Bitcoin Forum
May 04, 2024, 07:55:51 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Poll
Question: Would a CPI for Bitcoin be useful?
Yes
No
Only with modifications (please post)
No opinion

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: CPI for Bitcoin  (Read 1189 times)
dree12 (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1246
Merit: 1077

View Profile
August 07, 2012, 08:38:11 PM

A CPI is computed by taking the change in the value of BTC when compared to a basket of commodities, to measure the net inflation that the consumer takes. These commodities are divided into categories, so one can see the inflation rate of BTC compared to those categories. Would such an index be useful for Bitcoin now, or is it much too early?

I understand that many merchants price their goods in USD that is converted to a BTC price in real-time, so the Bitcoin CPI may resemble the USD CPI for a while yet. But I do see some utility for it, because some goods are priced in BTC directly and others may be based off other currencies. What do you think?

Sorry if this isn't the right section, please notify me if it isn't. If you happen to be a mod, please move it for me instead.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"The nature of Bitcoin is such that once version 0.1 was released, the core design was set in stone for the rest of its lifetime." -- Satoshi
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
Stephen Gornick
Legendary

Activity: 2506
Merit: 1010

View Profile
August 07, 2012, 09:49:03 PM

I understand that many merchants price their goods in USD that is converted to a BTC price in real-time, so the Bitcoin CPI may resemble the USD CPI for a while yet. But I do see some utility for it, because some goods are priced in BTC directly and others may be based off other currencies. What do you think?

That would be neat to see.  The effort to collect and report that data is not trivial, and there are yet hardly any well known merchants who list prices in bitcoins.

So you are probably a couple years early.

The Billion Prices Project has dropped everything but their USD index, otherwise that would have been one place where something like this might have first emerged.

- http://bpp.mit.edu/usa/

Unichange.me

█
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █

niko

Activity: 756
Merit: 501

There is more to Bitcoin than bitcoins.

View Profile
August 07, 2012, 10:20:31 PM

If and when it becomes widely adopted for merchandise, yes. There are many uses of Bitcoin which would not be reflected in CPI, though - store of value and online tipping, for example.

They're there, in their room.
Your mining rig is on fire, yet you're very calm.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: