Bitcoin Forum
May 03, 2024, 01:15:54 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Australian Govt to sell 24,500 BTC  (Read 1923 times)
Room101 (OP)

Activity: 541
Merit: 362

Rules not Rulers

View Profile
March 16, 2015, 08:10:19 AM

http://www.theage.com.au/technology/technology-news/victorian-government-to-sell-93-million-in-seized-bitcoins-20150316-1lzyg2.html

Bitcoin is the greatest form of protest there is. Vote in the only way that really counts: with your money.
Remember that Bitcoin is still beta software. Don't put all of your money into BTC!
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Q7

Activity: 448
Merit: 250

View Profile WWW
March 16, 2015, 08:38:43 AM

What? And I thought there were auctions by the US marshals and so didn't have the slightest idea about this one. Any idea when is this going to happen? I mean based on the price quoted on the article, if the bitcoins get sold above the market price, then there shouldn't be anything to worry about. The only concern is when it is sold below market price.

innocent93
Legendary

Activity: 896
Merit: 1000

View Profile
March 16, 2015, 08:47:58 AM

The article said Victorian government will sell these bitcoins on the open market in coming months instead of auction sale, I'm afraid that if the Bitcoins were dumped into Market, how the market will react to this, drop sharply?
Vhawk23

Activity: 153
Merit: 101

View Profile
March 16, 2015, 09:19:49 AM

that's a lot of BTC... I hope i had thoose BTC Grin
i'll do investment though Grin
Mobius

Activity: 988

View Profile
March 16, 2015, 09:28:14 AM

I'm not too concerned. The bearwhale sold 30,000 rather quickly. Just see it as an opportunity.
NUFCrichard
Legendary

Activity: 1218
Merit: 1003

View Profile
March 16, 2015, 09:35:58 AM

I wasn't aware that any other governments had seized Bitcoins, I wonder how many others have too!
They pick their times to sell very badly, they got them late in 2013, but waited until now to sell, losing 70% of thie value in the meantime.

They also announce well in advance that they will sell, it's like when Gordon Brown sold the UKs gold at a record low price having told the market beforehand.. stupid
micky123
Legendary

Activity: 1022
Merit: 1005

View Profile
March 16, 2015, 09:39:54 AM

Interesting,

I had no idea that there were a bunch of Bitcoins seized by the Australian government too. Who knows how many other Bitcoins have been seized by other governments? Imo, property seized in this manner should be destroyed, similar to illegal alcohol, pirated DVDs or Drugs. When the governments destroy something they have deemed to be illegal they are doing the right thing.

Otoh, if they are selling the property to fund their own selfish desires, then they should not even talk of banning bitcoin ever, especially since they are profiting off of it. If they do destroy them, the value of Bitcoin should ideally go higher because of the vaccuum left by the 25K BTC (or indeed more if the US govt destroys them too). By not destroying BTC, governments are lending credibility to Bitcoin by branding it a CURRENCY and any attempt to ban Bitcoin in future will meet with huge resistance. I suppose we should be happy with governments selling BTC.  Grin

futureofbitcoin

Activity: 322

View Profile
March 16, 2015, 09:40:53 AM

I wasn't aware that any other governments had seized Bitcoins, I wonder how many others have too!
They pick their times to sell very badly, they got them late in 2013, but waited until now to sell, losing 70% of thie value in the meantime.

They also announce well in advance that they will sell, it's like when Gordon Brown sold the UKs gold at a record low price having told the market beforehand.. stupid
They're not the ones that are stupid. The ones who don't understand are.

Seriously, do you think another 10M or so matters to the government? They can just print that amount without much fuss. It's a PR game. If they sold it in secret or whatever, there would be people saying the government is manipulating the market or whatever.

Besides, I'm sure there are laws preventing the government from doing stealth transactions like that.
randy8777
Legendary

Activity: 896

View Profile
March 16, 2015, 09:47:38 AM

i guess they will follow the exact method of the us marshals to get rid of these coins.
they too want the most out of these coins. can't see them auctioning it for less than the market price.
Ayle56

Activity: 185
Merit: 100

View Profile
March 16, 2015, 10:15:51 AM

i guess they will follow the exact method of the us marshals to get rid of these coins.
they too want the most out of these coins. can't see them auctioning it for less than the market price.

Here's an article about it from the Sydney Morning Herald. It says they an adviser is recommending selling most on the market and auctioning a small amount US style, but nothing has been decided yet.

They got the coins from a Silk Road drugs dealer.

http://www.smh.com.au/technology/technology-news/victorian-government-to-sell-93-million-in-seized-bitcoins-20150316-1lzyg2.html
medUSA
Legendary

Activity: 952
Merit: 1003

--Signature Designs-- http://bit.ly/1Pjbx77

View Profile WWW
March 16, 2015, 10:45:42 AM

They are not selling the coins in exchanges. "Market" means anyone who wants to buy. Now that the word is out, bidders from the US Marshall coins will swamp at these coins. There is a demand for large sums of bitcoin such as this. If I am the government, I would hold them for another year at least.
HarmonLi

Activity: 350

Honest 80s business!

View Profile
March 16, 2015, 11:10:19 AM

Well it's 'only' 1 week of mining block rewards that's being sold. So it's not like it's something completely insanely high all of a sudden. I really wonder what happens if governments get access to even bigger stashes at some point!

gentlemand
Legendary

Activity: 2590
Merit: 3013

Welt Am Draht

View Profile
March 16, 2015, 12:26:26 PM

The article said Victorian government will sell these bitcoins on the open market in coming months instead of auction sale, I'm afraid that if the Bitcoins were dumped into Market, how the market will react to this, drop sharply?

A government body accountable to others is hardly likely to send their property to some sketchy exchange in a foreign country. That would be like the US government selling off a drug baron's mansion on alibaba and getting a chargeback.
kwukduck
Legendary

Activity: 1937
Merit: 1001

View Profile
March 17, 2015, 04:45:04 AM

Bye bye 300!
50 here we come!

14b8PdeWLqK3yi3PrNHMmCvSmvDEKEBh3E
sgk
Legendary

Activity: 1470
Merit: 1002

!! HODL !!

View Profile
March 17, 2015, 05:23:35 AM

If they're sold on open market, I wonder if it would have any impact on the price on exchanges.
24,500 is a large sum, but then again the BearWhale sold 30,000 BTC without bringing the price down much.

What are the popular exchanges operating in Australia?
We will see sell walls on them if the gov decides to use Australian exchanges with good reputation.
HarmonLi

Activity: 350

Honest 80s business!

View Profile
March 17, 2015, 12:19:50 PM

Alright, more than a day passed and the market didn't really care about this. I bet even the feds could just go ahead and dump the rest of their coins now and Barry or someone would buy them all, at least for spot price. Bullish.

ajareselde
Legendary

Activity: 1722

Satoshi is rolling in his grave. #bitcoin

View Profile
March 17, 2015, 03:30:40 PM

Its interesting that they thought its best for their seized coins to be sold on open market, but actually it isnt, it would be much more profitable to set up an auction
like feds did. It wouldnt tip down the price, and they would get above market price for their coins.
I wonder why they dont simply hold them for few years more, and take 2-3x the money theyre taking now..

cheers
uki
Legendary

Activity: 1358

cryptojunk bag holder

View Profile
March 17, 2015, 04:03:57 PM

Well it's 'only' 1 week of mining block rewards that's being sold. So it's not like it's something completely insanely high all of a sudden. I really wonder what happens if governments get access to even bigger stashes at some point!
Exectly, let's not exaggerate each news about the Bitcoin auction. It is much less coins than the last US Marshalls auction that had no impact at all. Expect the same here. And move on to the next news.

this space is intentionally left blank
freedomno1
Legendary

Activity: 1806
Merit: 1090

Learning the troll avoidance button :)

View Profile
March 17, 2015, 04:05:37 PM

Its interesting that they thought its best for their seized coins to be sold on open market, but actually it isnt, it would be much more profitable to set up an auction
like feds did. It wouldnt tip down the price, and they would get above market price for their coins.
I wonder why they dont simply hold them for few years more, and take 2-3x the money theyre taking now..

cheers

You know governments short term focus vs a long term strategy
They likely want to use this money right away before the next government comes in etc.
Anyways a bit interesting that the Australians always set their auctions after the American one
Since this is the second one or third if I recall correctly.

Believing in Bitcoins and it's ability to change the world
thejaytiesto
Legendary

Activity: 1358
Merit: 1014

View Profile
March 17, 2015, 04:52:42 PM

If these governments knew any idea of what's coming they would buy them for themselves, or at least try to store a part of them.
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: