Bitcoin Forum
May 07, 2024, 11:48:25 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Arduino Miner?  (Read 31523 times)
BombaUcigasa
Legendary

Activity: 1442
Merit: 1000

View Profile
May 30, 2011, 06:31:09 PM

Some of the LPCs can be had for 60 cents for 1K chip count. That's a 75MHz ARM core instead of a 20MHz AVR core... So a much lower cost per core, a much higher performance per core. I'm a fan of AVRs, but still, there's such a thing as trying too hard -- which is why I laugh at everyone still trying to do "real work" on their CP/M system.

--Keith
Let us read from the Big Book of things and witness it's power....
- ARM Cortex-M3 processor, running at frequencies of up to 120 MHz on high speed versions (LPC1769 and LPC1759), up to 100 MHz on other versions, around 100 MIPS?
- Price around 7.5$ for large quantities for most package forms
- no power usage details, possibly less than100mW at 2-5V?
- requires board components for development/implementation worth around 10-20$?

So it looks like 100Khash/s for 10$/core using 300mW. Maybe you can buy them cheaper.
The Bitcoin network protocol was designed to be extremely flexible. It can be used to create timed transactions, escrow transactions, multi-signature transactions, etc. The current features of the client only hint at what will be possible in the future.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
callmelordjohn

Activity: 2
Merit: 0

View Profile
May 19, 2016, 01:29:01 AM

is there any update on this ?
bitcoineverything

Activity: 504
Merit: 250

InvestnTrade. Latest from the crypto space.

View Profile WWW
May 19, 2016, 07:29:34 AM

This is interesting but mining needs a lot of processing power. I don't think Arduino can run the mining software. Most CPUs are working at GHz clockspeeds and Arduinos are not. There were RPis made for it but still they are weak.

We are here to give you all the latest from the Cryptocurrency space!
notlist3d
Legendary

Activity: 1456
Merit: 1000

View Profile
May 19, 2016, 11:03:06 PM

is there any update on this ?

Arduino's were just not made for running mining software.  You can program them... but the project is not something like running a full linux OS.   You just will find it's made for other things.

What you need is a RPI for 30 dollars or so.  And it works fine as it was made as a mini computer. 
alh
Legendary

Activity: 1843
Merit: 1050

View Profile
May 20, 2016, 04:46:23 PM

While this might be an interesting or fun project, it's clearly in the "Can I make it work" category, kinda like that guy that implemented the SHA256 algorithm on a late 1950's IBM system (i.e. the 1401 CPU). It's important to understand the realities of such an effort.

For a moment, let's assume you could make a single Arduino do 1 MILLION hashes in a second. Sounds like a lot doesn't it? To put it in perspective though, the $25 Compac USB stick from sidehack does 8 BILLION hashes in one second. So to match the Compac hashrate you'll need 8 THOUSAND Arduino gadgets.

Just something to consider.
Lux_Gamer

Activity: 1
Merit: 0

View Profile
August 04, 2016, 10:06:07 AM

I have designed a portable raspberry pi zero computer.
The raspberry pi is already in use for folding.
Now i want a low powerd computer a arduino for mining bitcoins or other currency doesnt really matter.
I know i never get my money back but it is more for the fun.
Now is my quastion is there already somen one who had done it on a arduino?

Sorry for my bad english hope you understand.
leowonderful
Legendary

Activity: 1624
Merit: 1129

Bitcoin FTW!

View Profile
August 07, 2016, 02:24:31 PM

I have designed a portable raspberry pi zero computer.
The raspberry pi is already in use for folding.
Now i want a low powerd computer a arduino for mining bitcoins or other currency doesnt really matter.
I know i never get my money back but it is more for the fun.
Now is my quastion is there already somen one who had done it on a arduino?

Sorry for my bad english hope you understand.

AFAIK no, and especially not for anything besides SHA256, let alone folding or even Scrypt. I don't see many people working on something like this in the future, either, as the hashrate will probably be so low that you'll never get any shares. The CPU in most arduino units are pretty obsolete, even compared with many smartphones. I'd just recommend that you buy some more pis to mine with, as it'll take at least a few months for anything to get started with this, if at all anything happens.
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  

Jump to: