 2013, 02:13:02 PM

You guys seem organized as hell. Sure does make me want to come and meet you one of these days

We're not. That's the whole purpose of this thread! There isn't an official organization yet, and I don't represent it, so please don't base your opinion on my post.

Just give us a couple of weeks to get things rolling, or better yet, come and help us, everyone is welcome! Smiley

Time is Bitcoin!
rayfloyd

Activity: 140

View Profile
July 15, 2013, 06:44:46 PM

Yeah I'm planning on coming, I'm from Trois-Rivières so can't really be on week days haha, I'll gonna follow the thread and wait for a date where I can join in the fun!

abourget

Activity: 8
Merit: 0

View Profile
July 16, 2013, 03:43:13 AM

Hi all folks.. remember me ?  I was at the June meeting.

Hope I can make it to the next meetup!

Glad to see things are moving!  I walk by the building each morning.. and each morning I observe the shop on the side, if windows are open on the 2nd floor, and sometimes I scream "Jake! Are you there" ? Smiley

Can't wait for the space to open Smiley
adamstgBit (OP)
Legendary

Trusted Bitcoiner

View Profile WWW
July 20, 2013, 06:32:43 AM

I just got back from vacation,
I drove all the way back from PEI to Montreal 12 hour drive + stops ( still feeling hopped up on coffee  Tongue )
I've quickly read the comments left on the thread but i didn't have a chance to respond.
Hullabaloo has some really good ideas, this is pretty much what i was thinking but it helps to have it written down.

Anyway, I'm Back!

I will try to organize meetup soon

adamstgBit (OP)
Legendary

Trusted Bitcoiner

View Profile WWW
July 21, 2013, 11:28:47 PM

next meet up will be the 3th or 4th of August.

I'm going to make a few post asking the community at large to help.

I'm sure we can get a really good design for a pamphlet done by the community.

as always you can donate to this effort here: 19Rw7tUqTEMfgzxNRP4s2twAECpF3rVyZM  Tongue

Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 [10] 11 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: