Bitcoin Forum
May 12, 2024, 05:21:04 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Bitcoin Venture Capital $836m now 21% of Bitcoin Market Cap $3,950m  (Read 1179 times)
bitpump (OP)

Activity: 167
Merit: 101

View Profile
March 15, 2015, 07:19:13 AM
Last edit: March 15, 2015, 10:06:30 AM by bitpump

Bitcoin Venture Capital now 21% of Bitcoin Market Cap..
Vent Cap: $836 mio & Market Cap: $3,950 mio

It will be only a matter of time before Bitcoin price will increase and rebalance this ratio Smiley !

Also, the first quarter of 2015 is already biggest venture capital investment quarter yet!

https://twitter.com/bitpump/status/576850026221191168
https://twitter.com/bitpump/status/576847479162998785

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"Bitcoin: mining our own business since 2009" -- Pieter Wuille
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
LiteCoinGuy
Legendary

Activity: 1148
Merit: 1010

In Satoshi I Trust

View Profile WWW
March 15, 2015, 08:26:09 AM

i knew that but nice charts, thanks for that.  Smiley

TrailingComet

Activity: 462
Merit: 250

View Profile
March 15, 2015, 08:37:32 AM

Thanks for creating the charts
Yes, in time you would expect the market cap to be orders of mag higher than the VC funding raised

bitpump (OP)

Activity: 167
Merit: 101

View Profile
March 15, 2015, 10:07:56 AM

Thanks for creating the charts
Yes, in time you would expect the market cap to be orders of mag higher than the VC funding raised

Fully agree, and with the upcoming reward halving in summer 2016, I would expect a big pump in Sep - Dec this year !

Reward halving expected: 2016-07-29  Source: http://bitcoinclock.com/
Lauda
Legendary

Activity: 2674
Merit: 2965

Terminated.

View Profile WWW
March 15, 2015, 10:46:02 AM

Fully agree, and with the upcoming reward halving in summer 2016, I would expect a big pump in Sep - Dec this year !

Well it sure is coming sooner than expected. Last time I checked that, the halving was set for August.
OP, indeed the price has to follow up at some point. I knew that the investments were on the rise, but didn't imagine such numbers. I wonder what the total for 2015 will be.
It seems like a lot of big names are joining the party.

"The Times 03/Jan/2009 Chancellor on brink of second bailout for banks"
😼 Bitcoin Core (onion)
NUFCrichard
Legendary

Activity: 1218
Merit: 1003

View Profile
March 15, 2015, 11:09:55 AM

I had been thinking about that recently, with the increase in investment into a relatively small environment, it is making a mockery of the total value of all bitcoins.

It's good to see all of the numbers in chart form, the DAX trades at about 20-1 PE ratio, so that would be over 16billion or about $1200 per coin if it were the same in bitcoin, I don't think it works like that in reality, but it gives a clue to what the price could and should be.
Denker
Legendary

Activity: 1442
Merit: 1014

View Profile
March 15, 2015, 11:28:51 AM

Well it sure is coming sooner than expected. Last time I checked that, the halving was set for August.
OP, indeed the price has to follow up at some point. I knew that the investments were on the rise, but didn't imagine such numbers. I wonder what the total for 2015 will be.

I believe this year we might see $1 billion of VC injected into Bitcoin's ecosystem.
Jamie_Boulder

Activity: 378

View Profile WWW
March 15, 2015, 12:38:20 PM

It always makes me laugh how every single bit of news that's good for bitcoin is somehow transformed into "this means the price will go up!" banter

chennan
Legendary

Activity: 1316
Merit: 1004

View Profile
March 15, 2015, 12:41:22 PM

I believe this year we might see $1 billion of VC injected into Bitcoin's ecosystem.
Many killer apps are on the way! No just the gamble, exchange website, derivatives market etc! Such as side chain, colored coin, smart contracts!

futureofbitcoin

Activity: 322

View Profile
March 15, 2015, 12:42:41 PM

I think we need to realize that the VC investments are in crypto companies, not bitcoin. If another coin takes over, it shouldn't be hard for these companies to pivot. Particularly if governments decide to push out their own coin and harshly regulate bitcoin. I think this (among 100000 other reasons) is why most "real" VCs don't invest directly in bitcoin the coin.

By real, I mean reputable ones like Fred Wilson.
Lauda
Legendary

Activity: 2674
Merit: 2965

Terminated.

View Profile WWW
March 15, 2015, 12:50:11 PM

I think we need to realize that the VC investments are in crypto companies, not bitcoin. If another coin takes over, it shouldn't be hard for these companies to pivot. Particularly if governments decide to push out their own coin and harshly regulate bitcoin. I think this (among 100000 other reasons) is why most "real" VCs don't invest directly in bitcoin the coin.

Yeah because investing $836m into unsafe coins is a wise decision. These investments are for the sake of Bitcoin. Altcoins are just a disturbance (only a handful are worth a second look), but there is a smaller market out there for them too.
Since you're pretty much convinced, could you please tell me when was the last time you could buy an altcoin at over 7,000 ATMs (i.e. this is just one example, adoption is much bigger: http://www.coindesk.com/coinplug-enables-bitcoin-buying-at-over-7000-regular-atms/) ?

"The Times 03/Jan/2009 Chancellor on brink of second bailout for banks"
😼 Bitcoin Core (onion)
QuestionAuthority
Legendary

Activity: 2156
Merit: 1393

You lead and I'll watch you walk away.

View Profile
March 15, 2015, 01:02:21 PM

It always makes me laugh how every single bit of news that's good for bitcoin is somehow transformed into "this means the price will go up!" banter

It's wishful thinking mostly. People see an impressive company selling a cool Bitcoin app they think, wow the price is going up. When I see it I think, wow that company is smart, they're going to sell a lot of apps.

futureofbitcoin

Activity: 322

View Profile
March 15, 2015, 01:08:48 PM

Yeah because investing $836m into unsafe coins is a wise decision. These investments are for the sake of Bitcoin. Altcoins are just a disturbance (only a handful are worth a second look), but there is a smaller market out there for them too.
Since you're pretty much convinced, could you please tell me when was the last time you could buy an altcoin at over 7,000 ATMs (i.e. this is just one example, adoption is much bigger: http://www.coindesk.com/coinplug-enables-bitcoin-buying-at-over-7000-regular-atms/) ?
Can you tell me what I'm convinced of? Because I don't know. What I do know is, I hope bitcoin succeeds rather than another coin, because as a selfish human being, I hope I made the right choice so I can profit myself.

This is why I think pointing out potential pitfalls in being too bullish is important. I think we should be a little paranoid, even too paranoid to make sure that the one that succeeds absolutely is bitcoin. If, for example, I was able to increase bitcoin's success rate by 0.00001% by talking about possible points of failure, then that's something.

I am not at all ashamed to say that I am in this for potential profit rather than political or ideological belief of a decentralized monetary system. I strongly believe in bitcoin's technology and think that it will succeed, though I don't particularly value decentralization myself. It's like how no matter how much money I have, I will never buy a Louis Vuitton bag, though I can understand that many other people value it. Because of this, I feel that I can offer a different voice, different from the strong ideological/political believers, but also different from the troll-bears. I suspect that most people in the world don't care for decentralization or killing fiat. But sometimes, because of the demographics of this forum, we are led to believe that decentralization, anonymity etc, are so important that people will run to bitcoin once they realize its usefulness. I don't think that will happen.
Guido
Legendary

Activity: 1061
Merit: 1001

View Profile
March 15, 2015, 01:19:00 PM

yes, past year, more and more money been flowing into btc startups and funding
nice to see it in graphs, thanks

I am very bullish on bitcoin right now, always have been, and selected alts will do very well also on the big climb up.
there are hundreds of different fiat currencies in world, far less than from years back, but still is a massive problem with dollar and euro having such a large slice of action

one thing that won't happen is 'just bitcoin'. for the same reason there isn't just the dollar. people don't ever want that, there has to be choice. bitcoin will dominate for foreseeable future but if people think other alts will just go to dust they are mistaken.
i have bitcoin and selected alts that are well run with good communities, great developers
admittedly there are hundreds of crud alts too that I don't touch

I am Bonkers BTW
Crypto OG
        +
Digital Artist
Denker
Legendary

Activity: 1442
Merit: 1014

View Profile
March 15, 2015, 01:21:13 PM

I believe you're right man.
By the way it's worth to watch this the following 6 minutes.Just to back you up. --> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9npQ5f74Nr4#t=23m20s
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: