Bitcoin Forum
May 03, 2024, 02:23:38 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: A Blockchain Voting System  (Read 1041 times)
CaptainHerpDerp (OP)

Activity: 42
Merit: 0

View Profile
March 14, 2015, 08:46:23 PM

I don't vote because I have lost all faith in politicians. I don't vote because all it seems to be is voting for a cheek of the same arse, or a lesser of an evil. I'm sure some of you may feel the same.

Bitcoin as money is an amazing concept and a voting system based on blockchain technology that couldn't be fiddled would be ground shaking change.

(Change you can believe in? remember that? )((Bull shit))

I would vote if I knew 100% that my vote counted. Not voting for some candidate already vetted by the establisment.

I think this is probably being worked on by someone right now, the world needs it... politics is full of liars and charlatans.

Wouldn't it be great if voting field of play was made level by cryptography?

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
If you see garbage posts (off-topic, trolling, spam, no point, etc.), use the "report to moderator" links. All reports are investigated, though you will rarely be contacted about your reports.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
Decentradical

Activity: 602
Merit: 250

View Profile
March 14, 2015, 08:57:21 PM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s7tWHJfhiyo
NUFCrichard
Legendary

Activity: 1218
Merit: 1003

View Profile
March 14, 2015, 10:12:59 PM

I don't vote because I have lost all faith in politicians. I don't vote because all it seems to be is voting for a cheek of the same arse, or a lesser of an evil. I'm sure some of you may feel the same.

Bitcoin as money is an amazing concept and a voting system based on blockchain technology that couldn't be fiddled would be ground shaking change.

I would vote if I knew 100% that my vote counted. Not voting for some candidate already vetted by the establisment.

I think this is probably being worked on by someone right now, the world needs it... politics is full of liars and charlatans.

Blockchain voting would be good, but I don't think it would change the core problem of politics, i.e. that everyone knows that only 2 or 3 people can possibly win, all of those with a chance to win offer little real change, and when they get in they do something completely different to what they said beforehand.

First past the post is difficult, especially in the UK as a party can get 40% of the vote and win by a landslide, but without first past the post minority parties hold the power by always being able to choose who is in power.

In the US first past the post is fine, 2 parties, one wins.
CaptainHerpDerp (OP)

View Profile
March 14, 2015, 10:29:20 PM

Blockchain voting would be good, but I don't think it would change the core problem of politics, i.e. that everyone knows that only 2 or 3 people can possibly win, all of those with a chance to win offer little real change, and when they get in they do something completely different to what they said beforehand.

First past the post is difficult, especially in the UK as a party can get 40% of the vote and win by a landslide, but without first past the post minority parties hold the power by always being able to choose who is in power.

Yeah I see what you mean but If nothing else if somehow the people had a totally transparent vote system where it was 100% trusted and you could see votes in real time, that would allay peoples fears of mistrust imo. A brillaint use for a new (blockchain)technology.

Even if it was the same outcome it would be a more open and provably fair which is I think my main point I'm trying to make. I just don't have any trust in the system. Bitcoin (protocol) is trust.

EDIT: I wouldn't have much grounds of complaint if I knew a candidate hands down was elected by fair representation proved by an infallible technology.

ALso.... think about all the places in poor countries run by despots who rig elections.
croato

Activity: 616
Merit: 500

1BkEzspSxp2zzHiZTtUZJ6TjEb1hERFdRr

View Profile
March 15, 2015, 12:50:07 AM

I dont think Blockchain voting system would be good. I dont think anyone should see my votes and party i support so in case of blockchain voting i would sure not vote. Even if most of free world make sort of direct democraty and ppl could realy vote on laws and take part in politicks for real i would not want everyone can see my votes.
CaptainHerpDerp (OP)

View Profile
March 15, 2015, 07:55:46 AM

I dont think Blockchain voting system would be good. I dont think anyone should see my votes and party i support so in case of blockchain voting i would sure not vote. Even if most of free world make sort of direct democraty and ppl could realy vote on laws and take part in politicks for real i would not want everyone can see my votes.

Done in a way not to reveal identity though
Snail2
Legendary

Activity: 1512
Merit: 1000

View Profile
March 15, 2015, 10:38:34 AM

Blockchain voting systems are already implemented in a couple of altcoins, but those are fully transparent.
Lorenzo

Activity: 406
Merit: 250

View Profile
March 15, 2015, 11:38:00 AM

It would be very difficult and probably impossible to offer voting for government candidates via the blockchain without requiring proof of ID. Otherwise it would be trivial to manipulate the results. As Snail2 said, there are altcoins out there right now that have implemented or are looking towards implementing a voting feature. Most are designed so that your voting power is proportional to your stake. Examples include NXT, Qora, and BitShares.

There are countries with governments composed of multiple smaller parties with no single party having a clear majority although these tend to be in the minority.

e.g. 2010 Dutch election results:

Also Switzerland has a very unusual government that is unique in the world.

Quote from: Wikipedia
The politics of Switzerland take place in the framework of a multi-party federal directorial democratic republic, whereby the Federal Council of Switzerland is the head of government and head of state. Executive power is exercised by the government and the federal administration and is not concentrated in any one person. Federal legislative power is vested in both the government and the two chambers of the Federal Assembly of Switzerland. The judiciary is independent of the executive and the legislature.

Switzerland is the closest state in the world to a direct democracy. For any change in the constitution, a referendum is mandatory (mandatory referendum); for any change in a law, a referendum can be requested (optional referendum). Through referenda, citizens may challenge any law voted by federal parliament and through federal popular initiative introduce amendments to the federal constitution.

Source: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Politics_of_Switzerland

While there is a President, that role is mostly ceremonial and grants no additional political power. There is no real equivalent of a "prime minister" either. The Federal Council of Switzerland is the head of government and it consists of seven people. Each represents a political party and its composition changes over time.
CaptainHerpDerp (OP)

View Profile
March 16, 2015, 12:34:23 PM
Last edit: March 16, 2015, 12:45:57 PM by CaptainHerpDerp

Why couldn't it be as simple as having the system like it is now....you take your polling card on voting day, with your details. You turn up to vote and are presented with an electronic vote screen but this time instead of proprietary software you cannot trust in a voting sense, it is run by an open public ledger registering peoples votes?

grendel25
Legendary

Activity: 2282
Merit: 1031

View Profile
March 17, 2015, 01:42:01 AM

This is an idea worth spreading and I made a few posts commenting on similar content.  I think we will see true voting tracking and accountability in our lifetimes even though right now it's mired in political trash-talk.

..EPICENTRAL .....
..EPIC: Epic Private Internet Cash..
▄▄█████████▄▄
▄█████████████████▄
▄█████████████████████▄
▄████████████████▀▀█████▄
▄████████████▀▀▀    ██████▄
████████▀▀▀   ▄▀   ████████
█████▄     ▄█▀     ████████
████████▄ █▀      █████████
▀████████▌▐       ████████▀
▀████████ ▄██▄  ████████▀
▀█████████████▄███████▀
▀█████████████████▀
▀▀█████████▀▀
▄▄█████████▄▄
▄█████████████████▄
▄█████████████████████▄
▄████████▀█████▀████████▄
▄██████▀  ▀     ▀  ▀██████▄
██████▌             ▐██████
██████    ██   ██    ██████
█████▌    ▀▀   ▀▀    ▐█████
▀█████▄  ▄▄     ▄▄  ▄█████▀
▀██████▄▄███████▄▄██████▀
▀█████████████████████▀
▀█████████████████▀
▀▀█████████▀▀
[/center]
BADecker
Legendary

Activity: 3780
Merit: 1372

View Profile
March 17, 2015, 02:42:21 AM

Actually, voting for President in the States isn't done by the people. It is done by the delegates to the electoral college.

Here is what the voting done by the people does. It sways the members of the electoral college in the direction that they vote. But, the members of the college aren't necessarily required to vote the way the people seem to be voting in their popular vote.

Ours is a land where much of the formal government is by representation. The fact that the people, through vote, are behind getting the electoral college members set in place - it's a strange process - they have essentially cast their vote through whatever the electoral college members decide to do... even if it is the decision of the college to NOT follow the popular vote of the people.

Smiley

BUDESONIDE essentially cures Covid symptoms in one day to one week >>> https://budesonideworks.com/.
Hydroxychloroquine is being used against Covid with great success >>> https://altcensored.com/watch?v=otRN0X6F81c.
Masks are stupid. Watch the first 5 minutes >>> https://www.bitchute.com/video/rlWESmrijl8Q/.
Don't be afraid to donate Bitcoin. Thank you. >>> 1JDJotyxZLFF8akGCxHeqMkD4YrrTmEAwz
BitCoinNutJob
Legendary

Activity: 1316
Merit: 1000

View Profile
March 17, 2015, 03:44:31 PM

Can we just have a system where no single human holds any power for any length of time?  havent worked out the details but something like this...

Anyone who feels strongly about any issue submits the issue up on the public ledger using whatever communication medium they choose.   Anyone who is interested "upvotes" it.  Resources allocated to that area/issue via what people consider the % of public money should be spent on that particular issue.  

Workers would do jobs for the public via donations, skilled public workers would gather feedback, feedback could be reset/refreshed if reports came back of dip in quality.  Public services are handy for everyone, most people would donate if they truly had a vote or if the public system helped their business?  

Also be good if you are out of work/homeless. just check out the "ledger" find a task like cutting a bush, bid on the task, go do the job, get paid instantly in bitcoin.

Doesnt necessarily have to be a 1 world system? if terrorists attack initiailly then army workers become of higher value, people vote to kick arse, resources are allocated, feedback is awaited.   If corruption or bad war is fought the system adapts via individuals voting.  Its not like wars now are always just, its not like we dont risk total human extinction now.
manselr
Legendary

Activity: 868
Merit: 1004

View Profile
March 17, 2015, 06:50:39 PM

There are things in the making, Maid an Ethereum could be an even better solution for the voting thing than the Blockchain. I would be more inclined to vote, if I knew my vote wouldn't be able to be manipulated, which is what crypto can deliver.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: