Bitcoin Forum
May 13, 2024, 01:50:56 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Revisionism in Bitcoin Magazine  (Read 3086 times)
casascius (OP)
Mike Caldwell
VIP
Legendary

Activity: 1386
Merit: 1136

The Casascius 1oz 10BTC Silver Round (w/ Gold B)

View Profile WWW
August 07, 2012, 03:11:14 AM

I am thrilled to have received my PDF copy of Bitcoin Magazine, but very disappointed that the article The Bulls and the Bears: Twelve Bitcoin Hits and Eight Spectacular Misses has been revised to now be The Bulls and the Bears: Eleven Bitcoin Hits and Nine Spectacular Misses.  And the text about Bitcoinica has been rewritten to describe its failure rather than its success, noted "updated July 2012".

What's wrong with leaving the original version of the magazine intact?  The magazine was accurate as possible at the time it was published, there is no reason it needs to be revised.  Bitcoinica crashed and burned after the magazine was published.

Companies claiming they got hacked and lost your coins sounds like fraud so perfect it could be called fashionable.  I never believe them.  If I ever experience the misfortune of a real intrusion, I declare I have been honest about the way I have managed the keys in Casascius Coins.  I maintain no ability to recover or reproduce the keys, not even under limitless duress or total intrusion.  Remember that trusting strangers with your coins without any recourse is, as a matter of principle, not a best practice.  Don't keep coins online. Use paper or hardware wallets instead.
"This isn't the kind of software where we can leave so many unresolved bugs that we need a tracker for them." -- Satoshi
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Vladimir

Activity: 812
Merit: 1001

-

View Profile
August 07, 2012, 03:20:15 AM

As they say: "Don't blame the mirror for your ugly face". Bitcoin Magazine just reflects reality. Electronic version was published recently and there is no good reason to list Bitcoinica as a huge success now.

Next time we will try to reduce the wait between print and digital editions to reduce chances of the bitcoin winners to become loser meanwhile.  Smiley

-
rjk

Activity: 448
Merit: 250

1ngldh

View Profile
August 07, 2012, 03:21:34 AM

Well damn, I was holding off on digitizing the original, but I might as well if the digital version is rewriting history.

Mining Rig Extraordinaire - the Trenton BPX6806 18-slot PCIe backplane [PICS] Dead project is dead, all hail the coming of the mighty ASIC!
teflone

Activity: 770
Merit: 500

You're fat, because you dont have any pics on FB

View Profile
August 07, 2012, 03:26:14 AM

Since I paid for 2 copies and only got one..  Can I have the difference back ?

For Canadians by Canadians: Canada's Bitcoin Community - https://www.coinforum.ca/
casascius (OP)
Mike Caldwell
VIP
Legendary

View Profile WWW
August 07, 2012, 03:58:37 AM

As they say: "Don't blame the mirror for your ugly face". Bitcoin Magazine just reflects reality. Electronic version was published recently and there is no good reason to list Bitcoinica as a huge success now.

Next time we will try to reduce the wait between print and digital editions to reduce chances of the bitcoin winners to become loser meanwhile.  Smiley

Yes there is a good reason, many of them in fact: archival purposes.  Academic purposes.  Research purposes.  When most publications make a mistake or find out something pertinent after the fact, they add a footnote to the bottom clarifying it.  They don't simply cut a new revision of the same issue with the story changed.

The PDF file format offers a fantastic mechanism for adding callout annotations.  Use that feature to note issue #1.  Address Bitcoinica's fall in issue #2.

Companies claiming they got hacked and lost your coins sounds like fraud so perfect it could be called fashionable.  I never believe them.  If I ever experience the misfortune of a real intrusion, I declare I have been honest about the way I have managed the keys in Casascius Coins.  I maintain no ability to recover or reproduce the keys, not even under limitless duress or total intrusion.  Remember that trusting strangers with your coins without any recourse is, as a matter of principle, not a best practice.  Don't keep coins online. Use paper or hardware wallets instead.
Phinnaeus Gage
Legendary

Activity: 1918
Merit: 1570

Bitcoin: An Idea Worth Spending

View Profile WWW
August 07, 2012, 04:07:18 AM

I am thrilled to have received my PDF copy of Bitcoin Magazine, but very disappointed that the article The Bulls and the Bears: Twelve Bitcoin Hits and Eight Spectacular Misses has been revised to now be The Bulls and the Bears: Eleven Bitcoin Hits and Nine Spectacular Misses.  And the text about Bitcoinica has been rewritten to describe its failure rather than its success, noted "updated July 2012".

What's wrong with leaving the original version of the magazine intact?  The magazine was accurate as possible at the time it was published, there is no reason it needs to be revised.  Bitcoinica crashed and burned after the magazine was published.

I'm sadden to read this if that's the case.  Angry

On a lighter side, did the ink smudge while reading the PrettyDumbFuckup copy?  Grin

Were any grammatical errors--albeit few--corrected? If not, then why not?  Wink

Being from Indian is not the only reason I believe Matthew is Amish. He's rucky I'm busy with other ongoing investigations, otherwise this faux pas would have been looked into.  Roll Eyes

Next time we will try to reduce the wait between print and digital editions to reduce chances of the bitcoin winners to become loser meanwhile.  Smiley

Yes there is a good reason, many of them in fact: archival purposes.  Academic purposes.  Research purposes.  When most publications make a mistake or find out something pertinent after the fact, they add a footnote to the bottom clarifying it.  They don't simply cut a new revision of the same issue with the story changed.

The PDF file format offers a fantastic mechanism for adding callout annotations.  Use that feature to note issue #1.  Address Bitcoinica's fall in issue #2.

I'll have to agree here. Sorry, Bitcoin Magazine team.

~Bruno~

smoothie
Legendary

Activity: 2492
Merit: 1473

LEALANA Bitcoin Grim Reaper

View Profile
August 07, 2012, 05:18:40 AM

What's wrong with leaving the original version of the magazine intact?  The magazine was accurate as possible at the time it was published, there is no reason it needs to be revised.  Bitcoinica crashed and burned after the magazine was published.

I'm sadden to read this if that's the case.  Angry

On a lighter side, did the ink smudge while reading the PrettyDumbFuckup copy?  Grin

Were any grammatical errors--albeit few--corrected? If not, then why not?  Wink

Being from Indian is not the only reason I believe Matthew is Amish. He's rucky I'm busy with other ongoing investigations, otherwise this faux pas would have been looked into.  Roll Eyes

Yes there is a good reason, many of them in fact: archival purposes.  Academic purposes.  Research purposes.  When most publications make a mistake or find out something pertinent after the fact, they add a footnote to the bottom clarifying it.  They don't simply cut a new revision of the same issue with the story changed.

The PDF file format offers a fantastic mechanism for adding callout annotations.  Use that feature to note issue #1.  Address Bitcoinica's fall in issue #2.

I'll have to agree here. Sorry, Bitcoin Magazine team.

~Bruno~

+1

███████████████████████████████████████

,╓p@@███████@╗╖,           
        ,p████████████████████N,       
      d█████████████████████████b     
    d██████████████████████████████æ   
  ,████²█████████████████████████████, 
 ,█████  ╙████████████████████╨  █████y
 ██████    `████████████████`    ██████
║██████       Ñ███████████`      ███████
███████         ╩██████Ñ         ███████
███████    ▐▄     ²██╩     a▌    ███████
╢██████    ▐▓█▄          ▄█▓▌    ███████
 ██████    ▐▓▓▓▓▌,     ▄█▓▓▓▌    ██████─
           ▐▓▓▓▓▓▓█,,▄▓▓▓▓▓▓▌          
           ▐▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▌          
    ▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓─  
     ²▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓╩    
        ▀▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▀       
           ²▀▀▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▀▀`          
                   ²²²                 
███████████████████████████████████████

. ★☆ WWW.LEALANA.COM        My PGP fingerprint is A764D833.                  History of Monero development Visualization ★☆ .
LEALANA BITCOIN GRIM REAPER SILVER COINS.

Vladimir

Activity: 812
Merit: 1001

-

View Profile
August 07, 2012, 07:51:25 AM

Thanks for feedback.

So tell me how to fix this little problem? Would sending out one more pdf with original text help?

-
FreeMoney
Legendary

Activity: 1246
Merit: 1014

Strength in numbers

View Profile WWW
August 07, 2012, 08:52:13 AM

I think leaving all of the original text is best. If something major changes especially if the outdated info could hurt a reader an amendment, marked as such can be made in addition to all of the original text.

Play Bitcoin Poker at sealswithclubs.eu. We're active and open to everyone.
caveden
Legendary

Activity: 1106
Merit: 1004

View Profile
August 07, 2012, 08:57:49 AM

So tell me how to fix this little problem? Would sending out one more pdf with original text help?

I'd do that. Perhaps use PDF annotation feature as said by casacius to add a note stating that when the magazine was published, Bitcoinica was still operating normally.
BlackBison

Activity: 250

View Profile
August 07, 2012, 09:03:41 AM

Non-fiction books usually add heavy footnote annotations that totally change previous events and this is the sort of thing that should have been added:

'Despite the downturn in 2007 when others were losing millions, XYZ Fund still managed to make a large profit, which shows the exceptional talents of Mr ABC*1

1. Since this paragraph was written XYZ Fund has lost over 50% of its AUM in the first half of 2008. (+ Huge wall of text describing what happened.)

spiccioli
Legendary

Activity: 1378
Merit: 1003

nec sine labore

View Profile
August 07, 2012, 09:57:06 AM

Same here, I've bought two copies of #1, but received as of now just one.

spiccioli
kentrolla

Activity: 1554
Merit: 565

Eloncoin.org - Mars, here we come!

View Profile WWW
August 07, 2012, 10:32:39 AM

As they say: "Don't blame the mirror for your ugly face".
LOL. Awesome quote. I'm going to have to use that one. Ofc, I've never heard it before because I'm absolutely beautiful.

▄▄████████▄▄
▄▄████████████████▄▄
▄██
████████████████████▄
▄███
██████████████████████▄
▄████
███████████████████████▄
███████████████████████▄
█████████████████▄███████
████████████████▄███████▀
██████████▄▄███▄██████▀
████████▄████▄█████▀▀
██████▄██████████▀
███▄▄█████
███████▄
██▄██████████████
░▄██████████████▀
▄█████████████▀
████████████
███████████▀
███████▀▀
▄▄███████▄▄
▄███████████████▄
▄███████████████████▄
▄██████████
███████████
▄███████████████████████▄
█████████████████████████
▀█
██████████████████████▀
▀██
███████████████████▀
▀███████████████████▀
▀█████████
██████▀
▀▀███████▀▀
 ElonCoin.org 
████████▄▄███████▄▄
███████▄████████████▌
██████▐██▀███████▀▀██
███████████████████▐█▌
████▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄██▄▄▄▄▄
███▐███▀▄█▄█▀▀█▄█▄▀
███████████████████
█████████████▄████
█████████▀░▄▄▄▄▄
███████▄█▄░▀█▄▄░▀
███▄██▄▀███▄█████▄▀
▄██████▄▀███████▀
████████▄▀████▀
█████▄▄
"I could either watch it
happen or be a part of it"
▬▬▬▬▬
Spekulatius
Legendary

Activity: 1022
Merit: 1000

View Profile
August 07, 2012, 11:31:02 AM

Hmm, I paid for 3 and only got one. Already reminded them of it, will I ever get them?
vampire

Activity: 574
Merit: 500

View Profile
August 07, 2012, 11:39:31 AM

Someone from the bitcoin's magazine team:

Can I share the digital version? Like on my facebook?
Kluge
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1218
Merit: 1015

View Profile
August 07, 2012, 11:40:47 AM

Hmm, I paid for 3 and only got one. Already reminded them of it, will I ever get them?
It was announced a while ago that they were being sent out next issues (dunno if just Issue 2 or both 2 and 3) to subscribers, IIRC, so maybe we'll start seeing "AH GOT MAH SECOND ISSUE TOODAY!" threads by the end of the week.
casascius (OP)
Mike Caldwell
VIP
Legendary

View Profile WWW
August 07, 2012, 02:54:31 PM

I'd do that. Perhaps use PDF annotation feature as said by casacius to add a note stating that when the magazine was published, Bitcoinica was still operating normally.

I meant do the opposite - publish the PDF to match the print edition, and add annotations to say something happened after it was published.  No revising the story!

I think I'd have no problem with revision of minor obvious typographical errors... but changing a story is a huge journalistic no-no.

ElectricMucus
Legendary

Activity: 1666
Merit: 1057

Marketing manager - GO MP

View Profile WWW
August 07, 2012, 02:59:00 PM

I meant do the opposite - publish the PDF to match the print edition, and add annotations to say something happened after it was published.  No revising the story!

I think I'd have no problem with revision of minor obvious typographical errors... but changing a story is a huge journalistic no-no.
+1

I would be severely disappointed if you change the story after it has been published.
rjk

Activity: 448

1ngldh

View Profile
August 07, 2012, 03:00:30 PM

I dunno about magazines, but technical publications regularly publish "errata" as a few pages separate from the main publication.

Mining Rig Extraordinaire - the Trenton BPX6806 18-slot PCIe backplane [PICS] Dead project is dead, all hail the coming of the mighty ASIC!
caveden
Legendary

Activity: 1106
Merit: 1004

View Profile
August 07, 2012, 03:08:42 PM

That's what I meant too. Adding a note explaining why this failure is listed as a success. I agree the contents should match the printed version.
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: