Bitcoin Forum
May 21, 2024, 07:39:28 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Two weeks until the 14 millionth coin is mined  (Read 1241 times)
keystroke (OP)

Activity: 900
Merit: 1014

advocate of a cryptographic attack on the globe

View Profile
March 17, 2015, 08:32:39 AM

How will the price be affected?

On one hand the inflation rate will not substantially change until next July, 500 days from now. On the other hand it is a psychological reminder that this is coming, many people seem to be unaware of it.

"The difference between a castle and a prison is only a question of who holds the keys."
randy8777
Legendary

Activity: 896
Merit: 1000

View Profile
March 17, 2015, 10:06:23 AM

On one hand the inflation rate will not substantially change until next July, 500 days from now. On the other hand it is a psychological reminder that this is coming, many people seem to be unaware of it.

i think around 6 months before block halving price will go up. at the time block halving have taken place it won't go up because the price already made the jump before the actual halving. it will be interesting to see if the price will keep going up or even going down at moment of halving due to what i wrote at the beginning of my post.
Morecoin Freeman

Activity: 854
Merit: 503

Legendary trader

View Profile
March 17, 2015, 11:18:35 AM

Nothing will happen.

Ask the stranger he knows who you really are.
ronald98

Activity: 314
Merit: 250

View Profile
March 17, 2015, 11:28:07 AM

Nothing will happen.

Most traders are unlikely to notice.
HarmonLi

Activity: 350

Honest 80s business!

View Profile
March 17, 2015, 12:03:20 PM

I read somewhere that people were trying to buy the last 50 BTC block reward or the first 25 BTC reward (can't quite remember). I don't think something like that will happen with any even number of coins. The next block reward halving, on the other hand, will benefit the price. It will be priced in and/or push the price up afterwards.

stonerider

Activity: 224
Merit: 100

View Profile
March 17, 2015, 12:58:17 PM

I strongly disagree with the conventional notion that at the time of last halfing, it was priced in 6-months prior. The reason being, it was an unknown market back then; it's also ludicrous to think that everyone was able to anticipate something 6-months before it happened--6 months is a long time in bitcoin-land. I strongly believe it was a mere coincidence that price rose 6 months before the last halfing. Price didn't go up following the halfing because market was big enough to absorb the decrease in number of coins mined. Market is much bigger now, so it should absorb another halfing without affecting the price too much this time, again.

BTW, did you know 14 millionth bitcoin respresents 66.666% of all bitcoins?
HarmonLi

Activity: 350

Honest 80s business!

View Profile
March 17, 2015, 01:49:38 PM

I strongly disagree with the conventional notion that at the time of last halfing, it was priced in 6-months prior. The reason being, it was an unknown market back then; it's also ludicrous to think that everyone was able to anticipate something 6-months before it happened--6 months is a long time in bitcoin-land. I strongly believe it was a mere coincidence that price rose 6 months before the last halfing. Price didn't go up following the halfing because market was big enough to absorb the decrease in number of coins mined. Market is much bigger now, so it should absorb another halfing without affecting the price too much this time, again.

Yeah but the halving is being priced in at some point The flow of new Bitcoins into the market gets cut down in half, also in a highly predictable manner - which causes people to prepare for that event.

Biodom
Legendary

Activity: 3766
Merit: 3909

View Profile
March 17, 2015, 01:49:52 PM

yea, two thirds of ALL bitcoin in April. Maybe it will give impetus for belated Wall street to buy-in.
Q7

Activity: 448

View Profile WWW
March 17, 2015, 02:29:37 PM

Well I would say most people would not even realize about it. and that's me included. Hence I don't expect it to have the slightest impact on price even after having used to see the number 13,XXX,XXX appearing for so long. What is more profound is when it is closer to the halving date and new threads are being posted in forum, cryptocoins news site started posting about it, and that will it make a difference.

AtheistAKASaneBrain

Activity: 770
Merit: 509

View Profile
March 17, 2015, 03:51:05 PM

I don't think this is going to affect the price much. Mining related stuff, we can only wait for the halving to have an impact, if anything, other than that I dont see it.
uki
Legendary

Activity: 1358

cryptojunk bag holder

View Profile
March 17, 2015, 03:55:31 PM

Block halving will definitely affect the price of Bitcoin. Probably around Eastern 2016 we may experience some upwards move. Taking into account that speculation is still the main driving force behind the price movement, we may be pretty sure of this.

this space is intentionally left blank
gentlemand
Legendary

Activity: 2590
Merit: 3013

Welt Am Draht

View Profile
March 17, 2015, 03:59:01 PM

Any happening that wakes people up to the fact that BTC isn't an infinitely expanding resource is a good thing. I think it often slips minds.

Within less than ten years there'll be under 4% of all coins that'll ever be left to mine. People looking back will marvel at the torrent of coins arriving every day.

It'll be fascinating to see what happens when it truly is deflationary.
freedomno1
Legendary

Activity: 1806
Merit: 1090

Learning the troll avoidance button :)

View Profile
March 17, 2015, 03:59:36 PM

Was not aware of where we were in the coin generation scale thanks for the note 14/21 66.6% there hehe
I would say it has negligible effect but it will likely get some interest from people celebrating Smiley

Believing in Bitcoins and it's ability to change the world
zcxvbs

Activity: 630
Merit: 500

View Profile
March 17, 2015, 05:09:01 PM

And most Bicoin(more than 90%) will be mined before 2050, I'm curious about what would happens if most Bitcoin were mined. High Bitcoin prices?
ajareselde
Legendary

Activity: 1722

Satoshi is rolling in his grave. #bitcoin

View Profile
March 17, 2015, 06:22:55 PM

TBH i dont think anything will change, and not many users even look at this as some kind of a milestone.
All eyes are on halving, and getting ready for a bit lower prices to start gathering coins, but even that is still far off.

cheers
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: