Bitcoin Forum
April 25, 2024, 08:45:22 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Having difficulty setting up a pool miner. Any advance is great!  (Read 3323 times)
duffmanhb (OP)

Activity: 24
Merit: 0

View Profile
May 26, 2011, 04:15:34 AM

I am actually trying to get my mining going for the BTCmine using the GUIminer but, like everything related to BTC, there isn't really any guides on getting set up. For example: GUI asks for my Username and Pass for BTCmine but it always says wrong UN/PW. It also has no fields to specify which miner to use and it's pass. Ive tried every combo and just cant get it. Does this make any sense?

Any way some one could point me to an area that could help?

The forum strives to allow free discussion of any ideas. All policies are built around this principle. This doesn't mean you can post garbage, though: posts should actually contain ideas, and these ideas should be argued reasonably.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
kjj
Legendary

Activity: 1302
Merit: 1024

View Profile
May 26, 2011, 04:26:46 AM

You need to edit (or more likely create) a bitcoin.conf file to set a username and password that your node will allow to connect.  It goes in %APPDATA%\bitcoin\ (on XP, this is C:\Documents and Settings\YOUR USERNAME HERE\Application Data\bitcoin\ ).

Quote from: bitcoin.conf
server=1
rpcuser=USERNAME
rpcpassword=PASSWORD
rpcallowip=*
rpcport=8332

That should get you started.  If you aren't behind a NAT box on private IPs, change rpcallow to the one IP that you are connecting from, or the subnet.

17Np17BSrpnHCZ2pgtiMNnhjnsWJ2TMqq8
I routinely ignore posters with paid advertising in their sigs.  You should too.
SchizophrenicX

Activity: 112
Merit: 100

"I'm not psychic; I'm just damn good"

View Profile
May 26, 2011, 04:29:30 AM

This should be what you're looking for

http://btcmine.com/page/help/#registration

And I've started a Beginner's Guide. However I don't think it cover's this. If you need much more general info u can take a look at the Beginner's Guide Smiley

kjj
Legendary

View Profile
May 26, 2011, 04:35:02 AM

Oh, and you should probably join a pool.  If you are just getting started, the odds of you getting a block by yourself are pretty bad.  I think that getting struck by lightning and having it incinerate a winning lottery ticket in your hand while leaving you untouched is more likely at this point.

I routinely ignore posters with paid advertising in their sigs.  You should too.
duffmanhb (OP)

View Profile
May 26, 2011, 04:37:31 AM

Hey, thanks for the help. Getting closer in the right direction. SO I did this:
server=1
rpcuser=duffmanhb
rpcpassword=XXXXX
rpcallowip=*
rpcport=8332

In a Bitcoin.conf file I had to create. *Sigh*

What on earth am I doing wrong? Also, in the GUIminer, when it asks for UN and PW, they are referring to, not the account UN and PW but the accounts miner UN and PW. Correct?

Thanks again, these forums are great and every one is so helpful.

P.S. kjj: This is what my problem is, I'm trying to join a pool, BTCmine and get mining in the pool. The problem is I cant get it configured properly because all the information on the internet is very vague and unspecific in these regards.
SchizophrenicX

View Profile
May 26, 2011, 04:44:14 AM

if you're using guiminer I don't think u need to play around with the conf file. I hasn't change any file since I start mining a week ago. I downloaded guiminer bitcoin client started a pool account and basically have been mining ever since. I didn't even change anything for the whole week and have just been busy reading on the forum about building my rig.

And yea, they are probably talking about the miner's u/n and p/w, select the right pool and see how the pool wants you to input the miner's u/n. I've found them that some of them uses different conventions for these.

SchizophrenicX

View Profile
May 26, 2011, 04:48:06 AM

https://forum.bitcoin.org/index.php?topic=4251.msg128618;topicseen#msg128618

I did a simple search I'm quite sure someone asked the same question. Anyway I'm sure you'll find more help on this thread instead Smiley

kjj
Legendary

View Profile
May 26, 2011, 05:01:23 AM

Hey, thanks for the help. Getting closer in the right direction. SO I did this:
server=1
rpcuser=duffmanhb
rpcpassword=XXXXX
rpcallowip=*
rpcport=8332

In a Bitcoin.conf file I had to create. *Sigh*

What on earth am I doing wrong? Also, in the GUIminer, when it asks for UN and PW, they are referring to, not the account UN and PW but the accounts miner UN and PW. Correct?

Thanks again, these forums are great and every one is so helpful.

P.S. kjj: This is what my problem is, I'm trying to join a pool, BTCmine and get mining in the pool. The problem is I cant get it configured properly because all the information on the internet is very vague and unspecific in these regards.

Ahh, I thought you were trying to connect to your local node.  If you are joining a pool, you need the worker name and password for that pool, along with the host and port.  The thread for the pool you are using should have the host (aka server) and port information.

In some pools, you sign up with a username and password, then you use the same to connect your miner.  In others, you create one or more workers, with their own username and password.  In others, you specify the payment address in the username, and use a generic password, like x.

Oh, and I've never used guiminer, but there are two ways to specify the four things you need to connect.  One is setting each one by itself, the other is by packing them all into a URL like this:  http://username:password@host:port/

I don't know which form guiminer takes, but as you can see it is easy to convert from one form to the other.

duffmanhb (OP)

View Profile
May 26, 2011, 05:13:01 AM

Hey, thanks for the response! Here is some context:
http://img269.imageshack.us/img269/9831/guiminrprobles.png

I can get a command line based one working just not the GUI working because I can't do exactly what you said earlier, there is no place for me to put in the required information. No where. This is all I get... Maybe something in the flags?
kjj
Legendary

View Profile
May 26, 2011, 05:18:41 AM

Ahh, that explains it.  You can't set your own server to connect to, you have to pick one of the ones in the list.

I'd just go with the command line for now (or change pools).  Presumably whoever maintains guiminer will update the list to include whichever pool you want.  Might be a good idea to check the guiminer thread to make sure he is aware of it.

duffmanhb (OP)

View Profile
May 26, 2011, 05:24:50 AM

No no. I want to use one on the list lol. If you are familiar with BTCmine you make an account for yourself, then you create miner accounts. So for example I have 3 accounts for my two GPU's and CPU. The problem is, I can't log in visa-vi the GUI because it asks for UN/PW but never gives the ability to select which miner you want to use nor will my standard account UN and PW log in. because apparently they are wrong.

I guess I am stuck with command line ones, but reallly want a GUI set up for the ease of throwing it up when I am not gaming and how it saves everything.
kjj
Legendary

View Profile
May 26, 2011, 07:36:01 AM

No no. I want to use one on the list lol. If you are familiar with BTCmine you make an account for yourself, then you create miner accounts. So for example I have 3 accounts for my two GPU's and CPU. The problem is, I can't log in visa-vi the GUI because it asks for UN/PW but never gives the ability to select which miner you want to use nor will my standard account UN and PW log in. because apparently they are wrong.

I guess I am stuck with command line ones, but reallly want a GUI set up for the ease of throwing it up when I am not gaming and how it saves everything.

I would really expect the username for the RPC connection to be the same in the GUI as it is on the command line.  If not, you may need to ask in the BTCmine thread.

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: