Bitcoin Forum
May 22, 2024, 04:25:04 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Paying homage to Pratyeka of Wikipedia for Bitcoin's inclusion.  (Read 1992 times)
Phinnaeus Gage (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1918
Merit: 1570

Bitcoin: An Idea Worth Spending

View Profile WWW
August 09, 2012, 05:05:11 AM

I can't believe that after all Pratyeka went through to get a Bitcoin article on Wikipedia, he's never been mentioned on this forum prior to this thread/post.

Whois Pratyeka: http://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=User:Pratyeka&oldid=495060747

I argued bitterly for the restoration of the Bitcoin article from the evil hands of the deletionists, and have since been vindicated in my judgement as Bitcoin's rise to prominence has continued.

Now: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bitcoin
First iteration: http://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=Bitcoin&oldid=275832581

Bitcoin is an open source peer-to-peer electronic cash system developed by Satoshi Nakamoto that's completely [[P2P|decentralized\\, with no central server or trusted parties. Users hold the crypto keys to their own money and transact directly with each other, with the help of the network to check for double-spending.
See also

Anonymous internet banking
eCache
Pecunix
Ripple monetary system
Yodelbank
External links

Official website
This article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.

Therefore, I want to be the first to say, "Thanks, bud!" if you're lurking on this forum using another pseudonym.

~Bruno~
bg002h
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1463
Merit: 1047

I outlived my lifetime membership:)

View Profile WWW
August 09, 2012, 10:47:40 AM

+1

We need more Internet/RL PR stuff like this and the coinabul posters. Well done Pratyeka!

Hardforks aren't that hard. It’s getting others to use them that's hard.
1GCDzqmX2Cf513E8NeThNHxiYEivU1Chhe
nedbert9

Activity: 252
Merit: 250

Inactive

View Profile
August 09, 2012, 11:22:41 AM

.....What?

So, Wikipedia's position was that Bitcoin and foundation protocols held no historical significance?

Wow, I kind of think less of Wikipedia now.

John (John K.)
Global Troll-buster and
Legendary

Activity: 1288
Merit: 1226

Away on an extended break

View Profile
August 09, 2012, 11:30:24 AM

A great thanks to Pratyeka.  Grin And I'll probably donate less to wikipedia this year...
Littleshop
Legendary

Activity: 1386
Merit: 1003

View Profile WWW
August 09, 2012, 12:44:01 PM

A great thanks to Pratyeka.  Grin And I'll probably donate less to wikipedia this year...

I stopped donating when they started deleting.   They have deleted a huge amount of interesting material since the rise of deletionism at Wikipedia. 

Gabi
Legendary

Activity: 1148
Merit: 1008

If you want to walk on water, get out of the boat

View Profile
August 09, 2012, 03:02:53 PM

I stopped donating when they started deleting.   They have deleted a huge amount of interesting material since the rise of deletionism at Wikipedia. 
+1 to both you

01BTC10
VIP

Activity: 756
Merit: 503

View Profile
August 09, 2012, 03:32:59 PM

Let's start Anarchypedia!

Thank's Pratyeka!
kokojie
Legendary

Activity: 1806
Merit: 1003

View Profile
August 09, 2012, 06:50:48 PM

I thought deletionist were always dominant at Wikipedia.

btc: 15sFnThw58hiGHYXyUAasgfauifTEB1ZF6
niko

Activity: 756
Merit: 501

There is more to Bitcoin than bitcoins.

View Profile
August 09, 2012, 07:15:52 PM

I thought deletionist were always dominant at Wikipedia.
It all ended well. There is a Bitcoin entry (thanks to everyone who contributed and fought for it), and it is relatively more prominent because there is less noise (thanks to deletionists).

Having said all that, the current version has some excellent writing, but the introductory paragraph is too technical and surely turns off many curious people. While I am qualified to bitch about it, I don't think I'm qualified to re-write. Hopefully the likes of Erik and Stephen can get to it soon.

They're there, in their room.
Your mining rig is on fire, yet you're very calm.
mpfrank

Activity: 247
Merit: 250

Cosmic Cubist

View Profile
August 09, 2012, 07:17:53 PM

Looks like a good article!

If all the sovereign non-cryptocurrencies will eventually collapse from hyperinflation, you can't afford *not* to invest in Bitcoin...  See my blog at http://minetopics.blogspot.com/ .

Donations accepted at:  17twYNyqTiCTM2gJmumkytvhZh4sCVSKNH
FreeMoney
Legendary

Activity: 1246
Merit: 1014

Strength in numbers

View Profile WWW
August 09, 2012, 07:21:11 PM

.....What?

So, Wikipedia's position was that Bitcoin and foundation protocols held no historical significance?

Wow, I kind of think less of Wikipedia now.

Yeah, it was deleted pretty much as soon as interest in Bitcoin started to build.

Obv thanks to anyone working at spreading bitcoin, but we missed any benefit a wiki article could have given us in the beginning and at this points it's totally unstoppable even without an advocate. I mean what encyclopedia can just ignore 100000000 dollar thing?

Play Bitcoin Poker at sealswithclubs.eu. We're active and open to everyone.
blablahblah

Activity: 775
Merit: 1000

View Profile
August 09, 2012, 10:54:47 PM

...I mean what encyclopedia can just ignore 100000000 dollar thing?
One that's controlled by an alphabet agency that likes to be in control?

This development seems bullish, in a slightly backhanded kind of way. Cheesy
FreeMoney
Legendary

Activity: 1246
Merit: 1014

Strength in numbers

View Profile WWW
August 09, 2012, 11:04:06 PM

...I mean what encyclopedia can just ignore 100000000 dollar thing?
One that's controlled by an alphabet agency that likes to be in control?

This development seems bullish, in a slightly backhanded kind of way. Cheesy

Presumably alfabet soup guys want to keep the credibility so they can exclude or slant other stuff. Being pig headed about something that has already arrived is futile.

Play Bitcoin Poker at sealswithclubs.eu. We're active and open to everyone.
John (John K.)
Global Troll-buster and
Legendary

Activity: 1288
Merit: 1226

Away on an extended break

View Profile
November 14, 2012, 03:17:39 AM

Guy here (https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?action=profile;u=46139) states that he's Pratyeka in PM. Whitelisted him. Cheesy
walter

Activity: 12
Merit: 0

View Profile
November 14, 2012, 11:04:33 PM

Yes that is me.

I have to say I was pretty amazed to be shown this thread by a friend. How great is the internet? Hehehehe.

For those interested, we are looking for more contributions to Bitcoin ecosystem related standards proposals at http://ifex-project.org/

- Walter
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: