Bitcoin Forum
April 26, 2024, 09:12:34 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Entering the market  (Read 1446 times)
SKOdd (OP)

Activity: 3
Merit: 0

View Profile
May 25, 2011, 08:59:41 PM

Hi guys

At first glance this may seem a topic that has been discussed ad nauseum, but bear with me.

I am a financial journalist and recently learned of BitCoin. I was surprised that I hadn't come across it before as I have been a Linux user for many years and talk of BitCoin is rife on user boards - which then made me realise how little community engagement I've been doing…

Having now done some research on the currency I am working on a story about it for a leading financial publication I write for. I thought it would be best if I wrote the article from the perspective of someone who is actively trading in BitCoin.

The problem is that it is impossible to get going. Mining coins now seems to be a waste of time unless you have your own data-centre. I live in a country where sending cash or checks (cheques) to the USA would be impossible or more difficult than it would be worth.

Services that used to accept PayPal for BitCoin have shut down and the community of traders online won't sell currency to anyone who isn't in their circle of trust - and getting into that increasingly closed circle is difficult if PayPal is all you have to offer.

The only viable option seems to be meeting someone in person and paying them cash, but in my country there are very few traders and no one in my city.

So my question is - how should I get started? I have no goods or services to sell for BitCoin, no way to buy BitCoin except PayPal - and I fully understand and agree with the community's reasons for not wanting to use PayPal. I also do not own my own data centre to mine with Tongue

Any suggestions would be welcome. But for an "open" currency system, this is all very closed at the moment…
The forum was founded in 2009 by Satoshi and Sirius. It replaced a SourceForge forum.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
FreeMoney
Legendary

Activity: 1246
Merit: 1014

Strength in numbers

View Profile WWW
May 25, 2011, 09:03:21 PM

Welcome. I'm surprised to hear that it's possible to be a financial journalist in a country that can't get mail to the US.

Play Bitcoin Poker at sealswithclubs.eu. We're active and open to everyone.
SKOdd (OP)

View Profile
May 25, 2011, 09:14:02 PM

I can get mail to the US. It will take at least two weeks to get there, is likely to be opened and stolen along the way since it contains money. And you'd want me to send you dollars right? Well here's a surprise: different countries have different currencies!

So I'd have to buy dollars first, and pay commission in the process. Need I continue?
ataranlen

Activity: 846
Merit: 1000

The One and Only

View Profile WWW
May 25, 2011, 09:19:04 PM

Or you could find someone willing to use paypal. I know a way to avoid chargebacks on paypal, and it involves opening a chargeback Grin I'd want to use clearcoin of course. How much were you wanting to buy anyway?

MineTexas.com Minecraft Server We accept Bitcoin and Dogecoin.
Deepbit on Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/pages/Deepbit/151108048294815
xlcus
Legendary

Activity: 966
Merit: 1009

View Profile
May 25, 2011, 09:51:03 PM

I know a way to avoid chargebacks on paypal, and it involves opening a chargeback
Care to elaborate?
ataranlen

The One and Only

View Profile WWW
May 25, 2011, 09:58:48 PM

I know a way to avoid chargebacks on paypal, and it involves opening a chargeback
Care to elaborate?

Have whoever sent you money open then close a ticket. They can't open another once its closed.

koin
Legendary

Activity: 873

View Profile
May 25, 2011, 10:50:39 PM

Have whoever sent you money open then close a ticket. They can't open another once its closed.

you are joking, right?

what happens then is paypal sees that i have a higher than average number of disputes for payments i've received and freezes my account.
error

Activity: 588
Merit: 500

View Profile
May 25, 2011, 10:53:38 PM

It's difficult to help you since you have not provided the city or even the country where you are.

3KzNGwzRZ6SimWuFAgh4TnXzHpruHMZmV8
Garrett Burgwardt

Activity: 406
Merit: 256

View Profile
May 25, 2011, 10:57:32 PM

Hi guys

At first glance this may seem a topic that has been discussed ad nauseum, but bear with me.

I am a financial journalist and recently learned of BitCoin. I was surprised that I hadn't come across it before as I have been a Linux user for many years and talk of BitCoin is rife on user boards - which then made me realise how little community engagement I've been doing…

Having now done some research on the currency I am working on a story about it for a leading financial publication I write for. I thought it would be best if I wrote the article from the perspective of someone who is actively trading in BitCoin.

The problem is that it is impossible to get going. Mining coins now seems to be a waste of time unless you have your own data-centre. I live in a country where sending cash or checks (cheques) to the USA would be impossible or more difficult than it would be worth.

Services that used to accept PayPal for BitCoin have shut down and the community of traders online won't sell currency to anyone who isn't in their circle of trust - and getting into that increasingly closed circle is difficult if PayPal is all you have to offer.

The only viable option seems to be meeting someone in person and paying them cash, but in my country there are very few traders and no one in my city.

So my question is - how should I get started? I have no goods or services to sell for BitCoin, no way to buy BitCoin except PayPal - and I fully understand and agree with the community's reasons for not wanting to use PayPal. I also do not own my own data centre to mine with Tongue

Any suggestions would be welcome. But for an "open" currency system, this is all very closed at the moment…

Many bitcoin news sources are interested in writers, I personally pay 2-3 btc for well written articles on any development feature, and I believe Kiba's bitcoinweekly is hiring still.

What about a bank wire? I know tons of people that would take them, and despite their fee, are fairly convenient.
kiba
Legendary

Activity: 980
Merit: 1014

View Profile
May 25, 2011, 11:17:46 PM

I am interested in your writing labor. Willing to pay 1 BTC for an article: http://bitcoinweekly.com/pages/submission

eMansipater

Activity: 294
Merit: 273

View Profile WWW
May 26, 2011, 01:18:22 AM

Hi guys

If you're a journalist for a respected entity and can verify through work contact info, I could probably do some trades for you using clearcoin.  What payment method would you be able to use?

If you found my post helpful, feel free to send a small tip to 1QGukeKbBQbXHtV6LgkQa977LJ3YHXXW8B
Visit the BitCoin Q&A Site to ask questions or share knowledge.
0.009 BTC too confusing?  Use mBTC instead!  Details at www.em-bit.org or visit the project thread to help make Bitcoin prices more human-friendly.
ataranlen

The One and Only

View Profile WWW
May 26, 2011, 01:27:36 AM

you are joking, right?

what happens then is paypal sees that i have a higher than average number of disputes for payments i've received and freezes my account.

Ah, but there is the trick, You wouldn't have a higher than normal number of disputes, because none of them were ever escalated. Its when you have a high number of negative disputes that paypal starts checking into your account. A friend of mine showed me this trick a while back, he sells drugs and runs several illegal websites and such, and hasn't had his paypal frozen yet.

SKOdd (OP)

View Profile
May 26, 2011, 05:27:40 AM

Thanks for the suggestions of writing for BitCoin, I will check out some of the links you have provided.

It's difficult to help you since you have not provided the city or even the country where you are.
I can tell you that I am in Africa, but I have a good reason for not wanting to disclose my exact location. And I have since been contacted by some local traders - turns out I was wrong about the local community. Bitcoin.local shows quite a few people in my city.
MagicalTux
VIP

Activity: 608
Merit: 501

-

View Profile
May 26, 2011, 06:45:49 AM

you are joking, right?

Ah, but there is the trick, You wouldn't have a higher than normal number of disputes, because none of them were ever escalated. Its when you have a high number of negative disputes that paypal starts checking into your account. A friend of mine showed me this trick a while back, he sells drugs and runs several illegal websites and such, and hasn't had his paypal frozen yet.
Doesn't stop chargeback (ie. via the financial institution)
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: