Bitcoin Forum
May 09, 2024, 07:16:50 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Lots of miners or just one?  (Read 1269 times)
tvasconcelos (OP)

Activity: 66
Merit: 10

View Profile
August 07, 2012, 04:13:27 PM

Hi, this may be a stupid question but i have this doubt. I mine on p2pool, i have my main miner on a separate machine, in the datacenter pointing to my machine running bitcoind. A have other machines that i would like to point to bitcoind to help on mining. The question is, should each machine/miner have it's own username or can i have them all having the same username ?

I mean will them having the same username create a "super" miner with the sum of all hassing power, or this will simply not work, or for whatever reason is better that every single miner get it's own share to solve?? 
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
Rassah
Legendary

Activity: 1680
Merit: 1035

View Profile WWW
August 07, 2012, 04:50:30 PM

"Super miner." The only thing that matters is what address you point p2pool at. Otherwise all miners are just mining to p2pool shares, and bitcoind is only used to check mined blocks.
tvasconcelos (OP)

View Profile
August 07, 2012, 05:10:40 PM

But how will the shares be processed/handled/distributed? It will work like a cluster? the work is done by the total hash power available??

I have this doubt because i don't understand what are the gpu's really doing. How the work is processed.
racerguy

Activity: 270
Merit: 250

View Profile
August 07, 2012, 07:57:03 PM

Any share produced by your mining cluster will have the address you use for payment attached to it.
tvasconcelos (OP)

View Profile
August 08, 2012, 09:13:12 AM

I'm sorry for my ignorance...

I get to that part of the payment for work done. The question is, is it better to have a cluster or single miners.
The way i thought it was, if you have 5 miners, you have 5 shares going on at the same time, the work is distributed for every miner. A job to do.

Like, we've divided the big rock in tiny pieces, each one of you take your piece and pickaxes, and get to work until you bust that ones and then we'll give you more, each one of you.

The way i think you're saying is, here's the tiny pieces of rock, your team of miners get working, as a team, until they bust the tiny piece and move on to the next. But always as a team.

I recon the bitcoind/p2pool to be the guy with the whip, distributing the rocks and collecting the gold. But what is better for them? Having a team working at the same share, or the members of the team each one with it's own share?   

Graet
VIP
Legendary

Activity: 980
Merit: 1001

View Profile WWW
August 08, 2012, 09:33:06 AM

your gpus/cpus /fpgas all do their own bit of work and submit complete work in their own time, they do not collaborate or communicate.
it does not matter if they all have the same names or different names

personally for monitoring I prefer 1 worker per rig, makes finding which one is down much easier, end of day no difference to mining performance/payouts/anything just your personal preference Smiley

| Ozcoin Pooled Mining Pty Ltd https://ozcoin.net Double Geometric Reward System https://lc.ozcoin.net for Litecoin mining DGM| https://crowncloud.net VPS and Dedicated Servers for the BTC community
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: