Bitcoin Forum
May 26, 2024, 10:51:31 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Wiki Weapon  (Read 6998 times)
nimda

Activity: 784
Merit: 1000

0xFB0D8D1534241423

View Profile
August 07, 2012, 09:55:58 PM

No first world government has a rational reason to fear successful revolt.
Because the people aren't starving. There's an excellent book titled The Great Wave which shows a strong correlation between food prices and revolutions. During the French Revolution, many people had a clear cut choice: starve to death and watch your family do the same, or starve while fighting the aristocracy (and maybe steal some of their bread). I believe that if conditions get so poor in the US that people can no longer afford food, then people will find a way to revolt. At that level, it's simple survival.
vampire

Activity: 574
Merit: 500

View Profile
August 07, 2012, 10:04:07 PM

Because the people aren't starving. There's an excellent book titled The Great Wave which shows a strong correlation between food prices and revolutions. During the French Revolution, many people had a clear cut choice: starve to death and watch your family do the same, or starve while fighting the aristocracy (and maybe steal some of their bread). I believe that if conditions get so poor in the US that people can no longer afford food, then people will find a way to revolt. At that level, it's simple survival.

I can assure you, there are will be plenty of fast food available :-) Even for free. And true that, mostly most of the revolutions were due to hunger. The russian one happened because workers were starving.

ElectricMucus
Legendary

Activity: 1666
Merit: 1057

Marketing manager - GO MP

View Profile WWW
August 07, 2012, 10:07:04 PM

I can assure you, there are will be plenty of fast food available :-) Even for free. And true that, mostly most of the revolutions were due to hunger. The russian one happened because workers were starving.

Where we are headed that doesn't matter. One way or another we gonna have the system Neal Stephenson envisioned within one generation, and I have no issues posting that here, the existing power structure has already accepted that they will only play some minor role as one of these distributed systems.
nimda

0xFB0D8D1534241423

View Profile
August 07, 2012, 10:08:21 PM

http://www.amazon.com/The-Great-Wave-Revolutions-History/dp/019512121X

Recommended.
TheBitcoinChemist (OP)

Activity: 70
Merit: 10

View Profile
August 07, 2012, 10:14:33 PM

http://defensedistributed.com/bitcoin/

Apparently they already do accept bitcoin donations.

Just sent 17.76 BTC.
wachtwoord
Legendary

Activity: 2324
Merit: 1125

View Profile
August 07, 2012, 10:17:10 PM

What do you think the Syrian's chances would be if Syria was a first world country with commensurate war making and intelligence capability?

Beat and overthrow? No, wear out by:

1) Guerrilla
2) Terrorism
3) Getting a majority of the population behind the cause
TheBitcoinChemist (OP)

View Profile
August 07, 2012, 10:19:36 PM

Where we are headed that doesn't matter. One way or another we gonna have the system Neal Stephenson envisioned within one generation, and I have no issues posting that here, the existing power structure has already accepted that they will only play some minor role as one of these distributed systems.

Are you referring to The Diamond Age?
myrkul

Activity: 532

FIAT LIBERTAS RVAT CAELVM

View Profile WWW
August 07, 2012, 10:22:45 PM

Are you referring to The Diamond Age?

Damn fine book. That's the one I assumed he meant, or possibly Snow Crash.

BTC1MYRkuLv4XPBa6bGnYAronz55grPAGcxja
Need Dispute resolution? Public Key ID: 0x11D341CF
No person has the right to initiate force, threat of force, or fraud against another person or their property. VIM VI REPELLERE LICET
ElectricMucus
Legendary

Activity: 1666
Merit: 1057

Marketing manager - GO MP

View Profile WWW
August 07, 2012, 10:23:19 PM

yes ^^
nimda

0xFB0D8D1534241423

View Profile
August 07, 2012, 10:27:04 PM

Just sent 17.76 BTC.
Whoa man, $170? Do you know these people? Is there any proof whatsoever that they will make any effort to go through with the cause stated on the website?

I'm gonna stop selling bridges
TheBitcoinChemist (OP)

View Profile
August 07, 2012, 10:30:46 PM

Just sent 17.76 BTC.
Whoa man, $170? Do you know these people? Is there any proof whatsoever that they will make any effort to go through with the cause stated on the website?

I'm gonna stop selling bridges

I've already checked, and the guy that managed to make an AR-15 lower receiver is involved in this effort, so I already know that these guys aren't just looking to make a quick buck.

Besides, my money, my business.
nimda

0xFB0D8D1534241423

View Profile
August 07, 2012, 10:34:37 PM

OK. This has given me a great scam idea though; thanks.
myrkul

Activity: 532

FIAT LIBERTAS RVAT CAELVM

View Profile WWW
August 07, 2012, 10:40:01 PM

OK. This has given me a great scam idea though; thanks.

Good idea. Piss off gun enthusiasts.  Cool

BTC1MYRkuLv4XPBa6bGnYAronz55grPAGcxja
Need Dispute resolution? Public Key ID: 0x11D341CF
No person has the right to initiate force, threat of force, or fraud against another person or their property. VIM VI REPELLERE LICET
nimda

0xFB0D8D1534241423

View Profile
August 08, 2012, 02:39:23 AM

Not even that. Just in general, find something revolutionary that someone has done. Create a quick website, take the credit, pretend to be that person, say you're going to do more. Accept donations. The end.
Bitcoin Oz

Activity: 686

Wat

View Profile WWW
August 08, 2012, 02:44:36 AM

I cant wait for the replicator from star trek.

alexanderanon

Activity: 210
Merit: 100

View Profile
August 08, 2012, 07:49:32 AM

Sent a few bitcoins.

Explodicle

Activity: 950
Merit: 1001

View Profile
August 08, 2012, 08:03:45 PM

8/8 Update – The Word Grows mentions this thread.

I don't see any reason to doubt the legitimacy of this project any more than other similar startups. My professional opinion* is that it's a good plan, and their site didn't scream "scam" to me. If anyone is seriously worried about fraud, they DO give out their real identities so you can verify them.

* I'm a mechanical engineer with ~3 years experience designing for and maintaining 3D printers.
RodeoX
Legendary

Activity: 3066
Merit: 1147

The revolution will be monetized!

View Profile
August 08, 2012, 08:09:06 PM

I don't see anything scammy about this.  Although, interest could drop and the project could fall apart with your donation going to waste.
I wonder what else we could print that we aren't supposed to have?

The gospel according to Satoshi - https://bitcoin.org/bitcoin.pdf
Free bitcoin in ? - Stay tuned for this years Bitcoin hunt!
tgmarks
Donator

Activity: 490

View Profile
August 08, 2012, 08:38:50 PM

I don't see anything scammy about this.  Although, interest could drop and the project could fall apart with your donation going to waste.
I wonder what else we could print that we aren't supposed to have?

Just like with any other project early on, in any type of currency.

Thats a good questions though.  What else are we not supposed to have?

nimda

0xFB0D8D1534241423

View Profile
August 08, 2012, 08:42:21 PM

Drugs. Chemical printers are presumably some distance away.
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: