Bitcoin Forum
May 04, 2024, 11:08:08 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: I should buy a boat  (Read 2286 times)
EvilPanda

Activity: 658
Merit: 500

Small Red and Bad

View Profile
March 22, 2015, 07:01:49 PM

Not sure who makes that from the picture, but it looks like a pretty large boat, somewhere between 40' to 50'?  To get a boat that size that's actually in ocean crossing condition would probably cost you $50k rock bottom price, and then probably up to $100k for any you can actually find.  The word affordable is relative, but the price of a cheap house isn't exactly that affordable heh.

Boat prices can be deceiving because if you bought a new mast for that boat, it would cost $30,000 new.  So if you found a $30,000 boat with bad mast, it can actually be worth basically 0 haha.

Yes it's probably a $200k+ boat, but If I were to live on it I wouldn't need a house or a car, so buying it would mean liquidating almost everything I have now. It's possible to find similar ones much cheaper, they just need a refresh but it's OK, I'd probably have more than enough time to work on it Smiley
A small house in my area costs at least a $100k and it's usually a price of an empty space you have to redecorate.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"In a nutshell, the network works like a distributed timestamp server, stamping the first transaction to spend a coin. It takes advantage of the nature of information being easy to spread but hard to stifle." -- Satoshi
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
Wilikon
Legendary

Activity: 1176
Merit: 1001

minds.com/Wilikon

View Profile
March 22, 2015, 07:48:16 PM

Top 9 Catamaran Advantages

http://www.time-for-a-catamaran-adventure.com/catamaran-advantages.html

Try to get enough BTC for a cat instead of a monohull.

r0ach (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1260
Merit: 1000

View Profile
March 23, 2015, 02:36:55 PM

It isn't really that simple to say that cats are better than monohulls.  Weather that will flip a cat might just have the monohull sway down then recover since the cat's natural center of balance is updside down.  Cats also seem to require more babysitting to prevent this flipping from occurring.  Let's say you're crossing an entire ocean by yourself and obviously have to go to sleep at some point.  With a monohull, you can toss out a drogue, then as long as you aren't in huge waves, you're probably not going to wake up in a bad situation. 

With the cat, sailing alone is more risky because you really want to have someone at the helm unless the sea is entirely flat.  There are cats you might not have problems in, but those cats are generally insanely expensive compared to a monohull that you can do the same crossing with.  Etap monohulls are supposedly also unsinkable due to having 2 hulls with foam between.

I would personally rather have a cat, but going to sleep in a small one in non-ideal weather conditions would be scary.

......ATLANT......
..Real Estate Blockchain Platform..
                    ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
                    ████████████░
                  ▄██████████████░
                 ▒███████▄████████░
                ▒█████████░████████░
                ▀███████▀█████████
                  ██████████████
           ███████▐██▀████▐██▄████████░
          ▄████▄█████████▒████▌█████████░
         ███████▄█████████▀██████████████░
        █████████▌█████████▐█████▄████████░
        ▀█████████████████▐███████████████
          █████▀████████ ░███████████████
    ██████▐██████████▄████████████████████████░
  ▄████▄████████▐███████████████░▄▄▄▄░████████░
 ▄██████▄█████████▐█████▄█████████▀████▄█████████░
███████████████████▐█████▄█████████▐██████████████░
▀████████▀█████████▒██████████████▐█████▀█████████
  ████████████████ █████▀█████████████████████████
   ▀██▀██████████ ▐█████████████  ▀██▀██████████
    ▀▀█████████    ▀▀█████████    ▀▀██████████

..INVEST  ●  RENT  ●  TRADE..
 ✓Assurance     ✓Price Discovery     ✓Liquidity     ✓Low Fees

███
███
███
███
███
███

███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███

◣Whitepaper ◣ANN ThreadTelegram
◣ Facebook     ◣ Reddit          ◣ Slack

███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███

███
███
███
███
███
███

Hero/Legendary members
Wilikon
Legendary

minds.com/Wilikon

View Profile
March 23, 2015, 04:19:05 PM

It isn't really that simple to say that cats are better than monohulls.  Weather that will flip a cat might just have the monohull sway down then recover since the cat's natural center of balance is updside down.  Cats also seem to require more babysitting to prevent this flipping from occurring.  Let's say you're crossing an entire ocean by yourself and obviously have to go to sleep at some point.  With a monohull, you can toss out a drogue, then as long as you aren't in huge waves, you're probably not going to wake up in a bad situation. 

With the cat, sailing alone is more risky because you really want to have someone at the helm unless the sea is entirely flat.  There are cats you might not have problems in, but those cats are generally insanely expensive compared to a monohull that you can do the same crossing with.  Etap monohulls are supposedly also unsinkable due to having 2 hulls with foam between.

I would personally rather have a cat, but going to sleep in a small one in non-ideal weather conditions would be scary.

There are no perfect all weather sail boats. They all have weakness and strength.  What I like with the cat is the way it handles in shallow water. You may not be crossing the ocean in bad weather all the time, but you would try to be as close possible to land a lot for food, water many times. Some monohulls can deal in shallow water too obviously.

Those links are for all reading this thread.

http://westcoastmultihulls.com/multihull-vs-monohull-advantages/

Safety – Unsinkability
There are many aspects to safety where catamarans and trimarans shine. Often overlooked is the safety margin introduced with level sailing (see above). It is much easier to keep crew aboard in rough weather when the boat stays level and is pitching less. Large cockpit spaces keep crew well away from the lifelines as well.

The speed of a multihull is another safety factor, as with decent weather information it’s relatively easy to sail around severe weather systems before they can bear down on you. Should something go horribly awry, and the boat get flipped (VERY rare – see below), the lack of ballast, and additional positive flotation, means that nearly every catamaran and trimaran produced in the last few decades will remain on the surface of the water, rightside up or not, until a rescue can be made. Nearly all cruising cats and tris have a substantial amount of reserve buoyancy, in the form of closed-cell foam, stashed in the nooks and crannies of the boat. Because of this, most could literally be cut into pieces and all pieces would still float. This makes fire your biggest safety concern aboard a cat. And the anchor windlass, but that’s a story for another day.

Can my catamaran or trimaran flip over?
This is theoretically possible, and has happened in very rare heavy-weather situations when EVERY vessel is in distress. It takes very high winds, too much sail (see reefing, above), and large breaking waves to flip a modern cruising cat or tri. Multihull sailors find it reassuring to know that their cat or tri will remain on the surface, as a big liferaft and spotting target, while ballasted monohulls caught in the same situation are more likely to end up on the bottom of the sea, with their crew bobbing around (if they are lucky) in an inflatable liferaft.

Motoring Performance/Maneuverability
Cruising catamarans and trimarans, with their easily driven hull forms and light weight, enjoy excellent fuel efficiency when compared to monohulls, and track very straight. Cats almost always have twin engines, set many feet apart, which allow for tremendous control in tight situations. In fact, the boat can be spun in place or crabbed sideways without any way on. Try that on a monohull. Prop walk is minimal or nonexistent as well, and the redundancy of a second engine is appreciated should a mechanical issue arise underway.
Nearly all trimarans have just one engine, so the differences there are slight.

http://www.aeroyacht.com/catamaran-learning-center-2/catamaran-shallow-draft/

http://www.distantshores.ca/boatblog_files/category-southerly-boats.php

Anyway I can still enjoy my neighbor's Dufour T7 while dreaming of my perfect cat...

Smiley

EvilPanda

Activity: 658
Merit: 500

Small Red and Bad

View Profile
March 23, 2015, 09:04:15 PM

You must be joking with this BCY 80. This is approximately a $5 million boat. I found a higher model of theirs, BCY 95, for sale for almost $7 mill (used). That's a bit too much even for an early adopter Grin

CoolRunnings21

Activity: 295
Merit: 250

Nenávist má sestru, to je závist.

View Profile
March 23, 2015, 09:31:53 PM

What would Ibe looking at if I wanted a coatal sail boat, not per say an ocean crosser.

Something I can go up and down the east coast, bahamas, puerto rico ect

And maybe if im balsy maybe sail to california.

Would 20k cover this?

As a guy who has never once been on a sailboat, what training will I need and what is the average costs to make a land kook a sea kook.

NDotSO / Bourák
Wilikon
Legendary

minds.com/Wilikon

View Profile
March 23, 2015, 09:44:10 PM

You must be joking with this BCY 80. This is approximately a $5 million boat. I found a higher model of theirs, BCY 95, for sale for almost $7 mill (used). That's a bit too much even for an early adopter Grin

I never said to get a BCY 80. I said to focus on a cat instead. I have no idea how poor or how rich anyone reading this is. But I like beautiful boats. Why would I want to google image an ugly cat when I can illustrate my post with a BCY? Cheesy

Also you need a crew of 4 people to manage such beast. The OP was clear about a boat one or two people could manage easily.

Wilikon
Legendary

minds.com/Wilikon

View Profile
March 23, 2015, 09:56:38 PM

What would Ibe looking at if I wanted a coatal sail boat, not per say an ocean crosser.

Would 20k cover this?

As a guy who has never once been on a sailboat, what training will I need and what is the average costs to make a land kook a sea kook.

You could not do any worse than simply plan a trip on a sail boat first. Google sailboat rental with crew. If you can manage not to be too sick for a few days onboard then you could contemplate buying a boat. Although owning a boat is a money pit for many people. If you are not committed to use it a couple of times a month then even 20k is too much.

Also Google F-Boat trimaran.

r0ach (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1260
Merit: 1000

View Profile
March 24, 2015, 01:25:12 AM

Would 20k cover this?

There's a lot of nice 26' - 30' boats in the 10k to 25k range.  The economy is still considered bad (obviously), so there's a large price range depending on how desperate people are to sell.  Even the worst structurally sound boats (Macgregor 26') people take to the Bahamas and Costa Rica, so as long as you don't plan to cross the Atlantic or Pacific, you have a lot of options.  The smallest ship I would want to live on for extended periods of time is a 30'.  A 26' that can cross an ocean (like a Contessa or something) will probably cost around the same as a 30-32' that isn't good for doing so (such as maybe a Catalina or Hunter), but the bigger boat would be much nicer for living on.

The following is a picture of a Catalina or Hunter that you would probably be able to find for 15-24k while in good condition:

http://www.boattrader.com/listing/1990-Hunter-30-646459

......ATLANT......
..Real Estate Blockchain Platform..
                    ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
                    ████████████░
                  ▄██████████████░
                 ▒███████▄████████░
                ▒█████████░████████░
                ▀███████▀█████████
                  ██████████████
           ███████▐██▀████▐██▄████████░
          ▄████▄█████████▒████▌█████████░