Bitcoin Forum
May 06, 2024, 01:23:34 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Wiki Weapon  (Read 6998 times)
TheBitcoinChemist (OP)

Activity: 70
Merit: 10

View Profile
August 07, 2012, 06:39:50 PM

http://defensedistributed.com/

Someone get these guys to take bitcoin, and I'm in.
Every time a block is mined, a certain amount of BTC (called the subsidy) is created out of thin air and given to the miner. The subsidy halves every four years and will reach 0 in about 130 years.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
D4CH

Activity: 68

View Profile
August 07, 2012, 06:42:00 PM

Well that was quickly.

BTC: 1FPdKgBw2MKRUUwB6DtSKfP3JyrN5DMd2y LTC: LSHxgTHmYZzq2AyUL4WfQLA6YSzGH5qSrr BTE: 8FCuGmC39M86FoBh7WqNCacpabmQtHHbEa
TheBitcoinChemist (OP)

Activity: 70

View Profile
August 07, 2012, 06:45:35 PM

Well that was quickly.

Yeah, it looks like the same guys that produced the printed AR-15 lower receiver mentioned last week.
myrkul

Activity: 532
Merit: 500

FIAT LIBERTAS RVAT CAELVM

View Profile WWW
August 07, 2012, 08:12:00 PM

Also:
http://defensedistributed.com/bitcoin/

We are happy to accept Bitcoin contributions at the following address:

1Gb5GNxrVGMT8e9uoJ8CmamrdVz9o8fAEa

BTC1MYRkuLv4XPBa6bGnYAronz55grPAGcxja
Need Dispute resolution? Public Key ID: 0x11D341CF
No person has the right to initiate force, threat of force, or fraud against another person or their property. VIM VI REPELLERE LICET
ElectricMucus
Legendary

Activity: 1666
Merit: 1057

Marketing manager - GO MP

View Profile WWW
August 07, 2012, 08:15:50 PM

Hi to all pentagon cyber-security employees!  Wink
tgmarks
Donator

Activity: 490

View Profile
August 07, 2012, 08:17:12 PM

Haha, this made me actually laugh in my cubical!

This project is awesome though, way cool.

myrkul

View Profile WWW
August 07, 2012, 08:19:33 PM

Haha, this made me actually laugh in my cubical!

Pentagon employee spotted! Wink

No person has the right to initiate force, threat of force, or fraud against another person or their property. VIM VI REPELLERE LICET
wachtwoord
Legendary

Activity: 2324
Merit: 1125

View Profile
August 07, 2012, 08:21:08 PM

Why start with a weapon though  Huh

Information should be free is something I completely agree with though. Time to cancel all copyright laws.
myrkul

View Profile WWW
August 07, 2012, 08:26:54 PM

Why start with a weapon though  Huh

Because the 2nd amendment is how you enforce the 1st and 3-10. Wink

wachtwoord
Legendary

View Profile
August 07, 2012, 08:28:26 PM

Okay, now without referencing the American constitution please. I could really care less what is in there.
myrkul

View Profile WWW
August 07, 2012, 08:32:08 PM

Okay, now without referencing the American constitution please. I could really care less what is in there.

Sorry. I sometimes forget we are a world-wide community. The reasoning behind starting with a weapon is inherent, though, in the ideas behind the 2nd amendment. I'll let Ice-T say it for me:

tgmarks
Donator

Activity: 490

View Profile
August 07, 2012, 08:33:18 PM

The principle is the same whether you refer to the # of the amendment and the ones is defends or the actual meaning and words of those amendments.

ElectricMucus
Legendary

View Profile WWW
August 07, 2012, 08:40:23 PM

Well, wachtwoord has a point though:
There isn't a 2nd amendment equivalent in most countries around the world, where I live that is only formulated as a grant not a right, and only granted as a relic of reformation period of monarchy in my county, although still valid. And in some countries there is nothing, except that mocking UN-declaration.
wachtwoord
Legendary

View Profile
August 07, 2012, 08:43:32 PM

There is nothing wrong with the right. Most people are just to stupid to understand when to exercise the right. Guns turn stupid, meaningless petty people that in normal situations can be ignored for the meaningless people that they are, into actual threats that cannot be ignored.

The human body is really vulnerable and death is final.
ElectricMucus
Legendary

View Profile WWW
August 07, 2012, 08:54:35 PM

You are entitled to your opinion, but you'd have a hard time arguing about it in a thread about selfmade guns Wink
wachtwoord
Legendary

View Profile
August 07, 2012, 08:59:18 PM

I do not challenge the right of people to carry arms
I do not challenge the right to carry out this project, in fact I applaud the though behind it: Freedom of information

I just would have preferred them choosing something else than weapons as their initial subject

The thread is not about homemade weapons imho, it's about one of the first projects related to open source automated physical object development (may be we need a revised version of GNU GPL?). Very interesting and not directly related to guns or weapons of any sort. Of course, no matter what the initial subject is, weapons will be produced (I am not delusional).
myrkul

View Profile WWW
August 07, 2012, 09:05:20 PM

I do not challenge the right to carry out this project, in fact I applaud the though behind it: Freedom of information

I just would have preferred them choosing something else than weapons as their initial subject

The thread is not about homemade weapons imho, it's about one of the first projects related to open source automated physical object development (may be we need a revised version of GNU GPL?). Very interesting and not directly related to guns or weapons of any sort. Of course, no matter what the initial subject is, weapons will be produced (I am not delusional).

Thing is, by choosing to use a weapon, they have made a very strong statement: that all information, regardless of content, should be free.

ElectricMucus
Legendary

View Profile WWW
August 07, 2012, 09:10:36 PM

The thread is not about homemade weapons imho, it's about one of the first projects related to open source automated physical object development (may be we need a revised version of GNU GPL?).
Oh well lets see we have

a complete civilization: http://opensourceecology.org/wiki/Global_Village_Construction_Set
about every gadget you can imagine: http://www.thingiverse.com
a car: http://wikispeed.com/
a plane http://makerplane.org/

not to mention various electronic devices from computers, game consoles and instruments (I own 2 of them actually)
It is hard to think of anything not being developed in a open source model...

Yes it's time.

nimda

Activity: 784
Merit: 1000

0xFB0D8D1534241423

View Profile
August 07, 2012, 09:16:03 PM

Repraps are a "relatively" old concept. Relative to printing AR-15 lowers.
"open source automated physical object development" --> RepRap
nedbert9

Activity: 252
Merit: 250

Inactive

View Profile
August 07, 2012, 09:45:38 PM

Well, wachtwoord has a point though:
There isn't a 2nd amendment equivalent in most countries around the world, where I live that is only formulated as a grant not a right, and only granted as a relic of reformation period of monarchy in my county, although still valid. And in some countries there is nothing, except that mocking UN-declaration.

The principle behind the US 2nd amendment is a result of enlightened evolution of government.  An acknowledgement by the intellectual elite (arguably Cheesy) that governments have and will devolve and operate to the detriment of society and at that point there are likely no options to effect positive governmental change other than by force.

If one recalls the turmoil in Europe a few hundred years ago of wholesale dissolution of parliaments and back and forth struggle for complete and absolute power by monarchies it's no surprise that the profound right for the people to bear arms, or more pointedly for the common people to pose a real threat to their own government, is not something found in the old world.

Now, if one thinks that stupid or disturbed people having guns and shooting up movie theaters is scary consider that in today's world the US citizen, with the right to bear basic weaponry, possesses only a fraction of the force leverage against their government's technologically advanced war making and intelligence capability.  The teeth of the 2nd amendment, the counterbalance to the worst of government dysfunction, is largely gone.  No first world government has a rational reason to fear successful revolt.

What do you think the Syrian's chances would be if Syria was a first world country with commensurate war making and intelligence capability?
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: