Bitcoin Forum
May 12, 2024, 05:42:30 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Mt. Gox deposit not showing up - were deposit addresses hacked?  (Read 948 times)
mpfrank (OP)

Activity: 247
Merit: 250

Cosmic Cubist

View Profile
August 09, 2012, 01:18:57 PM

So, how long does it normally take for BTC sent to Mt. Gox to appear in one's balance there?

I sent a few about half an hour ago (around the time of this $1B price hack, or whatever it was) and they have yet to appear...

It occurs to me that if someone hacked Mt. Gox, an easy way to steal a lot of Bitcoins would be to set the transfer-in address for new BTC deposits to an address controlled by the hacker...  Then all new deposits would irrevocably go to the hacker instead of to Mt. Gox until the hack was fixed.

I hope that's not what happened to my coins...  Sad

(For reference, the deposit address I was given was:  1PXgaoRksnooMnvC22jPjZVUbYvFBWaLLB
If anyone else has been given that same address...  Then RED ALERT!)

If all the sovereign non-cryptocurrencies will eventually collapse from hyperinflation, you can't afford *not* to invest in Bitcoin...  See my blog at http://minetopics.blogspot.com/ .

Donations accepted at:  17twYNyqTiCTM2gJmumkytvhZh4sCVSKNH
"If you don't want people to know you're a scumbag then don't be a scumbag." -- margaritahuyan
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
John (John K.)
Global Troll-buster and
Legendary

Activity: 1288
Merit: 1226

Away on an extended break

View Profile
August 09, 2012, 01:20:55 PM

So, how long does it normally take for BTC sent to Mt. Gox to appear in one's balance there?

I sent a few about half an hour ago (around the time of this $1B price hack, or whatever it was) and they have yet to appear...

It occurs to me that if someone hacked Mt. Gox, an easy way to steal a lot of Bitcoins would be to set the transfer-in address for new BTC deposits to an address controlled by the hacker...  Then all new deposits would irrevocably go to the hacker instead of to Mt. Gox until the hack was fixed.

I hope that's not what happened to my coins...  Sad
Half an hour? You'll need to wait 6 confirmations, which would normally take around 1-2 hours at best.
Kluge
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1218
Merit: 1015

View Profile
August 09, 2012, 01:21:37 PM

It can take up to (sometimes even in excess of) around 2 hours. 6 confirmations. So, if you see less than 6 confirmations of the transaction in your wallet, that'd be why it's not appearing in Gox.

It's kind of surprising how few sites will at least confirm they've seen the transaction. That'd prevent a lot of worry, I'd think.
mpfrank (OP)

Activity: 247
Merit: 250

Cosmic Cubist

View Profile
August 09, 2012, 01:22:10 PM

Oh thanks, seems like it used to be faster...

If all the sovereign non-cryptocurrencies will eventually collapse from hyperinflation, you can't afford *not* to invest in Bitcoin...  See my blog at http://minetopics.blogspot.com/ .

Donations accepted at:  17twYNyqTiCTM2gJmumkytvhZh4sCVSKNH
Mt.Gox_Support_Natalie

Activity: 59
Merit: 0

View Profile
August 09, 2012, 02:59:56 PM
Last edit: August 09, 2012, 03:31:44 PM by Mt.Gox_Support_Natalie

Oh thanks, seems like it used to be faster...

Hello,

We see two transactions appearing on your address.  If these are not the transactions that you were referring to, please submit a ticket at the Support Desk so that we can investigate further.  

Please be advised that the Outage earlier does not affect your bitcoin deposits.  Please find further information regarding the event below.

Hello Mt.Gox Users,

Trading was unavailable for a short period of time today.  There were invalid trades taking place as well as trade orders that could not be cancelled.  Therefore we had to halt the trading engine and consequently, most ask orders were cancelled.

However, we have resolved this issue and trading has now resumed. Invalid trades have been cancelled and trade orders can now be cancelled. Users who have had their ask orders cancelled are kindly requested to place their orders again.

We apologize for the inconvenience caused and we will make every effort to prevent this from happening again in the future.  Thank you for your continued support to Mt.Gox.

UPDATE:  After investigating, we found out that the issue is likely due to an old piece of code in the trade engine that checks for bid/ask cross (i.e. negative spread). This piece of code would check for bids and asks differences, but did not make sure that both were in the same currency.

To prevent this bug issue from recurring, we have placed some extra checks to halt trading automatically should a similar issue happen again. Thank you once again for your kind understanding in this matter.

UPDATE 2:  It appears that some new trade engine features that were rolled into production earlier today caused this bug to become possible. We have now found the exact cause and resolved this bug.
We now are 100% confident that today's problem was due to a technical glitch and we would like to assure that it was not caused by any malicious attempts.

Source: https://support.mtgox.com/entries/21845378-resolved-outage-35046-trading-unavailable
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: