Bitcoin Forum
May 06, 2024, 06:21:13 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: I just made my first Bitcoin ATM withdrawal... 3BTC from my printer.  (Read 14462 times)
casascius (OP)
Mike Caldwell
VIP
Legendary

Activity: 1386
Merit: 1136

The Casascius 1oz 10BTC Silver Round (w/ Gold B)

View Profile WWW
August 08, 2012, 09:40:21 PM

- So only the recipient has internet access in your example: he doesnt want to hand you cash until he sees the private key you are handing over actually has money in it. So he can scan it, hand it back and say it was already empty and runs away. Well he just stole the coins.

By the same token, you could hand him a $20 bill, and he could put it in the register, close the drawer, and then claim it was a $10, or that you gave him nothing at all.  Your word against his.  It's bad for business.  At least where I shop.

Lets pretend for a minute none of that matters, say casascius physical coins have a hidden private key under a hologram... Well if casascius wants to make any profit at all he has to sell them for more than they are worth. This means that if it is at all possible to make a fake, that costs less than it is worth, the market WILL get flooded with fakes.

That could actually happen, but so far it has not.  It's just as possible to make real physical bitcoins and make a profit.  At DefCon, I walked around wearing a T-shirt that says "I SELL PHYSICAL BITCOINS", and was charging $15 cash for 1BTC coins worth under $9 at MtGox, selling to anyone who'd stop me in the halls.  What's better, the $6 I could make consistently by marking up the coin, or the $9 I could scam people for until I was shut down?  Meat may be tasty but you don't slaughter a cash cow.

Now there is one scenario that may work: if it costs MORE to produce a physical bitcoin representation than it is worth. In that case you wouldn't want to make a fake that costs more than its worth.  But why on earth would anyone do such a thing? They can not make profit and lose money doing it?

The economics of producing holograms are such that it's a big investment to get the holographic master made.  On the flip side, if you start scamming people, you'll be left with a bunch of coin materials you can't move because people have caught on to your scam and stopped buying.

In the end, you're right: somebody enterprising could put their efforts into counterfeiting my coins and it would be disappointing.  But so far that hasn't happened, and they continue to be a great gift and promotional tool for Bitcoin.

Companies claiming they got hacked and lost your coins sounds like fraud so perfect it could be called fashionable.  I never believe them.  If I ever experience the misfortune of a real intrusion, I declare I have been honest about the way I have managed the keys in Casascius Coins.  I maintain no ability to recover or reproduce the keys, not even under limitless duress or total intrusion.  Remember that trusting strangers with your coins without any recourse is, as a matter of principle, not a best practice.  Don't keep coins online. Use paper or hardware wallets instead.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"Governments are good at cutting off the heads of a centrally controlled networks like Napster, but pure P2P networks like Gnutella and Tor seem to be holding their own." -- Satoshi
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
unclemantis

Activity: 98
Merit: 10

(:firstbits => "1mantis")

View Profile
August 08, 2012, 09:55:37 PM

I will use one this Friday when giving a donation to my local hacker space. I guess I will have to fold in in half a few times before placing it in the donation jar or hand it directly to the head hacker Smiley

PHP, Ruby, Rails, ASP, JavaScript, SQL
20+ years experience w/ Internet Technologies
Bitcoin OTC | GPG Public Key                                                                               thoughts?
BitLucky

Activity: 168
Merit: 100

View Profile
August 08, 2012, 10:56:33 PM

I will use one this Friday when giving a donation to my local hacker space. I guess I will have to fold in in half a few times before placing it in the donation jar or hand it directly to the head hacker Smiley
That's a cool idea for these notes!
mobile4ever

Activity: 546
Merit: 500

View Profile
August 08, 2012, 11:05:29 PM

I assume it's the private key that's under your finger. Without any additional security measures, how can one be sure that a paper coin is unspent?

The idea with these is that the receiver of a bill scans the private key, immediately moving the funds to another address. The bill can then be discarded.

So stupid... if you NEED INTERNET ACCESS to verify it, then why is it in paper in the first place?

This is only useful for personal offline backup, never to be used for public transfer.

You are right, but since mobile devices are usually connected to the web in some way these days, that should not be a problem. But... since this person is not answering if it works with mobiles or not... no one will know, eh?
RDWHAHB

Activity: 24
Merit: 0

View Profile
August 09, 2012, 12:00:44 AM

The recipient needs internet access. I plan to use this method if I for local, in person sale of my bitcoins for cash.

For example: I have a localbitcoin ad to sell 10BTC. Someone responds and we meet wherever he is comfortable with his internet access. I print and fund a 10BTC bill before going out to meet him/her. We exchange cash for paper, and they transfer the coin to there own wallet. Yes, they should have access, but I don't need anything other than my printed coin. I don't have a smart phone so this is ideal for me.
[...]
- So only the recipient has internet access in your example: he doesnt want to hand you cash until he sees the private key you are handing over actually has money in it. So he can scan it, hand it back and say it was already empty and runs away. Well he just stole the coins.
- (Well just let him scan the public key and not the private one) well ok in that case you can scam him by NOT putting the REAL private key under your thumb
- He doesnt want to hand you cash until he knows he can get bitcoins, you dont want him to scan any private key until you have cash
Have you never bought or sold anything in person? If you put the coin there, you know it's there. The other party saying it isn't and running off is no different than just plain stealing it in the first place. Actually, you even have proof that you funded the address.

If that requires escrow, everything requires escrow.
n8rwJeTt8TrrLKPa55eU

Activity: 588
Merit: 500

View Profile
August 09, 2012, 12:34:31 AM

is this the reason to have quarter coins (0.25) available with dollar?

That's right, some of the fractional coin denominations were inherited from the time when the coins were physically cut into pieces to make change.  And it's also the reason why stocks in the USA were, until fairly recently, quoted fractionally using units of 1/8ths, instead of arbitrary decimal digits.
naypalm
Legendary

Activity: 1272
Merit: 1012

howdy

View Profile WWW
August 09, 2012, 05:08:30 AM

Very cool!  Cheesy

unclemantis

View Profile
August 09, 2012, 01:20:28 PM

0.001BTC

1JkoYMWCEE65DyjHBFpC6Gg7YWQvc26FXz

AES 128 PASSPHRASE ENCRYPTED PRIVATE KEY

Looks like my bit cheque still has a balance. Come on people. If you did a search on this forum you will see I used the same passphrase as my last contest. It is ripe for the picking at 119 confirmations.

Bitcoin OTC | GPG Public Key                                                                               thoughts?
Clark

Activity: 548
Merit: 502

So much code.

View Profile WWW
August 09, 2012, 03:59:53 PM

Looks like my bit cheque still has a balance. Come on people. If you did a search on this forum you will see I used the same passphrase as my last contest. It is ripe for the picking at 119 confirmations.

Cool

BoardGameCoin

Activity: 283
Merit: 250

View Profile
August 09, 2012, 04:32:31 PM

I've been experimenting with these via your BitAddress utility. I think they're useful as is for a stylish paper wallet, but here's some suggestions:

• The key text is facing the wrong way. I had to fold the bill over to read the public key without the private key showing. If the key text was rotated 180 degrees, then I could cover the private key with my hand while I enter the public key
  • The private key QR-Code is a bit large (I think you already commented on this)
  • The public key text is a bit too small
  • The bill as a whole seems a bit large to me. It might be nice to do something like four to a sheet and just make them a bit smaller.

I'm already grateful for where they are now, and I've gotten off my duff and made some paper wallets as a result. Thanks a bunch!

-bgc

I'm selling great Minion Games like The Manhattan Project, Kingdom of Solomon and Venture Forth at 4% off retail starting June 2012. PM me or go to my thread in the Marketplace if you're interested.

For Settlers/Dominion/Carcassone etc., I do email gift cards on Amazon for a 5% fee. PM if you're interested.
casascius (OP)
Mike Caldwell
VIP
Legendary

View Profile WWW
August 09, 2012, 04:54:10 PM

I've been experimenting with these via your BitAddress utility. I think they're useful as is for a stylish paper wallet, but here's some suggestions:

• The key text is facing the wrong way. I had to fold the bill over to read the public key without the private key showing. If the key text was rotated 180 degrees, then I could cover the private key with my hand while I enter the public key
  • The private key QR-Code is a bit large (I think you already commented on this)
  • The public key text is a bit too small
  • The bill as a whole seems a bit large to me. It might be nice to do something like four to a sheet and just make them a bit smaller.

I'm already grateful for where they are now, and I've gotten off my duff and made some paper wallets as a result. Thanks a bunch!

-bgc

I agree with you on all counts, but might leave the private QR code large just having seen how they wear down in my pocket (or might make it a user selectable option).  I'd like to make the bill size an option, and also have different bill colors an option as well.  I will probably make it auto-sense the paper size and fill the sheet, right now it is just hard coded to 3 to a page and doesn't even consider the paper size/orientation.

Companies claiming they got hacked and lost your coins sounds like fraud so perfect it could be called fashionable.  I never believe them.  If I ever experience the misfortune of a real intrusion, I declare I have been honest about the way I have managed the keys in Casascius Coins.  I maintain no ability to recover or reproduce the keys, not even under limitless duress or total intrusion.  Remember that trusting strangers with your coins without any recourse is, as a matter of principle, not a best practice.  Don't keep coins online. Use paper or hardware wallets instead.
mpfrank

Activity: 247

Cosmic Cubist

View Profile
August 09, 2012, 06:33:45 PM

OK, Windows users can download my current version of the utility and print Bitcoin notes!  It's on the menu under Tools - Paper Wallet Generator.

Binary and source is included.  https://casascius.com/btcaddress.zip

Requires .NET Framework 4.0 (which should be present on any recent Windows system).  Compiling Source requires Visual Studio 2010 (and probably will work with the free versions of Microsoft's C# compiler)

Note there is a PNG file that contains the graphic used on the notes - you can change this with any other png file with the same aspect ratio.

EDIT: I forgot it also uses the Ubuntu font, and if you don't have this installed, it will probably substitute some other font on your system.

Maybe I'm being dense, but, I don't see a Tools menu.  At the top there is only a button that says "Wallet Generator" and a button that says "Help."  The Wallet Generator button brings up another window that says "Paper Wallet Generator", but it only prints a plain-text list of keys, not the pretty bank note.  Did you revert your ZIP file to an older version?  The one I downloaded from the above URL didn't include the source either...

If all the sovereign non-cryptocurrencies will eventually collapse from hyperinflation, you can't afford *not* to invest in Bitcoin...  See my blog at http://minetopics.blogspot.com/ .

Donations accepted at:  17twYNyqTiCTM2gJmumkytvhZh4sCVSKNH
Kupsi
Legendary

Activity: 1193
Merit: 1003

9.9.2012: I predict that single digits... <- FAIL

View Profile
August 09, 2012, 07:18:14 PM

Maybe I'm being dense, but, I don't see a Tools menu.  At the top there is only a button that says "Wallet Generator" and a button that says "Help."  The Wallet Generator button brings up another window that says "Paper Wallet Generator", but it only prints a plain-text list of keys, not the pretty bank note.  Did you revert your ZIP file to an older version?  The one I downloaded from the above URL didn't include the source either...
I can confirm that the zip file has changed to an older version.
casascius (OP)
Mike Caldwell
VIP
Legendary

View Profile WWW
August 09, 2012, 07:38:14 PM

Sorry about that, I didn't realize I accidentally reverted it to an earlier version.  I sent an update to my website and didn't realize that an old btcaddress.zip was actually in the update and overwrote what I had posted.

I have restored the newer version.

mpfrank

Activity: 247

Cosmic Cubist

View Profile
August 09, 2012, 08:32:55 PM

Thanks.  So the "Denomination" option does not actually do anything yet?  I didn't notice any difference in how the bills were printed...

If all the sovereign non-cryptocurrencies will eventually collapse from hyperinflation, you can't afford *not* to invest in Bitcoin...  See my blog at http://minetopics.blogspot.com/ .

Donations accepted at:  17twYNyqTiCTM2gJmumkytvhZh4sCVSKNH
Meatpile

Activity: 277

View Profile
August 09, 2012, 09:12:44 PM

By the same token, you could hand him a $20 bill, and he could put it in the register, close the drawer, and then claim it was a $10, or that you gave him nothing at all.  Your word against his.  It's bad for business.  At least where I shop.

Lets pretend for a minute none of that matters, say casascius physical coins have a hidden private key under a hologram... Well if casascius wants to make any profit at all he has to sell them for more than they are worth. This means that if it is at all possible to make a fake, that costs less than it is worth, the market WILL get flooded with fakes.

That could actually happen, but so far it has not.  It's just as possible to make real physical bitcoins and make a profit.  At DefCon, I walked around wearing a T-shirt that says "I SELL PHYSICAL BITCOINS", and was charging $15 cash for 1BTC coins worth under $9 at MtGox, selling to anyone who'd stop me in the halls.  What's better, the $6 I could make consistently by marking up the coin, or the $9 I could scam people for until I was shut down?  Meat may be tasty but you don't slaughter a cash cow.

Now there is one scenario that may work: if it costs MORE to produce a physical bitcoin representation than it is worth. In that case you wouldn't want to make a fake that costs more than its worth.  But why on earth would anyone do such a thing? They can not make profit and lose money doing it?

The economics of producing holograms are such that it's a big investment to get the holographic master made.  On the flip side, if you start scamming people, you'll be left with a bunch of coin materials you can't move because people have caught on to your scam and stopped buying.

In the end, you're right: somebody enterprising could put their efforts into counterfeiting my coins and it would be disappointing.  But so far that hasn't happened, and they continue to be a great gift and promotional tool for Bitcoin.

Well there are two different realms here: you are selling these physical bitcoins for novelty and its neat and mostly direct to user sales. Of course you wouldnt sell fakes. But if the whole idea is to have random people trade random "physical bitcoins" all over the world to actually do business, then its not a novelty anymore and real security is very important.

I hate when people fallback to comparing bitcoin thefts to "just like cash". Its a bullshit non-argument. You can't report theft of your intangible digital money to any authority right now, possibly never in the future will it be respected by law enforcement. This is very clear how all the current theives get away scott free.  And secondly the BENEFIT of bitcoin is that it is digital, so we should be able to use this to layer hardware security ontop of it so it is better than cash. And lastly, if it is succeptable to ALL of the current problems that cash theft is, plus all the hacking losses, no economy, etc etc... then fuck it why bother.
unclemantis

View Profile
August 09, 2012, 10:29:10 PM

Cool

And we have a winner!

casascius (OP)
Mike Caldwell
VIP
Legendary

View Profile WWW
August 09, 2012, 11:05:00 PM

Thanks.  So the "Denomination" option does not actually do anything yet?  I didn't notice any difference in how the bills were printed...

Not on the version I posted - ironically, the only place it prints is on the 16-to-a-page wallets.  I was experimenting with cutting the page into 16 little "bills" as an initial test.  The next time I update my website though, it will print on the bill.

There is one other place it is used, and that's if you do the "sendmany" export.  The idea behind it is the text file is a command line script that funds the wallets in a batch.  The funding command needs a denomination so... it is used there.

andrehorta
Legendary

Activity: 1261
Merit: 1000

View Profile WWW
August 09, 2012, 11:06:59 PM

It´s cool!

I would like to use in Brazil.
bg002h
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1463
Merit: 1047

I outlived my lifetime membership:)

View Profile WWW
August 10, 2012, 01:29:05 AM

I assume it's the private key that's under your finger. Without any additional security measures, how can one be sure that a paper coin is unspent?

The idea with these is that the receiver of a bill scans the private key, immediately moving the funds to another address. The bill can then be discarded.

So stupid... if you NEED INTERNET ACCESS to verify it, then why is it in paper in the first place?

This is only useful for personal offline backup, never to be used for public transfer.
I take my Internet connection with me everywhere I go...

Hardforks aren't that hard. It’s getting others to use them that's hard.
1GCDzqmX2Cf513E8NeThNHxiYEivU1Chhe
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: