Bitcoin Forum
May 21, 2024, 12:57:12 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: How world wide is bitcoin  (Read 2640 times)
Kupsi
Legendary

Activity: 1193
Merit: 1003

9.9.2012: I predict that single digits... <- FAIL

View Profile
August 08, 2012, 09:38:52 AM

WOW someone sent 15 bitcoins extremely close to me, and I thought no one knew about bitcoins near me LOL TIL
I believe the map shows the relaying nodes that send the transactions to the blockchain servers, not the originating client.  So if you run the satoshi client, maybe it was you relaying the transaction that showed up Smiley
payb.tc

Activity: 812
Merit: 1000

View Profile
August 08, 2012, 09:56:38 AM

is there any way to embiggen that tiny map?
chmod755
Legendary

Activity: 1414
Merit: 1020

View Profile WWW
August 08, 2012, 09:57:37 AM

Take a look at the map on http://blockchain.info/unconfirmed-transactions Wink

I think in countries like China most Bitcoiners are using a VPN or something like that…

payb.tc

Activity: 812

View Profile
August 08, 2012, 10:00:07 AM

Take a look at the map on http://blockchain.info/unconfirmed-transactions Wink

ColdHardMetal

Activity: 700
Merit: 500

View Profile
August 08, 2012, 11:32:54 AM

Makes sense.  Density follows internet usage/density.    The strange exception is Japan and the rest of eastern Asia.  Those countries generally have above average internet usage/access but Bitcoin popularity lags.

It's my impression Japan and many other Asian countries practically have their own internet, for all that the users in the west and the east connect. Strong language barriers, for one.

Speaking for Korea they have their own domestic web portals that have a huge percent of the market/usage share hear. Naver and Daum being the equivalent of say Google and Yahoo or something. Lots of that due to language, but I expect a large part is also due to the protectionist/nationalistic mindset and economic situation here. Koreans just like using Korean stuff. Couple that with the large chaebol (massive multinational, super vertically integrated conglomerates, think Samsung, Hyundai, LG) having such a stranglehold on the country, and there isn't a lot of room for different things.

gweedo
Legendary

Activity: 1498

View Profile
August 08, 2012, 01:43:07 PM

WOW someone sent 15 bitcoins extremely close to me, and I thought no one knew about bitcoins near me LOL TIL
I believe the map shows the relaying nodes that send the transactions to the blockchain servers, not the originating client.  So if you run the satoshi client, maybe it was you relaying the transaction that showed up Smiley

when I said extremely close, i meant like at least 50 miles to me, so probably wasn't me, and yes they are relay nodes.
World

Activity: 743
Merit: 500

View Profile
August 08, 2012, 08:48:08 PM

map should be in full-screen view is very small

Supporting people with beautiful creative ideas. Bitcoin is because of the developers,exchanges,merchants,miners,investors,users,machines and blockchain technologies work together.
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  

Jump to: