Bitcoin Forum
April 27, 2024, 12:20:20 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Mining on a SailBoat?  (Read 1302 times)
hce (OP)

Activity: 6
Merit: 0

View Profile
March 16, 2015, 07:24:36 PM

Hi. I live on a Sailboat. I am wondering if it would be practical for me to try mining? I have a wind generator going to two 12v leisure batteries and free wifi using Alfa Tube 2H. Gets hot in the Summer where I am. I also have access to electricity I would have to pay for at the Marina. I understand I could not hope to use a powerful machine.
      Would like to try and get something small, perhaps 12v, that would not run too hot and would still provide a little income for me in the long term, especially in the winter when it is cold and perhaps no fan required. Or am I dreaming?
Is there some hardware might work for me? I am not technically minded and it would have to be almost for dummies.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Whoever mines the block which ends up containing your transaction will get its fee.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
notlist3d
Legendary

Activity: 1456
Merit: 1000

View Profile
March 16, 2015, 08:16:36 PM

Hi. I live on a Sailboat. I am wondering if it would be practical for me to try mining? I have a wind generator going to two 12v leisure batteries and free wifi using Alfa Tube 2H. Gets hot in the Summer where I am. I also have access to electricity I would have to pay for at the Marina. I understand I could not hope to use a powerful machine.
      Would like to try and get something small, perhaps 12v, that would not run too hot and would still provide a little income for me in the long term, especially in the winter when it is cold and perhaps no fan required. Or am I dreaming?
Is there some hardware might work for me? I am not technically minded and it would have to be almost for dummies.

How many watts do you get out of generator? What are you paying for electricity that is not coming from wind?  That will be a big factor.

I think it is a little bit of a dream to be honest hearing it.  I'm guessing noise and heat will be a issue within your boat.  
hce (OP)

View Profile
March 17, 2015, 06:23:45 AM

How many watts do you get out of generator? What are you paying for electricity that is not coming from wind?  That will be a big factor.

I think it is a little bit of a dream to be honest hearing it.  I'm guessing noise and heat will be a issue within your boat.  

Dont know the watts of the wind generator. Its old and was on the boat when I got it. SHore power would be at normal rates. I would not be so interested in using much shore power for it. Yes noise and heat would be an issue. Not looking good I guess. Can nothing be done using the little free 12v energy I have and the free wifi? Something quiet that over time generates a tiny amount of bitcoin?
notlist3d
Legendary

View Profile
March 17, 2015, 06:34:05 AM

Dont know the watts of the wind generator. Its old and was on the boat when I got it. SHore power would be at normal rates. I would not be so interested in using much shore power for it. Yes noise and heat would be an issue. Not looking good I guess. Can nothing be done using the little free 12v energy I have and the free wifi? Something quiet that over time generates a tiny amount of bitcoin?

Well power rates very GREATLY depending on location.  If "shore power" is higher then 10 cents Kw I would not try to mine.

On wind generator you really need to know how much power it puts out.  This chooses what you can do.   I just know the heat from some miners I cannot imagine putting it in a fiberglass boat and risk damage.  I don't know a ton about sailboats but the friends that I know have them spent a small fortune on them.

I'm going to guess with no air flow, and low power you could do possibly raspberry pi with usb stick miners.  The only thing is they are a novilty at this point and chances are you lose money
Mikestang
Legendary

Activity: 1274

View Profile
March 17, 2015, 04:23:35 PM

Can nothing be done using the little free 12v energy I have and the free wifi?

We need to know the wattage you have available, as has already been stated.  Voltage is nothing more than a measure of electric potential, wattage is a measure of the amount of work electricity can do.

I'll go out on a limb and guess your wind generator produces a couple hundred watts or there abouts, probably enough for a couple light bulbs and small appliance or something.  I bet you could run like a laptop with a few USB stick miners or something very low draw, but you need to know watts available first.  I don't think you'll be running any S5s or anything like that.
RodeoX
Legendary

Activity: 3066
Merit: 1145

The revolution will be monetized!

View Profile
March 17, 2015, 05:21:42 PM

Your in a great position to mine. You just need this:

A wave powered data center. Just drop it in the North Atlantic to keep it cold, anchor it to the transatlantic cable for backbone internet access and start mining.  Cheesy

The gospel according to Satoshi - https://bitcoin.org/bitcoin.pdf
Free bitcoin in ? - Stay tuned for this years Bitcoin hunt!
hce (OP)

View Profile
March 17, 2015, 11:53:30 PM

Thanks. Accordingly I have given up on the idea of mining on a sailboat. Another opportunity has just come up for me and I will start a new topic for that.
notlist3d
Legendary

View Profile
March 18, 2015, 01:13:06 AM

Thanks. Accordingly I have given up on the idea of mining on a sailboat. Another opportunity has just come up for me and I will start a new topic for that.

Your sailboat will thank you.   I tried to help in other idea.  I think you are far better off out of the boat.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: