Bitcoin Forum
May 09, 2024, 12:52:54 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Here's why BTCST won't last for one year  (Read 3093 times)
Mageant
Legendary

Activity: 1145
Merit: 1001

View Profile WWW
August 10, 2012, 06:41:13 PM

LOL 1 YEAR?!?  Something like that wouldn't last 3 MONTHS hahah
FYI, it has been up and running for 8 (eight) months so far, sir.

Actually at least 10. He started in November in these forums last year.

He claims he actually started the business even a few months before that with his personal money and that of friends.

cjgames.com

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
There are several different types of Bitcoin clients. The most secure are full nodes like Bitcoin Core, but full nodes are more resource-heavy, and they must do a lengthy initial syncing process. As a result, lightweight clients with somewhat less security are commonly used.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
farfiman
Legendary

Activity: 1449
Merit: 1001

View Profile
August 11, 2012, 08:42:12 AM

MtGox has probably sent more BTC than exists.

According to bitcoincharts.com MtGox's 1 year Bitcoin volume is 22,110,652.92!

Everybody knows Mtgox is a ponzi as well  Tongue

"We are just fools. We insanely believe that we can replace one politician with another and something will really change. The ONLY possible way to achieve change is to change the very system of how government functions. Until we are prepared to do that, suck it up for your future belongs to the madness and corruption of politicians."
Martin Armstrong
CoinCidental
Legendary

Activity: 1316
Merit: 1000

Si vis pacem, para bellum

View Profile
August 11, 2012, 08:54:21 AM

MtGox has probably sent more BTC than exists.

According to bitcoincharts.com MtGox's 1 year Bitcoin volume is 22,110,652.92!

Everybody knows Mtgox is a ponzi as well  Tongue

ponzi no ,but manipulating prices with "glitches" ? maybe
makomk

Activity: 686
Merit: 564

View Profile
August 12, 2012, 06:22:40 PM

It's not impossible for him to pay more BTC than exists over a long period of time. He could, for example, pay out 1 million BTC, buy that BTC back using USD, and repeat until he's paid the ~13 million BTC. Something like that could happen legitimately with a gigantic, extremely productive company (the company would buy the BTC back with its products instead of USD). MtGox has probably sent more BTC than exists.
He'd have to be making even more money than would be required to pay back the 7% weekly interest in order to manage that, though. Think about what someone buying up a substantial proportion of Mt Gox's normal annual volume would do to the Bitcoin price...

Quad XC6SLX150 Board: 860 MHash/s or so.
SIGS ABOUT BUTTERFLY LABS ARE PAID ADS
mb300sd
Legendary

Activity: 1260
Merit: 1000

Drunk Posts

View Profile WWW
August 13, 2012, 04:43:04 AM

Buying/selling BTC at a 10% profit is very much a possibility. as seen in https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=99286.0

just sayin..

Also see the prices the moneypak vendors on silk road sell for..

Pirate could very possibly be doing the same on a much larger scale, and it wouldn't show on the exchanges.

1D7FJWRzeKa4SLmTznd3JpeNU13L1ErEco
Maged
Legendary

Activity: 1204
Merit: 1015

View Profile
August 13, 2012, 04:57:09 AM
Last edit: August 13, 2012, 05:09:51 AM by Maged

Pirate could very possibly be doing the same on a much larger scale, and it wouldn't show on the exchanges.
By making this claim you are saying that the offers that are publicly posted are a very small minority of all such transactions that take place at that valuation. As such, you are also claiming that many people exist that are directly using Pirate or there are a few mega-investors who give away 10% just because they can. Either way, not one single person has ever claimed to use Pirate's business. Additionally, if that is his business, why have none of his competitors who are doing these transactions more publicly not making this kind of money?

Seriously consider those thoughts. We can speculate what his business is all we want, but we need to wonder: why haven't we heard of a single customer?

finkleshnorts

Activity: 336
Merit: 250

View Profile
August 13, 2012, 05:07:41 AM

By making this claim you are saying that the offers that are publicly posted are a very small minority of all such transactions that take place at that valuation. As such, you are also claiming that many people exist that are directly using Pirate or there are a few mega-investors who give away 10% just because they can. Either way, not one single person has ever claimed to use Pirate's business. Additionally, if that is his business, why have none of his competitors who are doing these transactions more publicly not making this kind of money?

Seriously consider those thoughts. We can speculate what his business is all we want, but we need to wonder: why we haven't heard of a single customer?

Great point.
imsaguy
General failure and former
VIP

Activity: 574
Merit: 500

Don't send me a pm unless you gpg encrypt it.

View Profile WWW
August 13, 2012, 05:45:42 AM

Seriously consider those thoughts. We can speculate what his business is all we want, but we need to wonder: why haven't we heard of a single customer?

Why doesn't the mystery miner that controls an extreme amount of hash and shows up periodically ever surface making claims or even interact on this forum?

A lack of interaction on this forum certainly doesn't mean something doesn't exist.  Contrary to some opinions, this forum isn't the center of the bitcoin universe.

Coming Soon!™ © imsaguy 2011-2013, All rights reserved.

EIEIO:
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=60117.0

Shades Minoco Collection Thread: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=65989
Payment Address: http://btc.to/5r6
Bitcoin Oz

Wat

View Profile WWW
August 13, 2012, 05:50:10 AM

Theres only one entity that would waste 10% irrationally and thats the government.

Smiley

P4man

Activity: 518

View Profile
August 13, 2012, 06:48:37 AM

Why doesn't the mystery miner that controls an extreme amount of hash and shows up periodically ever surface

He has surfaced. I talked to him on IRC, and even posted some screenshots of his alleged botnet on the forum somewhere.

But thats besides the point. Someone controlling a botnet has no reason to interact with the bitcoin community. Someone buying or selling coins on a massive scale and overpaying, literally, to the tune of hundreds of thousands of dollars, would have every interest in seeking competitive alternatives.

imsaguy
VIP

View Profile WWW
August 13, 2012, 06:55:51 AM

But thats besides the point. Someone controlling a botnet has no reason to interact with the bitcoin community. Someone buying or selling coins on a massive scale and overpaying, literally, to the tune of hundreds of thousands of dollars, would have every interest in seeking competitive alternatives.

Or perhaps said buyer doesn't want to deal with the flakes on this forum, instead dealing with a specific person who might cater to their specific needs and doesn't ask a bunch of questions and therefor paying them well for it.

EIEIO:

mp420

Activity: 501

View Profile
August 13, 2012, 08:24:21 AM

Or perhaps said buyer doesn't want to deal with the flakes on this forum, instead dealing with a specific person who might cater to their specific needs and doesn't ask a bunch of questions and therefor paying them well for it.

Even if that were true it's not plausible that Pirate would pay such a generous interest. His "benefactor" could have gotten him a fiat loan of $2 million at less than 3% annual interest rate and he's choosing to pay a thousand times that, in a currency that's continually appreciating against fiat.
Bitcoin Oz

Wat

View Profile WWW
August 13, 2012, 08:27:15 AM

That is irrational behaviour. Something only an entity that doesnt care about the cost would do such as the state.....

Maged
Legendary

View Profile
August 13, 2012, 03:59:51 PM

By saying this you are then claiming that Pirate's business is only used by a few very rich people, not many moderately rich people. I don't know about you, but whenever I've done business with just a few large customers, they very quickly pushed me into receiving lower and lower profit margins by percentage. In a real business, that's not that big of a deal since I'm still making more money in terms of amount I'm making, but Pirate needs to pay people back in terms of a percent. Now, again, in a normal business, that isn't a big deal because you advertise and find more customers, but there is no evidence that Pirate is doing that.

I'm not claiming that everything happens on this forum, but like with the mysteryminer example, I'm claiming that someone here would know something.

imsaguy
VIP

View Profile WWW
August 13, 2012, 04:06:12 PM

I'm not claiming that everything happens on this forum, but like with the mysteryminer example, I'm claiming that someone here would know something.

Not everyone has a big mouth and goes blabbing.. Roll Eyes  There's probably money to be had to keep one's mouth shut.

For a while there was a guy named rubberchicken on irc who claimed to control (and seemed to back it up) a large number of coins.  He was around a bunch and then disappeared.  There's nothing to say there aren't more of those types of guys out there.

Oh and if I had to guess just based on the estimated volume of pirate's business, I'd tend to say it was skewed towards fewer, larger persons, but I really have no idea.  If there were only a few, it would explain why there aren't people talking about it. 

EIEIO:

rjk

Activity: 448
Merit: 250

1ngldh

View Profile
August 13, 2012, 04:18:25 PM

For a while there was a guy named rubberchicken on irc who claimed to control (and seemed to back it up) a large number of coins.  He was around a bunch and then disappeared.  There's nothing to say there aren't more of those types of guys out there.
Hey I remember him; he claimed to have purchased dollars.com for some exorbitant amount and was pretty awesome (and foul). Wonder where he went.

Mining Rig Extraordinaire - the Trenton BPX6806 18-slot PCIe backplane [PICS] Dead project is dead, all hail the coming of the mighty ASIC!
Maged
Legendary

View Profile
August 14, 2012, 12:40:47 AM

Oh and if I had to guess just based on the estimated volume of pirate's business, I'd tend to say it was skewed towards fewer, larger persons, but I really have no idea.  If there were only a few, it would explain why there aren't people talking about it. 
My thoughts exactly. It just isn't possible that he's dealing with many people. So, let's assume that he is dealing with 20 people. We know that Pirate needs to use most of his reserves, otherwise he wouldn't have borrowed anything. For simplicity, let's say that is 90% of his investments. My guess is that 90% is around 400k BTC right now. Let's assume that he charges 10% on all transactions within his business. Let's also assume that transactions are only done with people once a week.

That's 20k BTC that each person is transacting per week, or almost a quarter of a million dollars. Again, this is per person, per week.

Ok, so maybe this is happening more than once a week. In that case, he can get away with charging lower fees. However, he could also get away with having a lower reserve, so that means that far more money than that is going through him each week. You can see how quickly this gets insane

imsaguy
VIP

View Profile WWW
August 14, 2012, 12:44:35 AM

My thoughts exactly. It just isn't possible that he's dealing with many people. So, let's assume that he is dealing with 20 people. We know that Pirate needs to use most of his reserves, otherwise he wouldn't have borrowed anything. For simplicity, let's say that is 90% of his investments. My guess is that 90% is around 400k BTC right now. Let's assume that he charges 10% on all transactions within his business. Let's also assume that transactions are only done with people once a week.

That's 20k BTC that each person is transacting per week, or almost a quarter of a million dollars. Again, this is per person, per week.

Ok, so maybe this is happening more than once a week. In that case, he can get away with charging lower fees. However, he could also get away with having a lower reserve, so that means that far more money than that is going through him each week. You can see how quickly this gets insane

At one point, someone mentioned futures, or some twist of the concept, as a possible explanation.  That'd explain the reserve requirement.  He might not need to have them on a daily basis, but must have a large quantity on the off chance someone actually wants to take possession of said coins.

EIEIO:

Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  

Jump to: