Bitcoin Forum
May 26, 2024, 01:48:21 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: HOW DID YOU FIND OUT ABOUT BTC  (Read 2741 times)
btcpoker

Activity: 6
Merit: 0

View Profile
August 12, 2012, 02:40:26 AM

I heard from a friend about btc 3 years ago, I laughed when it was 0.17 USD / BTC.... guess he's the one laughing now as he mined all the way till now lol.
tigar

Activity: 10

View Profile
August 12, 2012, 03:21:14 AM

I heard from a friend about btc 3 years ago, I laughed when it was 0.17 USD / BTC.... guess he's the one laughing now as he mined all the way till now lol.

I wish i knew about it back then :/
Lethos

Activity: 476
Merit: 250

Keep it Simple. Every Bit Matters.

View Profile WWW
August 12, 2012, 09:43:01 AM

How much have you guys invested in btc?

In the region of 1000 pounds so far. That went mostly on the FPGA's.
Working out to be a good investment.

rta

Activity: 18

View Profile
August 12, 2012, 12:07:28 PM

I first heard about bitcoins from a fellow computer programmer at work. In addition to sharing an interest for economic development, we are both a bit worried about the current state of civil liberties. After I decided that bitcoins could really help improve both of these, it was an easy decision to climb on-board.  Smiley
_Sheriff_

Activity: 8

View Profile
August 12, 2012, 01:12:48 PM

from internet ;-)
btrash

Activity: 25

View Profile
August 12, 2012, 01:21:05 PM

Sadly i missed all the action of the initial bitcoin craze , only managed to find out when i was looking into paypal alternatives last month :|
Scott J
Legendary

Activity: 1792
Merit: 1000

View Profile
August 12, 2012, 01:28:38 PM

I came up with this really cool idea - it was to be the world's first decentralised currency, out of reach of governments. I decided to call it Bitcoin.

However, when I went to register the domain some guy called Satoshi had beaten me to it  Angry
Cosmos

Activity: 113
Merit: 10

View Profile
August 12, 2012, 06:43:55 PM

Purchased my first coins last November when they were about 2 USD/BTC.  I found out about it from my interest in philosophy and economic issues.  Always been interested in computing, and found Bitcoins a very exciting concept.  Mined a little bit, and purchased a jalapeno with my profits from the rally!  Will enjoy seeing where this wild ride goes.

Donation BTC: 1Pno5cingvmmC8CtpHgNJcoLqfyzSz6kEy
tiaguitah

Activity: 111

View Profile
August 12, 2012, 06:45:44 PM

Purchased my first coins last November when they were about 2 USD/BTC.  I found out about it from my interest in philosophy and economic issues.  Always been interested in computing, and found Bitcoins a very exciting concept.  Mined a little bit, and purchased a jalapeno with my profits from the rally!  Will enjoy seeing where this wild ride goes.

I have bought around 200 btc / 6$ each. Been making some investments since.

Cosmos

Activity: 113

View Profile
August 12, 2012, 07:16:26 PM

Nice tia!  Wish I would have got more if I had more fiat XD.  You thinking about getting the jalapeno or any of the new BFL ASIC rigs?

Donation BTC: 1Pno5cingvmmC8CtpHgNJcoLqfyzSz6kEy
molecular
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 2772
Merit: 1019

View Profile
August 12, 2012, 07:47:11 PM

Tell us the story about how you found out about bitcoins and what got you interested in it.

May 2010: I think it was through slashdot. I didn't read satoshis paper, merely installed the client and left it churn on my desktop not knowing where to get any bitcoins and frankly not caring much either, wondering why no bitcoins were being generated.

2 days later I need the laptop for something unrelated, see the client still at "BTC 0.00". Other things on my mind, I exit the client, thinking something like "well, this is obviously broken, there should be at least 0.01 BTC or something. Screw that, maybe I'll try again later, this laptop is kinda warm, let's turn this bitcoin client off for now". What a sad day!

Only in January 2011, when again through slashdot, I see "bitcoin" for the second time, only this time, I install no client, but read the paper instead. 15 minutes later I'm all energized, praising satoshis genius, babbling on to my perplexed girlfriend about distributed proof-of-work-based timekeeping, the blockchain and whatnot, trying to explain that this could shake the world for good! I mine my first bitcents using 2 crappy onboard nvidia cards, put old dollar bills I had left over from vacations into an evelope and send it to canada... 2 weeks later I got my 5970 miner all set up and all my friends think I've gone crazy for good this time.

PGP key molecular F9B70769 fingerprint 9CDD C0D3 20F8 279F 6BE0  3F39 FC49 2362 F9B7 0769
averybigant

Activity: 11

View Profile
August 17, 2012, 11:00:52 AM

from a guy's blog.
havelock

Activity: 328

View Profile WWW
August 17, 2012, 06:51:48 PM

A friend was into it and told me about it.

Korbman
Legendary

Activity: 1064
Merit: 1001

View Profile
August 17, 2012, 07:29:51 PM

I actually knew about bitcoins a bit before the bubble began. I was taking a computer security class during my senior year in college and we got on the topic during the spring. Fascinated, I jumped on the bandwagon, began researching, and was super stoked when my POS graphics card was able to do 80MH/s.

Then I was introduced to the Mt. Gox exchange, where I found I could turn the simple coins I mined into cash! With the money I made, I bought a better graphics card in early June 2011.

Though I'm quite interested in the technology behind it, I suppose the prospect of making money is what drove me deeper and deeper into bitcoin. I imagine it sort of as the California '69 Gold Rush...a new area we were all just getting acquainted with that could make everyone money with the right hardware.

After the crash, I fell off the bitcoin map for a few months before I started mining again in December '11. And 'poof', here I am today!

morkai421

Activity: 18

View Profile
August 17, 2012, 08:20:39 PM

On 4chan
Mr. Coinman

Activity: 277

View Profile
August 17, 2012, 09:23:20 PM

When the Anonymous DDoS Mastercard Attack made headlines, someone mentioned Bitcoin as a safe way to donate to Wikileaks. I've been hooked ever since.

Domrada

Activity: 254

View Profile WWW
August 17, 2012, 09:30:52 PM

I first heard about Bitcoin in April 2011 from a crazy guy I used to play WoW with. He emailed me and said, "Is this real? If so, we need to start making free money." I googled it and read as far as, "money that is stored on your hard drive." I promptly replied saying, "this is a scam, don't waste your time."  He said, "thought so."

Then two months later someone I trust called me very excited about Bitcoin. He explained that it wasn't a scam and that the double-spend problem had been solved. I've been Bitcoining ever since. New to the forum, though. Cheers.

DataTrading
TRADE FORECASTING BY ARTIFICIAL INTELLIGENCE
¦
PRE-SALE SPECIAL  30%  BONUS   
Pre sale starts on 11.20.2017 9:00 UTC
jnx

Activity: 2

View Profile
August 17, 2012, 10:33:14 PM

i found out because i saw someone on craigslist selling video cards saying he used them for mining bitcoins.  i guess being out of internet forums really keeps you out of the loop.  might've been cool to get in early and set up farms!  this stuff gets me hard.
MaryPoppins

Activity: 2

View Profile
August 18, 2012, 12:53:53 AM

My significant other found out about Bitcoin last year before dollar parity. We decided to dabble in it when it reached about $2.30, cheered and cried over the $30 bubble, then decided to invest in FPGA's earlier this year and started mining. It's worked out quite well for us thus far.
Jermaine Deslandes

Activity: 4

View Profile
August 18, 2012, 01:55:06 AM

My exs mom rambled on and on about it after one long night...
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: