Bitcoin Forum
May 10, 2024, 09:06:41 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 [3] 4 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: 'Green Cars'  (Read 4609 times)

Activity: 756
Merit: 500

View Profile
August 16, 2012, 02:37:42 AM

all middle class should have home solar power

Donations: 1JVhKjUKSjBd7fPXQJsBs5P3Yphk38AqPr - TIPS
the hacks, the hacks, secure your bits!

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
The grue lurks in the darkest places of the earth. Its favorite diet is adventurers, but its insatiable appetite is tempered by its fear of light. No grue has ever been seen by the light of day, and few have survived its fearsome jaws to tell the tale.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
benjamindees
Legendary

Activity: 1330
Merit: 1000

View Profile
August 16, 2012, 07:05:26 AM

Solar power is good for running air conditioning in the middle of the day.  Electric cars charge at night.

Civil Liberty Through Complex Mathematics

View Profile
August 16, 2012, 07:27:55 AM

Solar power is good for running air conditioning in the middle of the day.  Electric cars charge at night.

Solar Panel->Battery

dree12
Legendary

Activity: 1246
Merit: 1077

View Profile
August 16, 2012, 05:11:54 PM

Solar Panel->Battery
Cars are an excellent place to put solar panels on, especially foldable ones that can be put on the windows. This keeps it from becoming superheated and generates electricity at the same time. It's killing two birds with one stone.

Some types of renewable energy are not suited for cars, however:
  • Wind Power: Unless it's a really windy day and the car is nearly stopped, this will waste more energy than it will generate.
  • Geothermal Power: Quite obvious, hopefully.
  • Hydro Power: Hopefully still obvious.
myrkul

Activity: 532

FIAT LIBERTAS RVAT CAELVM

View Profile WWW
August 16, 2012, 05:17:03 PM

Solar Panel->Battery
Cars are an excellent place to put solar panels on, especially foldable ones that can be put on the windows. This keeps it from becoming superheated and generates electricity at the same time. It's killing two birds with one stone.

Some types of renewable energy are not suited for cars, however:
  • Wind Power: Unless it's a really windy day and the car is nearly stopped, this will waste more energy than it will generate.
  • Geothermal Power: Quite obvious, hopefully.
  • Hydro Power: Hopefully still obvious.

Cars can certainly be powered by those generation methods, they just need to be used at the power station, rather than on the vehicle.

Battery technology needs to improve a good bit before electric cars are really suited for the masses.

BTC1MYRkuLv4XPBa6bGnYAronz55grPAGcxja
Need Dispute resolution? Public Key ID: 0x11D341CF
No person has the right to initiate force, threat of force, or fraud against another person or their property. VIM VI REPELLERE LICET
FirstAscent

Activity: 812

View Profile
August 16, 2012, 05:35:55 PM

Compressed hydrogen is an excellent method for energy storage. Hydrogen fuel cells convert the hydrogen to electricity and produce water vapor as the exhaust.
dree12
Legendary

Activity: 1246
Merit: 1077

View Profile
August 16, 2012, 05:42:36 PM

Compressed hydrogen is an excellent method for energy storage. Hydrogen fuel cells convert the hydrogen to electricity and produce water vapor as the exhaust.
Energy storage is important, but what about the other parts of energy? I think energy production and energy conservation are too often ignored.
FirstAscent

View Profile
August 16, 2012, 05:50:03 PM

Energy storage is important, but what about the other parts of energy? I think energy production and energy conservation are too often ignored.

I'm not ignoring energy production. It should have the following qualities:

- Renewable
- Environmentally friendly

Most have some tradeoffs and environmental issues. Even wind farms.

Energy storage should be dense, and allow recharging quickly. Hydrogen meets those requirements to some degree. See the Honda FCX Clarity ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Honda_FCX_Clarity ), which does pretty well. Improvements will continue.
FirstAscent

View Profile
August 16, 2012, 05:55:25 PM

I'm working on wind to hydrogen atm, it means a generator can be put up anywhere with out having to run cables to it plus it's useful for both motor and domestic power. Could do the same with solar but we get f' all sun here :/

I'm not a huge fan of wind. It seems the geographic footprint is high.

To me, the best reduction in geographic footprint and land friendly energy production would be some combination of an offshore wind farm combined with tidal and wave power (which are fish friendly) combined with floating solar panels for the production of converting sea water to hydrogen.
Grouver (BtcBalance)

Activity: 530

View Profile WWW
August 17, 2012, 09:21:07 AM

- Renewable

Energy storage should be dense, and allow recharging quickly. Hydrogen meets those requirements to some degree. See the Honda FCX Clarity ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Honda_FCX_Clarity ), which does pretty well. Improvements will continue.
Like said: Check: http://torrentz.eu/20a8bef3a8426c741f39d4a553a5792abf2c5e6a
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1503769/

View Profile
August 17, 2012, 09:35:50 AM

- Renewable

Like said: Check: http://torrentz.eu/20a8bef3a8426c741f39d4a553a5792abf2c5e6a
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1503769/

what's the point of watching

Grouver (BtcBalance)

Activity: 530

View Profile WWW
August 17, 2012, 10:55:34 AM
Last edit: August 17, 2012, 11:14:00 AM by Grouver (BtcBalance)

What's the point of posting this?
The point of watching is that it's a nice docu and will inform you about some things regarding energy.

myrkul

View Profile WWW
August 17, 2012, 11:04:21 AM

The point of watching is that it's a nice docu and will inform you about some things regarding energy.

Looked to me like an econ documentary, but the two are so closely intertwined, I won't contest that statement.

No person has the right to initiate force, threat of force, or fraud against another person or their property. VIM VI REPELLERE LICET
Timo Y
Legendary

Activity: 938
Merit: 1001

bitcoin - the aerogel of money

View Profile
August 17, 2012, 02:33:51 PM
Last edit: August 17, 2012, 03:31:43 PM by Timo Y

One of my biggest criticisms of mainstream environmentalism is that it often gets its priorities wrong because it fails to see the bigger picture.  

When it comes to automobiles, there far is too much attention going to the vehicle and not enough attention to the transport system as a whole.

The automobile is just one cog in the industrial complex that is the modern transport system.  This system consist not just of automobiles, but highway systems, refineries, gas stations, parking spaces, etc. but most importantly, the cities that are designed to accommodate cars.  

After 100 years and trillions of dollars spent on R+D, modern automobiles are already highly optimized, and are fast approaching fundamental limits.  It is practically impossible to achieve a 10-fold efficiency improvement on a Volkswagen Polo BlueMotion or a Prius, at least not without paying a high penalty in price, complexity, comfort, useability and safety.

Therefore, the focus should not be on building greener cars but on using them smarter.  In my opinion, the lowest hanging fruit is city planning. A 10-fold decrease in energy consumption can be achieved by designing greener cities, and it doesn't require complex technology and resource depletion, just time and willpower.  Hong Kong is a good proof of concept; it's no secret why it spends an order of magnitude less energy per capita on transport than North American cities.

Unfortunately unlike car companies, cities are run by politicians, who have little stake in investing in long term improvements, but the problem will solve itself once the oil price hits $300. High energy cities will then start to become uncompetitive and lose population to low energy cities.

Here is a sobering "bigger picture" analysis of green cars:

http://www.withouthotair.com/download.html

PS. I ride a bike around town not because I'm a green hipster but because it's convenient and economical.

GPG ID: FA868D77   bitcoin-otc:forever-d
FirstAscent

View Profile
August 17, 2012, 03:27:27 PM

It is practically impossible to achieve a 10-fold efficiency improvement on a Volkswagen Polo BlueMotion or a Prius, at least not without paying a high penalty in price, complexity, comfort, useability and safety.

Volkswagen has nearly done it. No doubt there is room for improvement even on that model.

View Profile
August 18, 2012, 06:36:45 AM

and i'll forget most of them like after watching it for the first or second time

View Profile
August 18, 2012, 07:15:22 AM

It is practically impossible to achieve a 10-fold efficiency improvement on a Volkswagen Polo BlueMotion or a Prius, at least not without paying a high penalty in price, complexity, comfort, useability and safety.

Volkswagen has nearly done it. No doubt there is room for improvement even on that model.

why isn't that car available in America

FirstAscent

View Profile
August 18, 2012, 04:02:29 PM

why isn't that car available in America

The XL1 is going to go into production, but in a limited number. The sad thing is, if it went into mass production, I believe the production costs could come down. As for America, well:

- I always see posts (typically from Americans) stating the car is ugly. Idiots. People believe a car is ugly if it does not conform to what people expect a car to look like, which is defined by current trends.

- There's a big machine out there collectively called "automobile fashion and sexiness and the marketing of" which goes a long way to influence the way people think. Sad.
myrkul

View Profile WWW
August 18, 2012, 04:23:16 PM

- I always see posts (typically from Americans) stating the car is ugly. Idiots. People believe a car is ugly if it does not conform to what people expect a car to look like, which is defined by current trends.

I'm an American, and that car is smexy. Looks future-cool, not ugly. I did a google search expecting some smart-car looking abortion of a vehicle, and when this beauty popped up:

I was happily surprised. Unless we're looking at different vehicles?

FirstAscent

View Profile
August 18, 2012, 04:46:44 PM

I'm an American, and that car is smexy. Looks future-cool, not ugly. I did a google search expecting some smart-car looking abortion of a vehicle, and when this beauty popped up:

I was happily surprised. Unless we're looking at different vehicles?

That's the car. I like it. But I've seen a lot of negative comments about its looks. Which is too bad, because we need to evolve to point where form follows function.
Pages: « 1 2 [3] 4 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: