Bitcoin Forum
May 13, 2024, 12:41:38 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: World's First Bitcoin Lawsuit - Cartmell v. Bitcoinica  (Read 18712 times)
proudhon
Legendary

Activity: 2198
Merit: 1311

View Profile
August 08, 2012, 05:30:21 PM

I knew my odds of getting any of the 150+ bitcoins I had in bitcoinica (just sitting there, not in any position) were always low and ever decreasing, but I'm assuming this lawsuit means that the chances of me getting any of that back have dropped to essentially zero.  That was a lot easier to shrug off when they were trading for $4.something a pop.

Bitcoin Fact: the price of bitcoin will not be greater than $70k for more than 25 consecutive days at any point in the rest of recorded human history.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
ninjarobot

Activity: 761
Merit: 500

Mine Silent, Mine Deep

View Profile
August 08, 2012, 07:03:44 PM

This is what the plaintiffs are asking for:

1) for the return of all monies in the accounts of Plaintiffs;
2) for all other general, special, incidental and consequential damages;
3) for attorney's fees, as alleged int the causes of action above;
4) for exemplary and punitive damages, as alleged int the causes of action above;
5) for prejudgment and post-judgement interest to the full extend permitted by law;
6) for costs of suit incurred by Plaintiffs herein; and
7) for such other and further relief as the Court may deem just and proper

So basically 100% reimbursement + reimbursement of all legal costs + interest + damages + other relief

Since the plaintiffs represent only 4 out of the approx. 5000 Customers. How will this affect the other claimants if they are successful?

We can't win other customers' deposits.  It's our expectation that a receiver will take over and distribute the claims and we'll get our cut of that, and anything we're short will have to come from the people found responsible.

So this lawsuit should not affect the pro-rata reimbursement of depositors? I certainly hope so, as I am really starting to feel like a financial rape victim here.
proudhon
Legendary

Activity: 2198
Merit: 1311

View Profile
August 08, 2012, 08:48:51 PM

4) for exemplary and punitive damages, as alleged int the causes of action above;
5) for prejudgment and post-judgement interest to the full extend permitted by law;

So basically 100% reimbursement + reimbursement of all legal costs + interest + damages + other relief

Since the plaintiffs represent only 4 out of the approx. 5000 Customers. How will this affect the other claimants if they are successful?

Basically, if you're not one of these 4, and you haven't already gotten something back, then you're not going to get anything back, ever.  The good news is that this is closure for everyone else waiting around for their bitcoins/USD.

Bitcoin Fact: the price of bitcoin will not be greater than $70k for more than 25 consecutive days at any point in the rest of recorded human history.
ElectricMucus
Legendary

Activity: 1666
Merit: 1057

Marketing manager - GO MP

View Profile WWW
August 08, 2012, 08:58:43 PM

The OP topic makes this sound like an achievement this one is better.
vampire

Activity: 574

View Profile
August 08, 2012, 09:02:04 PM

July 7th - Amir released the Bitcoinica source code
July 11th - Amir announces Mt.Gox account theft.

Amir announced on 13th, and theft was on 12th?

BTW any proof that it was Amir who released the source code. (Aside from the GIT logs in the .tar?)
nibor

Activity: 438
Merit: 291

View Profile
August 08, 2012, 09:19:54 PM
Last edit: August 08, 2012, 09:41:04 PM by nibor

$460k law suit! Even if that is split evenly 4 ways and you pro-rata to BTC/USD of 5 that is still at least $52k each.

Who would be so stupid to have had that much cash stored in the trust of a company/people they did not know?

This shows an amazing level of lack of due diligence that seems to be normal in the bitcoin world!

edit - added details to keep someone happy who complained for some reason.
Littleshop
Legendary

Activity: 1386
Merit: 1003

View Profile WWW
August 08, 2012, 09:40:44 PM

Basically, if you're not one of these 4, and you haven't already gotten something back, then you're not going to get anything back, ever.  The good news is that this is closure for everyone else waiting around for their bitcoins/USD.

I disagree.  This lawsuit might suck up all of the US assets but if people in other countries file as well they might see something. 

repentance

Activity: 868
Merit: 1000

View Profile
August 08, 2012, 10:00:01 PM

I disagree.  This lawsuit might suck up all of the US assets but if people in other countries file as well they might see something. 

It depends who they file against.  It's likely that a cascade of insolvencies is going to happen in the not too distant future.  Even if those involved have personal assets, not all jurisdictions recognise the claims of overseas creditors in the case of personal insolvency.  The issue of disputed debt also complicates some potential remedies (especially low cost ones).

All I can say is that this is Bitcoin. I don't believe it until I see six confirmations.
ninjarobot

Activity: 761

Mine Silent, Mine Deep

View Profile
August 08, 2012, 11:14:45 PM

From the Summons:

NOTICE! You have been sued. The court may decide against you without your being heard unless you respond within 30 days. Read the information below.

You have 30 CALENDAR DAYS after the summons and legal papers are served on you to file a written response at this court and have a copy served on the plaintiff. A letter or phone call will not protect you.

Is there a chance the Intersango guys might not respond within 30 days? If so, what would happen in this case?
repentance

View Profile
August 08, 2012, 11:24:58 PM

From the Summons:

NOTICE! You have been sued. The court may decide against you without your being heard unless you respond within 30 days. Read the information below.

You have 30 CALENDAR DAYS after the summons and legal papers are served on you to file a written response at this court and have a copy served on the plaintiff. A letter or phone call will not protect you.

Is there a chance the Intersango guys might not respond within 30 days? If so, what would happen in this case?

The plaintiffs would likely seek default judgement.

It depends on whether the defendants take other action, though.  From what I've read, it's absurdly easy for foreign entities to seek bankruptcy protection in the US and such protection goes way beyond what is common in many other nations.

All I can say is that this is Bitcoin. I don't believe it until I see six confirmations.
tgmarks
Donator

Activity: 490

View Profile
August 08, 2012, 11:46:25 PM

From the Summons:

I can't image that they would do nothing.  Like he said, bankruptcy can go a long way, but that is just one of several possible reactions that could occur.

Philj

Activity: 388
Merit: 250

View Profile
August 09, 2012, 12:04:17 AM

From the Summons:

Clearly that notice isn't showing them any fucking respect, so its doubtful they will respond.
teflone

Activity: 770

You're fat, because you dont have any pics on FB

View Profile
August 09, 2012, 12:34:12 AM

From the Summons:

Clearly that notice isn't showing them any fucking respect, so its doubtful they will respond.

lmfao! Cheesy

For Canadians by Canadians: Canada's Bitcoin Community - https://www.coinforum.ca/
MPOE-PR

Activity: 756
Merit: 522

View Profile
August 13, 2012, 12:59:20 AM

We'd hoped that our offer would both push Bitcoinica to resolve the claims faster, and give them more room for error.  If they resolved all the claims within 6 months and paid us an equal pro rata share, they'd have immunity from us.  Coincidentally, the amount of funds stolen only 2 days after this offer was made was nearly 100% of what we were owed at the time.

This would seem to be veering towards criminal. A DA might even prosecute ex officio.

My Credentials  | THE BTC Stock Exchange | I have my very own anthology! | Use bitcointa.lk, it's like this one but better.
P_Shep
Legendary

Activity: 1795
Merit: 1198

This is not OK.

View Profile
August 13, 2012, 05:11:34 PM

Made the BBC:

http://www.bbc.com/news/technology-19244210
dopamine

Activity: 486

View Profile
August 13, 2012, 07:31:05 PM

Just read it and they got at least 50% of there claim, I'm still sitting on a fat 0 on my claim.

Bitcoinica still has not given me 50% of my claim of 600 BTC
INTERSANGO can go down with bitcoinica for abandoning customers
Alberto Armandi is a SCAMMER
repentance

View Profile
August 13, 2012, 07:38:33 PM

It's a pity they picked it up from Arstechnica, which ran a story based on an Verge article which had substantial inaccuracies.

Vod
Legendary

Activity: 3696
Merit: 3074

Licking my boob since 1970

View Profile WWW
August 13, 2012, 07:42:13 PM

I hope the lawsuit will eventually lead to criminal charges against the officers of the corporation.  They did not file a police report, even after the hacker was identified.

https://nastyscam.com - landing page up     https://vod.fan - advanced image hosting - coming soon!
OGNasty has early onset dementia; keep this in mind when discussing his past actions.
makomk

Activity: 686
Merit: 564

View Profile
August 13, 2012, 10:21:02 PM

I hope the lawsuit will eventually lead to criminal charges against the officers of the corporation.  They did not file a police report, even after the hacker was identified.
Zhou Tong isn't even named as a defendant in the lawsuit despite being the only person who claims to know the hacker's identity, and despite claiming to have promised the hacker that Bitcoinica LP would not start a police investigation into him. Also, who are the actual officers of the corporation in the first place? Zhou's certainly acting a lot like one, but...

Quad XC6SLX150 Board: 860 MHash/s or so.
SIGS ABOUT BUTTERFLY LABS ARE PAID ADS
Vod
Legendary

Activity: 3696
Merit: 3074

Licking my boob since 1970

View Profile WWW
August 13, 2012, 11:02:07 PM

I hope the lawsuit will eventually lead to criminal charges against the officers of the corporation.  They did not file a police report, even after the hacker was identified.
Zhou Tong isn't even named as a defendant in the lawsuit despite being the only person who claims to know the hacker's identity, and despite claiming to have promised the hacker that Bitcoinica LP would not start a police investigation into him. Also, who are the actual officers of the corporation in the first place? Zhou's certainly acting a lot like one, but...

I believe the officers of the corporation feel they are untouchable because the corporation is a separate legal entity.  In Canada at least (a commonwealth country), a director of a corporation is REQUIRED to do whatever is necessary to protect the assets of said corporation.  So while they cannot be held financially responsible for Bitcoinica's debts, they can be held criminally (and hence civilly) liable for failing to do anything about the crime that was committed against their public business.  Basically, they did nothing while the money was taken.  I'm sure they paid themselves handsomely, however, out of what was left.

All they had to do was pick up the phone and call the police.  The fact they did not do this leads me to believe they profited from the hack.

https://nastyscam.com - landing page up     https://vod.fan - advanced image hosting - coming soon!
OGNasty has early onset dementia; keep this in mind when discussing his past actions.
Pages: « 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: