Bitcoin Forum
May 10, 2024, 11:56:06 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Bitcoin rites  (Read 761 times)
Topazan (OP)

Activity: 354
Merit: 250

View Profile
August 07, 2012, 09:32:31 AM

(Disclaimer: Not meant to be taken seriously.)

Money has figured into the religious and funerary rites of many cultures throughout history.

The ancient Greeks would place a coin into the mouth of the deceased for Charon.

The Egyptians have been plagued tomb-robbers throughout their long history.

Even today, many Chinese people burn Joss paper as offerings to both the gods and the spirits of the departed.

How might bitcoin bring customs like these into the digital age?

I propose that each of us creates a special "funeral address" and burns the private key.  The funeral address will be placed in our will, to be later carved into our tombstone.  When one of us dies, each of his friends and relatives will send a certain amount of BTC to this address to express their grief.

We can revive the practice of burying treasure with the dead, except this time we won't have to deal with grave robbers.  Cheesy

Any other ideas for how bitcoin can bring new life to ancient traditions?

Save the last bitcoin for me!
Bitcoin mining is now a specialized and very risky industry, just like gold mining. Amateur miners are unlikely to make much money, and may even lose money. Bitcoin is much more than just mining, though!
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
mc_lovin
Legendary

Activity: 1190
Merit: 1000

www.bitcointrading.com

View Profile WWW
August 09, 2012, 08:27:08 PM

When I'm dead, bury me with Casascius BTC.  I'll be a trillionaire in a future life.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: