Bitcoin Forum
May 06, 2024, 12:03:53 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: I just made my first Bitcoin ATM withdrawal... 3BTC from my printer.  (Read 14462 times)
adamstgBit
Legendary

Activity: 1904
Merit: 1037

Trusted Bitcoiner

View Profile WWW
August 11, 2012, 05:44:58 AM

Windows users can download my current version of the utility and print Bitcoin notes!

link?

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"Bitcoin: mining our own business since 2009" -- Pieter Wuille
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
casascius (OP)
Mike Caldwell
VIP
Legendary

Activity: 1386
Merit: 1136

The Casascius 1oz 10BTC Silver Round (w/ Gold B)

View Profile WWW
August 11, 2012, 12:48:57 PM

Windows users can download my current version of the utility and print Bitcoin notes!

link?

Earlier in thread, should be:

https://casascius.com/btcaddress.zip

Companies claiming they got hacked and lost your coins sounds like fraud so perfect it could be called fashionable.  I never believe them.  If I ever experience the misfortune of a real intrusion, I declare I have been honest about the way I have managed the keys in Casascius Coins.  I maintain no ability to recover or reproduce the keys, not even under limitless duress or total intrusion.  Remember that trusting strangers with your coins without any recourse is, as a matter of principle, not a best practice.  Don't keep coins online. Use paper or hardware wallets instead.
goxed
Legendary

Activity: 1946
Merit: 1006

Bitcoin / Crypto mining Hardware.

View Profile
August 11, 2012, 01:21:47 PM

very nice! Can I have them? Cheesy

I'm hoping yes... I'm planning on releasing the source code I used to print these.

Thanks a lot!

Revewing Bitcoin / Crypto mining Hardware.
pointbiz

Activity: 437
Merit: 415

1ninja

View Profile
August 12, 2012, 12:26:33 AM

is anyone building something similar for mac or linux users?

I am hoping these features get added into BitAddress.org so there is a browser-based platform-independent solution.

I don't have a time frame but I am working on it.

The use case for these fancy paper wallets is the full set of use cases for paper wallets with the addition of being able to give BTC as a gift certificate. Also less likely someone would throw out a paper wallet by accident when it looks like something of value.

I also think there is value in having these paper wallets with you and when you want to buy something with your mobile phone you load the private key with your mobile. That way you don't have to leave too much BTC on your phone or with an online wallet where it can be hacked.

Coder of: https://www.bitaddress.org      Thread
Open Source JavaScript Client-Side Bitcoin Wallet Generator
Donations: 1NiNja1bUmhSoTXozBRBEtR8LeF9TGbZBN   PGP
dentldir

Activity: 333
Merit: 250

View Profile
August 12, 2012, 07:05:00 AM

I think the question is "how do I know the private key that I can't see actually unlocks the address on the bill?"  This is exactly the problem with any physical bitcoins you can make at home - the person receiving them has to trust that there's not just a happy face under the hologram instead of a privkey.

This.  In reading the wiki:

https://en.bitcoin.it/wiki/Private_key

It says that the private key and the address are mapped one to one.  So the verification would be the same as the "Generate Address" function in the client just using a precreated private key.  I supposed I answered my own question:  Verifying a private key offline is trivial and does not require access to the blockchain to do so.

Cool.

1DentLdiRMv3dpmpmqWsQev8BUaty9vN3v
SgtSpike
Legendary

Activity: 1400
Merit: 1005

View Profile
August 12, 2012, 07:12:06 AM

I think the question is "how do I know the private key that I can't see actually unlocks the address on the bill?"  This is exactly the problem with any physical bitcoins you can make at home - the person receiving them has to trust that there's not just a happy face under the hologram instead of a privkey.

It says that the private key and the address are mapped one to one.  So the verification would be the same as the "Generate Address" function in the client just using a precreated private key.  I supposed I answered my own question:  Verifying a private key offline is trivial and does not require access to the blockchain to do so.

Cool.
But, verifying that coins do indeed exist at the corresponding public key DOES require access to the blockchain (or a trusted service).
pointbiz

Activity: 437
Merit: 415

1ninja

View Profile
August 12, 2012, 05:02:13 PM

Cool.

This verification can be done with bitaddress.org on the Wallet Details tab.

Coder of: https://www.bitaddress.org      Thread
Open Source JavaScript Client-Side Bitcoin Wallet Generator
Donations: 1NiNja1bUmhSoTXozBRBEtR8LeF9TGbZBN   PGP
unclemantis

Activity: 98
Merit: 10

(:firstbits => "1mantis")

View Profile
August 12, 2012, 06:33:32 PM

How would one verify an offline wallet, OFFLINE?

PHP, Ruby, Rails, ASP, JavaScript, SQL
20+ years experience w/ Internet Technologies
Bitcoin OTC | GPG Public Key                                                                               thoughts?
Gyrsur
Legendary

Activity: 2856
Merit: 1518

Bitcoin Legal Tender Countries: 2 of 206

View Profile WWW
August 12, 2012, 07:13:42 PM

not possible, the receiver has to check it online before accepting the bill and transfer the amount away. one possibility could be a trusted third party check the oflline wallet during print out of the bill but then the problem is after print out someone can use the private key and transfer the amount away. a quick check would be to check if the public adress was used already in the past. if not the bill has the whole amount. EDIT: nonsense, offline wallet has to be loaded therefore it was used already!

unclemantis

View Profile
August 12, 2012, 07:37:52 PM

not possible, the receiver has to check it online before accepting the bill and transfer the amount away. one possibility could be a trusted third party check the oflline wallet during print out of the bill but then the problem is after print out someone can use the private key and transfer the amount away. a quick check would be to check if the public adress was used already in the past. if not the bill has the whole amount. EDIT: nonsense, offline wallet has to be loaded therefore it was used already!

The selling point of paper money or coin money is that the value of the token is already established and knowledge that once the token exchanges owners the value of it transfers as well as 100 percent of the control. I do not think that having bitcoin paper money is going to act 100 percent like the precived notion of existing paper or metal monetary tokens.

My thoughts are that we need to revisit the intended use of the paper wallet for everyday transactions.

Thoughts?

Bitcoin OTC | GPG Public Key                                                                               thoughts?
cbeast
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1736
Merit: 1006

Let's talk governance, lipstick, and pigs.

View Profile
August 12, 2012, 07:45:14 PM

The selling point of paper money or coin money is that the value of the token is already established and knowledge that once the token exchanges owners the value of it transfers as well as 100 percent of the control. I do not think that having bitcoin paper money is going to act 100 percent like the precived notion of existing paper or metal monetary tokens.

My thoughts are that we need to revisit the intended use of the paper wallet for everyday transactions.

Thoughts?
They are not intended to be used for transactions except maybe under special circumstance. They are nice looking offline wallets.

Any significantly advanced cryptocurrency is indistinguishable from Ponzi Tulips.
Gyrsur
Legendary

View Profile WWW
August 12, 2012, 07:50:50 PM
Last edit: August 12, 2012, 08:24:59 PM by Gyrsur

Thoughts?

Bitcoin 2.0 ??
there has to be exist special private keys only for offline wallets. only two transactions are allowed for them. 1. fund it 2. clear it

EDIT: in addition a trusted website check the public key if the offline wallet is funded and print out the bill and seal the bill with "amount approved by bla bla" ore something like that, but the receiver has to check it also if funded, so it is senseless

EDIT2: we need private keys where transactions are not allowed, then you can create a private key with a certain amount. for this you need a authority which you allowed to get a private key with a certain amount and to put a private keys amount to a private key allowed for transactions. but this could be tricky with no authorities!

EDIT3: there may be a need for a trusted third party which prints bills for bitcoins. you send this party your amount via transaction. they print the bill with a private key which is not allowed for transactions and send the bill to you. if you want to convert "papercoins" into bitcoins you have to send the bills to the trusted third party and they will send you the amount via transaction. divide and rule

--end--

rebuilder
Legendary

Activity: 1615
Merit: 1000

View Profile
August 12, 2012, 09:42:47 PM

EDIT3: there may be a need for a trusted third party which prints bills for bitcoins. you send this party your amount via transaction. they print the bill with a private key which is not allowed for transactions and send the bill to you. if you want to convert "papercoins" into bitcoins you have to send the bills to the trusted third party and they will send you the amount via transaction. divide and rule

--end--

Like an exchange? It's a little more complicated than you outline, but I take my paper money to this place called "a bank", they convert the paper into bits for me, which I wire over to an exchange of my choice and they let me convert it to BTC. The process works in reverse too, converting Bitcoins to third party paper money.

Selling out to advertisers shows you respect neither yourself nor the rest of us.
---------------------------------------------------------------
Too many low-quality posts? Mods not keeping things clean enough? Self-moderated threads let you keep signature spammers and trolls out!
Gyrsur
Legendary

View Profile WWW
August 12, 2012, 10:03:15 PM

--end--

Like an exchange? It's a little more complicated than you outline, but I take my paper money to this place called "a bank", they convert the paper into bits for me, which I wire over to an exchange of my choice and they let me convert it to BTC. The process works in reverse too, converting Bitcoins to third party paper money.

yeah, but Bitcoin paper money with change rate 1:1, maybe a second blockchain only for "Papercoins" and merge mined like Namecoins

EDIT: the problem with bitcoin bills are the transactions, for bitcoin bills you don't need transactions, it is offline money like cash

unclemantis

View Profile
August 12, 2012, 10:10:13 PM

Is there a way to create a key that is visible and when combined with another key of sorts creates a valid private key? You know like on checks the amount is of money that is transferred from the account number on the bottom is only valid by so and so?

Thoughts?

adamstgBit
Legendary

Activity: 1904
Merit: 1037

Trusted Bitcoiner

View Profile WWW
August 13, 2012, 12:00:02 AM
Last edit: August 13, 2012, 01:27:22 AM by adamstgBit

link?

Earlier in thread, should be:

thanks

i dont see how to print out the bill

i see how to print out a list of paper wallets

casascius (OP)
Mike Caldwell
VIP
Legendary

Activity: 1386
Merit: 1136

The Casascius 1oz 10BTC Silver Round (w/ Gold B)

View Profile WWW
August 13, 2012, 12:02:17 AM

I just posted an update to my Bitcoin Address Utility that allows you to create and decrypt password-protected private keys.  The keys are roughly the same size as normal private keys, but they start with "6p".

The utility can now print paper wallets with AES-encrypted keys.

This has barely been tested, so don't use it with any serious amount of money (or, use a deterministic wallet so you can recover it unencrypted).

Companies claiming they got hacked and lost your coins sounds like fraud so perfect it could be called fashionable.  I never believe them.  If I ever experience the misfortune of a real intrusion, I declare I have been honest about the way I have managed the keys in Casascius Coins.  I maintain no ability to recover or reproduce the keys, not even under limitless duress or total intrusion.  Remember that trusting strangers with your coins without any recourse is, as a matter of principle, not a best practice.  Don't keep coins online. Use paper or hardware wallets instead.
dentldir

View Profile
August 13, 2012, 12:19:26 AM

But, verifying that coins do indeed exist at the corresponding public key DOES require access to the blockchain (or a trusted service).

Correct.

So when using these bills in transactions you have to have access to the block chain.  And any transaction has to start with verifying the funds are there and immediately transferring the funds to another address.  Offline confirmation can only tell you that the private key belongs to the address, which could have nothing in it.  

A scammer would have to create some kind of race condition at the same time you do your verify and move to try and get the money before you do.  (i.e. trigger an automated transfer of their own right before you do yours).  So if they are pounding away on their cell phone as you are scanning the QR codes with your phone you know something is up.  Although the trigger person could be a block away with binoculars waiting for some kind of signal as well.  I'm sensing the plot to a really bad movie here but its fun to think about nonetheless.

Another angle on this is that paper makes a better archival medium than DVD-R or USB keys.  So print up a BTC note, fund it, then  deposit it in a safety deposit box.

dentldir

View Profile
August 13, 2012, 12:22:30 AM

This verification can be done with bitaddress.org on the Wallet Details tab.

I did see that. Reading the Javascript there is exactly how I got my head straight on this stuff.

That page is amazing.  If anyone hasn't read the source, do yourself a favor and check it out.

dentldir

View Profile
August 13, 2012, 12:23:38 AM

I just posted an update to my Bitcoin Address Utility that allows you to create and decrypt password-protected private keys.  The keys are roughly the same size as normal private keys, but they start with "6p".

The utility can now print paper wallets with AES-encrypted keys.

This has barely been tested, so don't use it with any serious amount of money (or, use a deterministic wallet so you can recover it unencrypted).

Thanks so much for sharing this.  Downloading now.

Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: