Bitcoin Forum
March 28, 2024, 11:16:46 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Linux Virtual Machine for Windows Bitcoin Users  (Read 7632 times)
matt.collier (OP)

Activity: 105
Merit: 10

View Profile
June 01, 2011, 04:00:27 PM

You are correct!  Just seeing if you were paying attention.  Thank you, I'll correct the original.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
You get merit points when someone likes your post enough to give you some. And for every 2 merit points you receive, you can send 1 merit point to someone else!
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
kloinko1n

Activity: 406
Merit: 100

View Profile
June 01, 2011, 04:27:19 PM

Just seeing if you were paying attention.
Yeah, right!  Tongue
Next, alter the xorg.conf for use with VirtualBox
Code:
sudo nano /etc/X11/xorg.conf
Following your steps, in my setup there is no /etc/X11/ , let alone a /etc/X11/xorg.conf .
But that doesn't matter, it seems to work: At startup the bitcoin window opened and an address (bitcoin account) was already generated.

That option 'generate bitcoins', does it use a possible graphics card, if available? (Let me guess: NO)
matt.collier (OP)

View Profile
June 01, 2011, 04:44:46 PM

This project is now part of the Bitcoin Commons

http://bitcoinvm.bitcoincommons.org

Forum:

http://bitcoincommons.org/phpBB3/viewforum.php?f=11
matt.collier (OP)

View Profile
June 01, 2011, 04:49:03 PM

Following your steps, in my setup there is no /etc/X11/ , let alone a /etc/X11/xorg.conf .
But that doesn't matter, it seems to work: At startup the bitcoin window opened and an address (bitcoin account) was already generated.

That option 'generate bitcoins', does it use a possible graphics card, if available? (Let me guess: NO)

That doesn't sound good.  Let's continue this discussion on the new forum: http://bitcoincommons.org/phpBB3/viewforum.php?f=11

Regarding 'generate bitcoins', that feature does not support GPUs and that option is being removed from the GUI in the next release.
kloinko1n

View Profile
June 02, 2011, 12:37:02 AM

Let's continue this discussion on the new forum: http://bitcoincommons.org/phpBB3/viewforum.php?f=11
Ok, so I follow that link, then click on 'Jump to BitcoinVM' and get: "The forum you selected does not exist."  Huh
kloinko1n

View Profile
June 02, 2011, 12:43:54 AM

Let's continue this discussion on the new forum: http://bitcoincommons.org/phpBB3/viewforum.php?f=11
Ok, so I follow that link, then click on 'Jump to BitcoinVM' and get: "The forum you selected does not exist."  Huh
Oops, forget that, following the other link, then click on the 'forum' tab, brings me there.  Grin
box0211

Activity: 165
Merit: 101

View Profile
March 10, 2014, 03:12:40 AM

what ever happen to this project? is there a newer VM image out there for this kind of setup?
TheFootMan

Activity: 490
Merit: 500

View Profile
March 10, 2014, 03:23:39 AM

what ever happen to this project? is there a newer VM image out there for this kind of setup?

I think it could be smart to set up your own, or install a linux installation from scratch. After all, you would need to trust the individual that created the VM-image if you were to run it and using bitcoin on it.

On the other hand, you'd have to trust that the OS you install is safe in itself as well..

Personally I'd go for the last option (fresh install).
ArticMine
Legendary

Activity: 2282
Merit: 1050

Monero Core Team

View Profile
March 10, 2014, 03:27:17 AM

How does this deal with key logging malware on the Windows host? The malware will have access to the the login credentials of the GNU/Linux guest so encrypting the /home partition on the GNU/Linux guest will not help. The malware will also have access to any passwords typed into the guest for example to decrypt a Bitcoin wallet.

The proper solution here is to run GNU/Linux as the host and Windows as the guest. This avoids the risk above but also has the advantage of minimizing the risk of the Windows guest getting infected as high risk activities such as email, web browsing etc can be run on the much less vulnerable, by several orders of magnitude, GNU/Linux host or for the truly paranoid on a separate GNU/Linux VM.

Concerned that blockchain bloat will lead to centralization? Storing less than 4 GB of data once required the budget of a superpower and a warehouse full of punched cards. https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/8/87/IBM_card_storage.NARA.jpg https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Punched_card
joesmoe2012

Activity: 882
Merit: 501

Ching-Chang;Ding-Dong

View Profile WWW
March 10, 2014, 03:37:07 AM

It only takes literally 10 minutes to install ubuntu on a VM and setup bitcoind, you'd probably be much better doing that tthan using a pre-made VM unless someone has audited the code.

Check out BitcoinATMTalk - https://bitcoinatmtalk.com
TheFootMan

Activity: 490
Merit: 500

View Profile
March 10, 2014, 10:08:04 AM

How does this deal with key logging malware on the Windows host? The malware will have access to the the login credentials of the GNU/Linux guest so encrypting the /home partition on the GNU/Linux guest will not help. The malware will also have access to any passwords typed into the guest for example to decrypt a Bitcoin wallet.

The proper solution here is to run GNU/Linux as the host and Windows as the guest. This avoids the risk above but also has the advantage of minimizing the risk of the Windows guest getting infected as high risk activities such as email, web browsing etc can be run on the much less vulnerable, by several orders of magnitude, GNU/Linux host or for the truly paranoid on a separate GNU/Linux VM.

Most malware won't be able to get into a VM by default. When typing in a password, you could also use cut and paste for instance. If you cut and paste from keypassx within the VM for instance, there's no keylogger that will catch that. Another confusion techniques could be to use a virtual keyboard on screen, or mixup the typing:

This is^b^b^b is the45^b^b pa55phrase^left^left^left^left^left^left^left^left^left[del][del]s^bss

You get the idea.
wolverine5pl

Activity: 427
Merit: 250

View Profile
June 02, 2015, 05:15:12 PM

I got hacked yesterday.  Hope you burn in hell.  But as noobie was matter of time.  So now I'm either thinking about using mac os as wallet holder as i have spare one or use vm with linux which is easy to do from scratch.  Or raspberry pi.

,,╓▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄µ,.               
           ,╔▄▓▓██████████████▓▄▄,           
        ╓╗▓▓██████████████████████▓▄µ       
      ╔▄████████████████████████████▓▓╦     
    ╔╣▓████████▀` ▀███████▀` ╙█████████▌m   
   ╔▓████████▌`     ▀██▓▀      ▐████████▓N   
  ╔▓██████████▓▄      └      ,███████████▓N 
 ╔▓█████▓▀▀█████▓▄         ╓██████▓`▓█████▓H
 ╫█████╨   `█████▀         ▓████▀     ▀████▒
,╫████▄      `▓▀             ▀▀      ,▓████▌H
:╣██████▄           ,▓██           ╓███████▓H
 ╫████████K        ▓█████Ñ        ╫████████▌`
 ╠▓█████▀`          ╙██▓           `▀██████Ñ
 `╫███▀`      ▄▄            ,▄▄       ▀███▌`
  `╣██▓▄    ▄████▄        ,▓████▄    ,▄██▌` 
   `╨███▓▄▓████████▌    ╓█████████▄▄▄███▀`   
     ╙▀██████████████▌▄███████████████▀╨     
       ╙▀██████████████████████████▓▀╨`     
         `╨▀▓███████████████████▓▀╨`         
            ``╨▀▀▀█████████▀▀▀╨``           
                   ```````
AdultChain
   ██   
█  ██  █
█  ██  █
█  ██  █
█  ██  █
█  ██  █
█  ██  █
█  ██  █
█  ██  █
█  ██  █
█  ██  █
█  ██  █
█  ██  █
█  ██  █
█  ██  █
█  ██  █
█  ██  █
█  ██  █
█  ██  █
█  ██  █
█  ██  █
█  ██  █
█  ██  █
█  ██  █
█  ██  █
   ██   
Discord
ANN
       ████▓▄▄▐████╒▄▄▓███▌
       `██████▐████▐█████▀
          ╙▀▀▀▐████`▀▀▀`
              ▐████
        ▄▓████▐████▐███▓▄
       ▓██████▐████▐██████▄
       ████    ▀▓▀┘   ▓████
       ████    ███    ▓████
       ████   ▐███▄   ▓████
       ████  ║█████M  ▓████
       ████  ▐M███▌   ▓████
       ████  ▄████    ▓████
       ████  ████▓    ▓████     
       ████  ▓█ ▀█▌   ▓████
       ████  ▓█  ╙█∩  ▓████
       ████  █▌   ▀█  ▓████
       ████  ▀⌐    ▀▄ ▓████
       ████  ║▌    ╓█ ▓████
       ███████████████████▀
        ▀▓██████████████▀
   ██   
█  ██  █
█  ██  █
█  ██  █
█  ██  █
█  ██  █
█  ██  █
█  ██  █
█  ██  █
█  ██  █
█  ██  █
█  ██  █
█  ██  █
Error404

Activity: 14
Merit: 0

View Profile
June 06, 2015, 11:15:17 AM

I agree that bitcoin was making it software that can be installed in windows because using browser may it hacks by people who had a bad intention about gaining money using hacking others account But it not be a simple because making a software was too hard they need a programmer
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  

Jump to: