Bitcoin Forum
June 08, 2024, 07:54:31 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Need 1 BTC urgently, paying back 2 BTC in day [EDIT: need 0.5]  (Read 2281 times)
Willowbitcoin

Activity: 114
Merit: 12

View Profile
August 08, 2012, 10:24:48 PM

If i get burned for .5 btc then its money well spent for the community outing a scammer at a very low cost.

And come on... its .5 btc.

He did offer a scan of his passport etc but i didn't bother taking it due to the very small loan amount.
John (John K.)
Global Troll-buster and
Legendary

Activity: 1288
Merit: 1227

Away on an extended break

View Profile
August 09, 2012, 02:59:02 AM

If i get burned for .5 btc then its money well spent for the community outing a scammer at a very low cost.

He did offer a scan of his passport etc but i didn't bother taking it due to the very small loan amount.

Nah, you're feeding the scammers and causing more scammers to come back and harming the community if you lend with this mentality. Only way to help the community is by practising safe lending procedures like insisting on ID's and/or verifications. Outing a scammer at a very low cost? Heck, making a new account is free.  Angry
Willowbitcoin

View Profile
August 09, 2012, 03:07:08 AM

Nah, you're feeding the scammers and causing more scammers to come back and harming the community if you lend with this mentality. Only way to help the community is by practising safe lending procedures like insisting on ID's and/or verifications. Outing a scammer at a very low cost? Heck, making a new account is free.  Angry

Time is not free but i understand your point and will be sure to follow that protocol in future if i find myself in a similar situation again.

Thanks.

John (John K.)
Global Troll-buster and
Legendary

View Profile
August 09, 2012, 03:32:03 AM

Time is not free but i understand your point and will be sure to follow that protocol in future if i find myself in a similar situation again.

Thanks.

For some kids, time is almost free. You'll be amazed to see the extent the scammers are willing to go through just to scam $5.
n8rwJeTt8TrrLKPa55eU

Activity: 588
Merit: 500

View Profile
August 09, 2012, 03:44:40 AM
Last edit: August 09, 2012, 03:54:44 AM by n8rwJeTt8TrrLKPa55eU

It's amazing how certain scams that would never make sense in any other context, somehow become effective when associated with Bitcoins.  I mean, seriously, requesting $5 from strangers over the Internet, how can it not be a scam?  Who would do that in real life, as opposed to just asking friends/family/coworkers for a spot loan?

The excitement most of us have for the Bitcoin idea, somehow bleeds over into unwarranted trust...probably a similar primitive emotional dynamic as when guys suspend all critical thinking in the presence of a pretty girl.
John (John K.)
Global Troll-buster and
Legendary

View Profile
August 09, 2012, 03:53:25 AM

It's amazing how certain scams that would never make sense in any other context, somehow become effective when associated with Bitcoins.  I mean, seriously, requesting $5 from strangers over the Internet, how can it not be a scam?  Who would do that in real life, as opposed to just asking friends/family/coworkers for a spot loan?  Or putting one's life savings into a brokerage run by a 17-year-old, or giving them to an anonymous stranger who promises fabulous returns with no disclosure?  I think the excitement most of us have for the Bitcoin idea, somehow bleeds over into unwarranted trust...I guess it's probably a similar primitive emotional dynamic to guys suspending critical thinking when in the presence of a pretty girl, or females in the presence of a baby.
Well, this is the Internet after all.  Wink
Mousepotato

Activity: 896
Merit: 1000

Seal Cub Clubbing Club

View Profile
August 09, 2012, 04:01:24 AM

It's not gone anywhere yet
I think he meant that whenever you get your "loan", you'll be gone for good.

Mousepotato
John (John K.)
Global Troll-buster and
Legendary

View Profile
August 09, 2012, 04:25:50 AM

It's not gone anywhere yet
I think he meant that whenever you get your "loan", you'll be gone for good.
Which I think has come true now.
556j

Activity: 252
Merit: 250

View Profile
August 09, 2012, 10:03:10 AM

It's amazing how certain scams that would never make sense in any other context, somehow become effective when associated with Bitcoins.  I mean, seriously, requesting $5 from strangers over the Internet, how can it not be a scam?  Who would do that in real life, as opposed to just asking friends/family/coworkers for a spot loan?

Uhh there's a big difference here that you're missing.

He wanted to make a purchase, most likely off silk road. It was Wednesday night. If he ordered from domestic vendor it's likely it would arrive in time for the weekend. If he had borrowed 5$ from a friend, the banks would have to be open. Then he'd have to go deposit into bitinstant (do they accept amounts that low?) then get the coin, wouldn't happen until Thursday 10-11am. Then place order, might not get shipped til Friday, won't arrive until next week.

Not saying anything of his creditworthiness here, but the idea itself does have merit.
fabrizziop

Activity: 506
Merit: 500

View Profile
August 09, 2012, 12:49:49 PM

Thanks.

For some kids, time is almost free. You'll be amazed to see the extent the scammers are willing to go through just to scam $5.

I agree with this. By being myself a 15-year-old, and knowing other 15-year-old people, I can safely say that their time is worthless for them. I've seen them filling surveys to earn stupid in-game items, or to earn a few bucks. Even they try to use those sites that make you watch ads and give you cents.
Willowbitcoin

View Profile
August 10, 2012, 05:43:57 AM

You guys were right.
Lesson learnt.

No contact.

How do we add a scammer tag on him ?
John (John K.)
Global Troll-buster and
Legendary

View Profile
August 10, 2012, 05:48:01 AM

You guys were right.
Lesson learnt.

No contact.

How do we add a scammer tag on him ?
Thanks, now I have another fresh blood in my list.  Undecided First, report him at the Scammer Accusations subforums.
AndrewBUD

Activity: 1078
Merit: 502

View Profile WWW
August 10, 2012, 09:14:57 PM

Uhh there's a big difference here that you're missing.

He wanted to make a purchase, most likely off silk road. It was Wednesday night. If he ordered from domestic vendor it's likely it would arrive in time for the weekend. If he had borrowed 5$ from a friend, the banks would have to be open. Then he'd have to go deposit into bitinstant (do they accept amounts that low?) then get the coin, wouldn't happen until Thursday 10-11am. Then place order, might not get shipped til Friday, won't arrive until next week.

Not saying anything of his creditworthiness here, but the idea itself does have merit.

When buying stuff on silkroad, if you're .5 btc short on a decent sized order *most* vendors will give you a gift code for the amount so you can place your order.

▄▄▄███████▄▄▄
▄▄█████▀▀''`▀▀█████▄▄
▄███P'            `YY██▄
▄██P'                  `Y██▄
███'                      `███
███'                         ███
▄██'   ▄█████▄▄  ,▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄p   ███
▄██▀  ,████▀P▀███.`██████████P   ▀██▄
███[ ,████ __. ███.   ,▄████▀    ███
███[ ]████████████[  ▄████▀       ███
███[ `████   ,oo2 ▄████▀'       ,███
▀██▄  `████▄▄█████d███████████   ▄██▀