Bitcoin Forum
May 10, 2024, 04:50:16 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Relics at DEFCON  (Read 1009 times)
Phinnaeus Gage (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1918
Merit: 1570

Bitcoin: An Idea Worth Spending

View Profile WWW
August 09, 2012, 03:01:29 PM

http://www.lasvegasweekly.com/news/2012/aug/09/rick-lax-tries-gaming-gamers-defcon/

You, in this scenario, are Neo to Siviak’s Morpheus. Only Siviak doesn’t look or sound like Laurence Fishburne; he looks like an ’80s movie villain and sounds like Tom Hanks. And Siviak’s really talking about Social Engineering (SE). It’s like hacking, if you substitute the computer for a person. Jedi mind tricks, essentially. SE covers both obtaining information and persuasion. And right now, Siviak is talking about what you should do if you get caught breaking into a building—how you might convince somebody that you belong there.

“Always look like you know what you’re doing,” Siviak says. “Always look like you’re supposed to be there. If somebody tries to stop you, don’t be afraid to tell them, ‘I don’t have time for this.’ Ever seen Ferris Bueller’s Day Off?”

Everybody applauds. They’ve seen it. “Just remember the line, ‘If I get caught, it’s not going to be by a guy like that.’”

It’s time for audience Q&A:

Audience Member No. 1: “My friend and I snuck into a building to scan for vulnerabilities. We were trapped there for seven hours. They locked the doors on us. I was the pretend supervisor, and I got cornered. What was I supposed to say to get out?

Siviak: “A Navy SEAL once told me, ‘If you’re in a situation you can’t think your way out of, scream, “Oh my God! This parachute is a knapsack!” And run.’ What he meant is, do something unpredictable.”

Siviak: Now, does anybody here have a story that would drive the point home?

Audience Member No. 13: I once had to make up a story about a reric corrector to distance myself from some email reeks.

Everybody applauds. They’ve seen it.

~Ain't Cackling~

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
It is a common myth that Bitcoin is ruled by a majority of miners. This is not true. Bitcoin miners "vote" on the ordering of transactions, but that's all they do. They can't vote to change the network rules.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
Kluge
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1218
Merit: 1015

View Profile
August 09, 2012, 03:16:08 PM

Rosie O'Donnel couldn't get away with it. You either, Phin. Tongue
teflone

Activity: 770
Merit: 500

You're fat, because you dont have any pics on FB

View Profile
August 09, 2012, 05:52:48 PM
Last edit: August 09, 2012, 08:20:12 PM by teflone

From my personal collection..

For christ sake someone tell me how to shrink these with the [img] code ?
Thank you Stephen..

For Canadians by Canadians: Canada's Bitcoin Community - https://www.coinforum.ca/
Stephen Gornick
Legendary

Activity: 2506
Merit: 1010

View Profile
August 09, 2012, 08:13:39 PM

someone tell me how to shrink these with the [img] code ?

[img width=nnn]

Unichange.me

█
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █

Phinnaeus Gage (OP)
Legendary

View Profile WWW
August 09, 2012, 10:07:51 PM

someone tell me how to shrink these with the [img] code ?

[img width=nnn]

I, too, had to learn this a couple three months ago, first few times including the height, but later learnt that width was all that was needed.

For shits and giggles, I like to learn how to rotate (or flip) an animated GIF image, re-sized or not, whereupon it still functions properly.

Back to DEFCON, I'm surprised that the convention-goers are into wearing costumes. I bet you Rassah would simply love the aura.

~Bruno~
teflone

View Profile
August 09, 2012, 11:13:50 PM

There was very very very few people that had anything resembling a costume... Like 1 in a thousand..  

The only substantial one I saw was this pedo dude...

We caught him in the Rio, outside of the con while watching the weird dance show.   My friend and I met a cool chick and sat down there for hours getting hammed on hurricanes, she turned getting beads into a reverse epic game...  She kept yelling "show us your tits!" and kept getting beads not showing any herself..  was fucking hilarious.. .  we got a few random girl flashes...  I honestly cant complain! Cheesy

On another note, the defcon badges that communicated over IR with each other made me nervous..  because I swear mine communicated with the IR urinal flusher, and proceeded to flush mid stream...    I kid you not...  Cheesy  

I "bonded" with the urinal....   and tried the toilet next time... but to no avail...  

For Canadians by Canadians: Canada's Bitcoin Community - https://www.coinforum.ca/
teflone

View Profile
August 09, 2012, 11:26:15 PM

Also... check out what I found..

Matthew is not the only one that learned to Tor....

unclemantis

Activity: 98
Merit: 10

(:firstbits => "1mantis")

View Profile
August 10, 2012, 01:06:09 AM

NICE!

PHP, Ruby, Rails, ASP, JavaScript, SQL
20+ years experience w/ Internet Technologies
Bitcoin OTC | GPG Public Key                                                                               thoughts?
Phinnaeus Gage (OP)
Legendary

View Profile WWW
August 10, 2012, 01:40:45 AM

Why can't we have nice things?
BitBlitz

Activity: 285
Merit: 250

Turning money into heat since 2011.

View Profile
August 10, 2012, 03:43:09 AM

One reason hackers shy away from press people:
http://www.wired.com/threatlevel/2007/08/media-mole-at-d/
It is safe to say that most reporters just don't get it..

Very few people show up in costume any more.  In years past, Saturday evening turned into a freakshow.  They used to enforce the "No jeans.  No Street Clothes." dress code at the Black and White Ball about ten years ago. 

Oh, and for anyone that was there...  There are credible claims that most or all 3/4G cell traffic was recorded. 

I see the value of Bitcoin, so I don't worry about the price...
Phinnaeus Gage (OP)
Legendary

View Profile WWW
August 10, 2012, 04:55:08 PM

There are credible claims that most or all 3/4G cell traffic was recorded.

Therefore, next year there'll be a Mask-App to counter that. All that will be sent over the airwaves in Vegas next year will be, "You believe me, don't you, Mother?" (in the voice of Mark B.)
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: