Bitcoin Forum
June 16, 2024, 10:10:14 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Here's why BTCST won't last for one year  (Read 3095 times)
Kazimir (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1176
Merit: 1003

View Profile
August 10, 2012, 10:35:27 AM

7% interest a week equals about 3300% a year.

Currently, there seems to be about 400K BTC invested in BTCST 1.

In one year from now, this would be 400K x 34 = 13.6 million BTC 2.

In one year from now, there will be a total of approximately 11.2 million BTC in existence 3.

Does not compute.

Explanation of figures:

(1) The 400K is a rough estimation extrapolated from the 26K~28K BTC weekly interest, then again, that pretty much evens out vs the assumption that eventually 100% of all BTC in existence would be invested in BTCST.

(2) 1.07365/7 > 34

(3) 365*24*6*(50*4+25*½)

In theory, there's no difference between theory and practice. In practice, there is.
Insert coin(s): 1KazimirL9MNcnFnoosGrEkmMsbYLxPPob
Scott J
Legendary

Activity: 1792
Merit: 1000

View Profile
August 10, 2012, 10:38:29 AM

Edit: Here's why BTCST won't last for one year at 7%.
Kluge
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1218
Merit: 1015

View Profile
August 10, 2012, 10:50:39 AM

Within three months, I bet the screamers of "PONZI!" will claim their education of the masses, that 7%/wk is unsustainable, is what led Pirate to lower rates.

Clearly, people are on to Pirate's scam, and so he's going to lower rates to build confidence... but then it's going to go BOOM, and all the idiots who invested in his scheme will have nothing, and I'll laugh. I'm thinking this scheme only has -1 or 1 week left, anyway. All the scammers in collusion probably left, so there're just the idiot know-nothings at the bottom left, waiting to have their savings ripped away from them.
Willowbitcoin

Activity: 114
Merit: 12

View Profile
August 10, 2012, 11:25:43 AM

Im confused kludge.

Arent you invested with pirate ?
Kazimir (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
August 10, 2012, 11:29:58 AM

Just to be clear: I'm NOT accusing pirate of running a scam or anything. So far he's done a great job on earning people lots of money. Kudos!

I just wanna emphasize that 7%/wk is not just extremely unlikely, it's simply NOT POSSIBLE to go on much longer.

Now, I hate to see lotsa people losing tons of money. Even if it's just the idiot know-nothings at the bottom. Perhaps they need to learn their lesson the hard way, sure, but 400K going BOOM may hurt the overall trust in Bitcoin. That would suck. Even though it makes no sense at all, a bunch of greedy fucktards trusting one anonymous guy obviously has nothing to do with the trustworthiness of Bitcoin itself. But that's how shit works, the overall trust in Bitcoin will be damaged.

People, please get your heads out of the sand. By all means, keep putting your savings in BTCST or any of the pass through constructions, trusts, bonds, whatever. Enjoy the ride (and the profits) but please keep in mind that it could be over any time. So be prepared, and don't whine or blame anyone but yourself when it happens.

Now, in the mean time I'm off buying some more pirate bonds, since this is just spare money that I can afford to take a risk with.

In theory, there's no difference between theory and practice. In practice, there is.
Scott J
Legendary

View Profile
August 10, 2012, 11:34:33 AM

Im confused kludge.

I was a bit confused too - I'm sure he's expressing the view of the sceptics, though it could have been clearer Grin
Soros Shorts
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1617
Merit: 1012

View Profile
August 10, 2012, 12:31:07 PM

Im confused kludge.

I was a bit confused too - I'm sure he's expressing the view of the sceptics, though it could have been clearer Grin
"I'm thinking this scheme only has -1 or 1 week left"

I guess the sarcasm was buried in 2 characters?
guruvan

Activity: 532
Merit: 500

View Profile
August 10, 2012, 12:40:38 PM

I'm seriously hoping the sarcasm generator on kluge's machine is malfunctioning. The comment was that he's gonna put 15-20% back into pirate after vegas happened.

memvola

Activity: 938
Merit: 1002

View Profile
August 10, 2012, 01:08:17 PM

I'm seriously hoping the sarcasm generator on kluge's machine is malfunctioning.

I think it's functioning just fine. Smiley

In one year from now, there will be a total of approximately 11.2 million BTC in existence 3.

Does not compute.

Any ordinary investor already knows that before investing. Even if some small number of them might have missed it, this "maths education" has been given so many times in so many related and unrelated threads that I want to rip my eyes out. No offense, I wish everyone shared your humble style.
CoinCidental
Legendary

Activity: 1316

Si vis pacem, para bellum

View Profile
August 10, 2012, 01:21:52 PM

Its  pretty incredible that people are STILL investing when the numbers indicate that in 18 months or so Pirate
will have paid out all the bitcoins in existence ............including the ones that havent even been mined yet  Grin
Scott J
Legendary

View Profile
August 10, 2012, 01:25:06 PM

Its  pretty incredible that people are STILL investing when the numbers indicate that in 18 months or so Pirate
will have paid out all the bitcoins in existence ............including the ones that havent even been mined yet  Grin
Are you aware that interest rates are flexible?
Kluge
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1218
Merit: 1015

View Profile
August 10, 2012, 01:43:29 PM

SGI posted a quarterly %RoE of -61.72%. In less than a century, they will have consumed all of the financial world with losses! It'll be even BIGGER than the persistently-looming derivatives nightmare!

Over the past decade, the prime rate has decreased at a relative rate of around 10% per year, so pretty soon, we're going to start seeing negative interest rates for the common man, followed by a devastating deflationary spiral to collapse. Basically - by 2050, the interest rate on your mortgage will be -30.5% APY.
rjk

Activity: 448
Merit: 250

1ngldh

View Profile
August 10, 2012, 01:54:32 PM

Basically - by 2050, the interest rate on your mortgage will be -30.5% APY.
Woot

Mining Rig Extraordinaire - the Trenton BPX6806 18-slot PCIe backplane [PICS] Dead project is dead, all hail the coming of the mighty ASIC!
CoinCidental
Legendary

Activity: 1316

Si vis pacem, para bellum

View Profile
August 10, 2012, 02:08:09 PM

Are you aware hes also throwing out ADDITIONAL % bonus "incentives"  for people who keep their balance at a high level  and dont withdraw it ?
imsaguy
General failure and former
VIP

Activity: 574
Merit: 500

Don't send me a pm unless you gpg encrypt it.

View Profile WWW
August 10, 2012, 02:10:47 PM

Are you aware hes also throwing out ADDITIONAL % bonus "incentives"  for people who keep their balance at a high level  and dont withdraw it ?

Yeah, he's offering bonuses for people that don't deposit more money.. totally ponzi!  Roll Eyes

Coming Soon!™ © imsaguy 2011-2013, All rights reserved.

EIEIO:
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=60117.0

Shades Minoco Collection Thread: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=65989
Payment Address: http://btc.to/5r6
MrTeal
Legendary

Activity: 1274
Merit: 1004

View Profile
August 10, 2012, 02:34:23 PM

Assuming that everyone reinvests all the interest and don't use it for other purposes.
Mageant
Legendary

Activity: 1145
Merit: 1001

View Profile WWW
August 10, 2012, 02:58:47 PM

It's obvious it won't carry on like it is now for another year.

As the amout of Bitcoin that Pirate controls becomes larger we would expect the price to rise. Eventually it would rise faster than Pirate can expand his business. He has said himself the only thing that could stop him would be a sharp rise in the Bitcoin price.

But that does not mean it must end in a catastrope or a default.

Pirate could simply pay a lower yield or stop accepting new deposits and alway pay out the interests.

cjgames.com
Tomatocage
Legendary

Activity: 1554
Merit: 1222

brb keeping up with the Kardashians

View Profile
August 10, 2012, 03:58:09 PM

7% interest a week equals about 3300% a year.

Currently, there seems to be about 400K BTC invested in BTCST 1.

In one year from now, this would be 400K x 34 = 13.6 million BTC 2.

Does not compute.

Explanation of figures:

(1) The 400K is a rough estimation extrapolated from the 26K~28K BTC weekly interest, then again, that pretty much evens out vs the assumption that eventually 100% of all BTC in existence would be invested in BTCST.

(2) 1.07365/7 > 34

(3) 365*24*6*(50*4+25*½)
LOL 1 YEAR?!?  Something like that wouldn't last 3 MONTHS hahah

Recommended Exchanges: Binance.com | CelsiusNetwork
GPG ID: 4880D85C | 1% Escrow | 8% IPO/ICO Escrow services Temporarily Closed | Bitcointalk is the ONLY place where I use this name (No Skype/IRC/YIM/AIM/etc) | 13CsmTqGNwvFXb7tD9yFvJcEYCDTB8wQTS | Beware of these SCAM sites! | *Sponsored Link
Kazimir (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
August 10, 2012, 04:59:30 PM

LOL 1 YEAR?!?  Something like that wouldn't last 3 MONTHS hahah
FYI, it has been up and running for 8 (eight) months so far, sir.

theymos
Administrator
Legendary

Activity: 5236
Merit: 13088

View Profile
August 10, 2012, 05:36:44 PM

It's not impossible for him to pay more BTC than exists over a long period of time. He could, for example, pay out 1 million BTC, buy that BTC back using USD, and repeat until he's paid the ~13 million BTC. Something like that could happen legitimately with a gigantic, extremely productive company (the company would buy the BTC back with its products instead of USD). MtGox has probably sent more BTC than exists.

1NXYoJ5xU91Jp83XfVMHwwTUyZFK64BoAD
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: