Bitcoin Forum
April 20, 2024, 01:15:09 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: USA Banking Giants announce new bitcoin like money transfer service clearXchange  (Read 7785 times)
eturnerx

Activity: 84
Merit: 10

View Profile
May 26, 2011, 05:11:36 PM

Lol we've had this for years. 1) It's called setting up payees in your internet banking software. 2) Use the bank's mobile website when out and about. Why is this news?
That still requires a paper check unless it's the same bank.
Really? No - not in my country. It resolves electronically overnight for the same bank and 2-3 days for inter-bank transfers. The funds cleared as soon as they arrive. Paper cheques here still take 5 working days to clear unless they have either CASH or WAGES written on them.
Methinks the banks like to keep the money in transit to earn a sliver of interest on the way through. We get near instantaneous transfer when we pay via swipe bank-cards (not credit cards) at retailers.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
compro01

Activity: 590
Merit: 500

View Profile
May 26, 2011, 05:41:10 PM

FFS, why do they need to come up with more incompatible propitiatory crap?

why don't they just adopt interac so we can have a simple sane system across most of the continent?
goatpig
Legendary

Activity: 3668
Merit: 1345

Armory Developer

View Profile
May 26, 2011, 07:00:49 PM

Bitcoin is a currency on its own. This is yet another layer on top of fiat. Nothing to see here, move along.

cablepair (OP)

Activity: 896
Merit: 1000

Buy this account on March-2019. New Owner here!!

View Profile WWW
May 26, 2011, 09:50:41 PM

the current American financial system can and will never be decentralized or capture the beauty of BitCoin

but it does seem to me to be somewhat of an attempt to deflect or distract if not compete with BitCoin

it is certainly not a threat to BitCoin and I never implied that but you cant doubt  the fact that it is an interesting thing to see come out as BitCoin is getting so popular...

You always hear BitCoin is competition to paypal

well they said the same thing clearXchange is competition to paypal

therefore clearXchange is competition to BitCoin ;>

and although we here all know and agree when you get down to it this clearXchange is nothing like BitCoin, but if you look through the eyes of Average Joe American citizen who just got the internet for the first time a year ago and thinks that google is the internet

to that person clearXchange looks a lot like BitCoin and its coming from a name they know and trust.

----

I am sorry but I love to play the devils advocate and fire up discussions
and I don't believe in coincidences

thanks for all your input!
cheers!

MoonShadow
Legendary

Activity: 1708
Merit: 1007

View Profile
May 26, 2011, 09:55:03 PM

"You will soon be able to pay your friend back for dinner or give your kid $100 by simply logging in to your bank account and entering their name and phone number. No cash, check, PayPal or silly app required."

this does not sound familar at all to you?

Yes.  It sounds like online banking.  It doesn't sound like Bitcoin.

"The powers of financial capitalism had another far-reaching aim, nothing less than to create a world system of financial control in private hands able to dominate the political system of each country and the economy of the world as a whole. This system was to be controlled in a feudalist fashion by the central banks of the world acting in concert, by secret agreements arrived at in frequent meetings and conferences. The apex of the systems was to be the Bank for International Settlements in Basel, Switzerland, a private bank owned and controlled by the world's central banks which were themselves private corporations. Each central bank...sought to dominate its government by its ability to control Treasury loans, to manipulate foreign exchanges, to influence the level of economic activity in the country, and to influence cooperative politicians by subsequent economic rewards in the business world."

- Carroll Quigley, CFR member, mentor to Bill Clinton, from 'Tragedy And Hope'
cablepair (OP)

View Profile WWW
May 26, 2011, 10:36:14 PM

oh stop being like that

you can refute this all you want, but the truth is if you pitch BitCoin to my parents (average middle class americans in their 50's)
and then you pitch clearXchange to them, they are going to think they are the same exact thing

we need to all realize that for BitCoin to REALLY CATCH ON as a viable currency that NORMAL EVERYDAY PEOPLE are going to use we need to come off our high geeky horses and get real. This BitCoin thing is an amazing opportunity for all of us to make money, it has been great to me I am not going to lie but for it to really go to the next step we have got to bring it to the masses and your attitude (which I see every single day on these forums) is not the attitude that is going to make this work.
FreeMoney
Legendary

Activity: 1246
Merit: 1014

Strength in numbers

View Profile WWW
May 26, 2011, 10:43:26 PM

oh stop being like that

you can refute this all you want, but the truth is if you pitch BitCoin to my parents (average middle class americans in their 50's)
and then you pitch clearXchange to them, they are going to think they are the same exact thing

It would have to be a pretty bad explanation. You can have a bitcoin. Can you have a ClearXchange?

Any complete, honest explanation of Bitcoin will mention the fact that a Bitcoin is not a dollar.

Aside from that you have yo log into your bank and the recipient has to be known to the bank (at least in some sense). At best normal banking gets a little easier.

Play Bitcoin Poker at sealswithclubs.eu. We're active and open to everyone.
cablepair (OP)

View Profile WWW
May 26, 2011, 11:12:35 PM

ok, I guess I am just completely insane. Sorry about that.

let me just note that when I am comparing BitCoin to clearXchange I am only comparing it as a service to send and receive funds.

I don't know where you live, but I live in a tiny town in upstate new york, USA

You could explain BitCoin perfectly and explain clearXchange perfectly

and people are probably going to think not only do they sound like two brands of the same type of service they are going to go with clearXchange because it is connected to names they know and trust.

BitCoin is a service is to send and receive funds digitally
clearXchange is a service to send and receive funds digitally
they are both "NEW" alternatives to paypal

how can you sit there and try and tell me they are nothing alike? The bankers see clearXchange as competition to bitcoin, I guarantee it.

please do not waste any more of your breath telling me that the two are not at all alike and act like I am nuts for starting this topic, the fact of the matter is what?

do we not want BitCoin to grow as a service to accept and send payments? is this not the future of BitCoin?

are these banks not launching this clearXchange as a service to accept and send payments?

marcus_of_augustus
Legendary

Activity: 3920
Merit: 2348

Eadem mutata resurgo

View Profile
May 26, 2011, 11:15:14 PM

Bitcoin does not need the US banking market ... in fact it needs to engage with US banking like it needs a hole in the head .... the US system is a dinosaur kludge built on top of a paper currency that was once backed by gold. It's dying, get out while you still can before its grasping hands drag you down with it.

Edit:Immune Bitcoin is currency that is growing in value ... is clearXchanged the same thing as that .... explain that to anyone old, young or otherwise ... it is a new money and they'll "get it".

cablepair (OP)

View Profile WWW
May 26, 2011, 11:27:48 PM

hahah

see the funny thing is I agree with all of you

BitCoin does not need the US banking market
thats what is great about it

but you have to see the comparison I am drawing between what the corporate banking system is trying to do by launching this clearXchange system and what we are doing with BitCoin

no it cant compete of course but this is their version of it, this is their competitive product for our internet commerce model. This is their attempt to accommodate current customers who would be swayed away into the BitCoin system.

again I don't believe in coincidences
and this is all I am saying
this clearXchange is no accident

I am done arguing, I love you all.

BitterTea

Activity: 294
Merit: 250

View Profile
May 26, 2011, 11:41:47 PM

see the funny thing is I agree with all of you
I am done arguing, I love you all.

Shut up, I agree with you!

No, you shut up, I agree with you!

Grin

Guy's, he's just saying that at first glance, the average schmuck isn't going to see any benefit to bitcoin when the bank they've been doing business with offers clearXchange. They're completely wrong of course, we all know that those banks are fucking them over in any number of ways, but you can't cure stupid.
Serge
Legendary

Activity: 1050

View Profile
May 26, 2011, 11:45:17 PM

Banks move very slowly with any new development. What you see now in the news has no relation to the recent Bitcoin spike. I'd guess the service they're coming out now has been in talks and planning for at least a year - all their higher ups must agree on the protocol, make sure legal is in tact, adjust accounting processes, QA, marketing planning, infrastructure, HR, etc, etc. I remember at one [big] bank were I did web consulting few VPs took few weeks to decide which color for menu buttons to use on a new sub website of theirs, given they've had limited amount of official bank's colors Smiley

Online transactions is what they've missed and they want in. Paypal is their primary competitor atm.
elewton

Activity: 407
Merit: 100

DIA | Data infrastructure for DeFi

View Profile
May 26, 2011, 11:46:41 PM

That's fair.
For the straightforward transferal of funds, this Clearxchange might well be better than Bitcoin for many users.  It currently offers a higher degree of certainty.
It would be useful for your parents to get to used to e-banking in any form.

We should continue to market Bitcoin to those who profit from using it.  International trade and Internet trade are, imho, where Bitcoin shines.
This could be an excellent tool for a distributed Bitcoin exchange.

MoonShadow
Legendary

Activity: 1708
Merit: 1007

View Profile
May 26, 2011, 11:50:45 PM

we need to all realize that for BitCoin to REALLY CATCH ON as a viable currency that NORMAL EVERYDAY PEOPLE are going to use we need to come off our high geeky horses and get real. This BitCoin thing is an amazing opportunity for all of us to make money,

The possibility of making a profit is not why I participate.  There are other high risk investments that I might participate in that would likely be as lucrative.  Smuggling for example.  I participate because of what a successful Bitcoin would result in for the society that I live within.  It's a semi-passive revolutionary act to transact in this fashion, do you not realize that?  My parents would have.

"The powers of financial capitalism had another far-reaching aim, nothing less than to create a world system of financial control in private hands able to dominate the political system of each country and the economy of the world as a whole. This system was to be controlled in a feudalist fashion by the central banks of the world acting in concert, by secret agreements arrived at in frequent meetings and conferences. The apex of the systems was to be the Bank for International Settlements in Basel, Switzerland, a private bank owned and controlled by the world's central banks which were themselves private corporations. Each central bank...sought to dominate its government by its ability to control Treasury loans, to manipulate foreign exchanges, to influence the level of economic activity in the country, and to influence cooperative politicians by subsequent economic rewards in the business world."

- Carroll Quigley, CFR member, mentor to Bill Clinton, from 'Tragedy And Hope'
Anonymous

May 27, 2011, 05:55:58 AM

It will make it easier to buy bitcoin if there's a clearexchange to bitcoin trader bypassing all the paypal crap and wire fees..

Smiley
AntiVigilante

Activity: 98

View Profile
May 27, 2011, 06:45:02 AM

It will make it easier to buy bitcoin if there's a clearexchange to bitcoin trader bypassing all the paypal crap and wire fees..

Smiley

We can HACK any meme.

We will infiltrate any challenger Smiley

Proposal: http://forum.bitcoin.org/index.php?topic=11541.msg162881#msg162881
Inception: https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/issues/296
Goal: http://forum.bitcoin.org/index.php?topic=12536.0
Means: Code, donations, and brutal criticism. I've got a thick skin. 1Gc3xCHAzwvTDnyMW3evBBr5qNRDN3DRpq
BitterTea

Activity: 294
Merit: 250

View Profile
May 27, 2011, 04:19:32 PM

Here's a factor that we may not have considered.

Perhaps they'll all sue each other to death, while Bitcoin climbs upon their bloody corpses.  Grin
matt.collier

Activity: 105

View Profile
May 27, 2011, 04:47:49 PM

Here's an example of what we can expect from ClearXChange:

http://consumerist.com/2011/05/chase-quickpay-decides-your-rent-payment-is-fraud-locks-down-accounts.html
marcus_of_augustus
Legendary

Activity: 3920
Merit: 2348

Eadem mutata resurgo

View Profile
May 27, 2011, 09:39:15 PM

Yes, the centralised control and surveillance of your wallet, account, money is the archilles heel of all these systems ... no matter how "convenient" they appear. Bitcoin does most of this already as beta AND it is largely under your control.

AntiVigilante

Activity: 98

View Profile
May 27, 2011, 11:31:22 PM

Yes, the centralised control and surveillance of your wallet, account, money is the archilles heel of all these systems ... no matter how "convenient" they appear. Bitcoin does most of this already as beta AND it is largely under your control.

What really counts is "We got complaints for our service so we renamed it!".

Bitcoiners could add fluff protection features like, I'm going to China soon, I may log in from there, do not trigger fraud prevention.

People have no conception of what #HardToBreak means in cryptography or long block chains. They like protection features that still have some pointless physical principle attached. They are never going to accept the idea that physical barriers have no meaning and are irrelevant to bitcoin.

So humor them. And since the risk is nearly non-existent, you can promise all sorts of fancy features you'll never actually need to implement that banks can't compete with.

"Is my cat protected from asteroids?"

"Yes it is."

"Thank you."

Proposal: http://forum.bitcoin.org/index.php?topic=11541.msg162881#msg162881
Inception: https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/issues/296
Goal: http://forum.bitcoin.org/index.php?topic=12536.0
Means: Code, donations, and brutal criticism. I've got a thick skin. 1Gc3xCHAzwvTDnyMW3evBBr5qNRDN3DRpq
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: