Bitcoin Forum
May 15, 2024, 07:03:31 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: What type of system would it take for you to regard it as a threat to Bitcoin?  (Read 1467 times)
gentlemand (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 2590
Merit: 3013

Welt Am Draht

View Profile
March 19, 2015, 04:11:04 PM

Every time a new type of payment processor is launched by The Man, there's plenty of screaming about it being a threat to Bitcoin.

As many patiently point out, they're never anything more than a fancier way to spend or tokenise existing currencies. They'll make life more convenient but do nothing to address the underlying problems that some are aware of. That goes for everything from Applepay to IBMcoin to Ripple.

With that in mind, do you think the powers that be will ever come up with something that has you questioning BTC's viability? If so, what elements would they be offering and how might it match or differ from BTC?

pedrog
Legendary

Activity: 2786
Merit: 1031

View Profile
March 19, 2015, 04:21:02 PM

I only see regulation, or outright ban of bitcoin as a threat.

There are quite a few proprietary operating systems, GNU/Linux was only used by enthusiast at the beginning, there were many discussions like this, will Microsoft crush linux, and it didn't, today, GNU/Linux and it's variants are the most used operating systems in the world.

Twipple

Activity: 462
Merit: 250

View Profile
March 19, 2015, 05:56:13 PM

I think something exactly like a bitcoin system, which will allow you to send payments just like bitcoin but that is not anonymous. Anonymity is definitely something nice to have but to keep the scams and thefts away a non-anonymous system might be a real threat to bitcoin.
Beyonce

Activity: 86
Merit: 10

Surfbort.

View Profile
March 19, 2015, 06:28:22 PM

What type of system would it take for you to regard it as a threat to Bitcoin?

Something that is better. As you say they're not really threats as they're just another way to spend your fiat. Bitcoin is entirely different in it being a truly unique currency as well as a payment system. If anything, bitcoin is a threat to them not the other way around.

Bow down, bitches.
Bit_Happy
Legendary

Activity: 2100
Merit: 1040

A Great Time to Start Something!

View Profile
March 19, 2015, 06:32:23 PM

If Ripple was much more user-friendly (for non-tech people), then they could have been a real threat to Bitcoin. The way they are (or were last time I checked), they will never grow past a small % of the potential user-base.

Beliathon

Activity: 784
Merit: 1000

https://youtu.be/PZm8TTLR2NU

View Profile WWW
March 19, 2015, 06:49:48 PM

Sentient true general A.I., but there's close to zero probability of such technology emerging in time to save fiat from the looming black hole that is bitcoin.

Remember Aaron Swartz, a 26 year old computer scientist who died defending the free flow of information.
WindowedCore

Activity: 42
Merit: 0

View Profile
March 19, 2015, 06:53:29 PM

If Ripple was much more user-friendly (for non-tech people), then they could have been a real threat to Bitcoin. The way they are (or were last time I checked), they will never grow past a small % of the potential user-base.

Yeah, I agree with you.  Facebook started losing its popularity when old people started using it.  Facebook is still big, but it's just not the same, which is why people have moved onto Twitter and other social media sources, because older people have no idea what the hell the point of Twitter is nor how to use it.  When your user base becomes full of idiots with money, it's going down the drain.
gentlemand (OP)
Legendary

Welt Am Draht

View Profile
March 19, 2015, 06:57:22 PM

Wouldn't you class it as a payment protocol rather than a currency or store of value? I know there's XRP but if Ripple functioned as intended, it having any value might end up being an impediment, not that I can figure out what they're on about half the time.
Beliathon

https://youtu.be/PZm8TTLR2NU

View Profile WWW
March 19, 2015, 07:03:19 PM

Wouldn't you class it as a payment protocol rather than a currency or store of value?
I would classify it as a scam.

Remember Aaron Swartz, a 26 year old computer scientist who died defending the free flow of information.
GTO911

Activity: 672
Merit: 500

View Profile
March 19, 2015, 07:27:56 PM

I see the Cryptonote protocol the ultimate replacement to bitcoin
Orangina

Activity: 309
Merit: 250

View Profile
March 19, 2015, 07:36:31 PM

Of course not. Bitcoin is clearly a protocol for sending value around the internet. Any computer science geek can tell you it meets all the requirements to be a bona fide protocol.
logicalq

Activity: 77
Merit: 17

View Profile
March 19, 2015, 07:40:48 PM

I see the Cryptonote protocol the ultimate replacement to bitcoin

Thats just an algorithm. In terms of adoption, it will never be able to replace bitcoin.
I see facebook p2p payment system as a thread currently.
GTO911

Activity: 672

View Profile
March 19, 2015, 07:42:01 PM

Thats just an algorithm. In terms of adoption, it will never be able to replace bitcoin.

You have a lot of reading to do first before posting
croato

Activity: 616

1BkEzspSxp2zzHiZTtUZJ6TjEb1hERFdRr

View Profile
March 20, 2015, 03:20:24 AM

I dont see any system able to replace Bitcoin. Ripple is just centralised shit and there will be lot of it in next years from big companies but bitcoin is decentralised and that is huge advantage. It is revolution of money. Other shitcoins are way behind Bitcoin even decentralised and most of their fancy things can be implemented in Bitcoin in case of need.
cbeast
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1736
Merit: 1006

Let's talk governance, lipstick, and pigs.

View Profile
March 20, 2015, 03:57:57 AM

Sentient true general A.I., but there's close to zero probability of such technology emerging in time to save fiat from the looming black hole that is bitcoin.
I'm thinking more swarm intelligence perhaps. The Internet of Cyber-Ant colonies gobbling all the money and putting us humans into highly efficient habitats.

Any significantly advanced cryptocurrency is indistinguishable from Ponzi Tulips.
thew3apon

View Profile
March 20, 2015, 04:19:05 AM

Media and disinformation is probably the biggest threat to bitcoins existance.
maku
Legendary

Activity: 1288

View Profile
March 20, 2015, 04:22:07 AM

Yeah, I agree with you.  Facebook started losing its popularity when old people started using it.  Facebook is still big, but it's just not the same, which is why people have moved onto Twitter and other social media sources, because older people have no idea what the hell the point of Twitter is nor how to use it.  When your user base becomes full of idiots with money, it's going down the drain.
I didn't check Ripple. Is their system that complicated and counter intuitive than normal windows user is not gonna crack it? I seriously doubt it is that hard.
I am gonna check that out later.

How old are people who use Facebook now? 40,50,60 year old, and you are claiming that they are killing facebook popularity I don't think so. I don't think you can compare Facebook with Twitter, these services are not gonna compete with each other in a direct way.
ObscureBean
Legendary

Activity: 1148

View Profile WWW
March 20, 2015, 04:29:19 AM

I think it's the other way around, the underdog is always the threat because the masses have already labeled it as unlikely.
The core ideas of Bitcoin/crytocurrency are anonymity and transactions that can be completed freely from anywhere in the world while bypassing regulatory structures of individual countries. Those cannot be replicated by the system (at least not without some major underhandedness that would only serve to increase pressure system-wide). If through some miracle the system did manage to incorporate those ideas transparently into a crytocurrency of its own, then it wouldn't matter if Bitcoin disappeared because the essence of the original idea would've simply migrated from one body to another.
Bit_Happy
Legendary

Activity: 2100
Merit: 1040

A Great Time to Start Something!

View Profile
March 20, 2015, 06:27:07 AM

Wouldn't you class it as a payment protocol rather than a currency or store of value? I know there's XRP but if Ripple functioned as intended, it having any value might end up being an impediment, not that I can figure out what they're on about half the time.

Ripple seems to have "mission creep", and it's not clear if even they know exactly what that are.
Did they ever update (or get rid of) the original "explanation" where you get paid through "ripples of trust", meaning you trust someone who trusts others, who happen to trust the person who wants to send you money?
// ... Is my 'version' easier or harder to understand than theirs?  Cheesy

gentlemand (OP)
Legendary

Welt Am Draht

View Profile
March 20, 2015, 10:09:52 AM

// ... Is my 'version' easier or harder to understand than theirs?  Cheesy

I'm equally befuddled. Maybe part of the game plan was to make it incomprehensible to mere mortals.
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: