Bitcoin Forum
May 06, 2024, 08:24:36 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Scam accusation : FuckIdolPlus - Illegally selling Microsoft Product keys  (Read 2092 times)
ABitNut (OP)

Activity: 764
Merit: 500

I'm a cynic, I'm a quaint

View Profile
March 23, 2015, 02:01:49 AM

Any chance you could post a link that backs up the fact that it is against the EULA/TOS to sell MSDN subscriptions like this?

They actually have a licensing white paper. You can download it from here: https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=13350

The relevant part is here:
... Be careful to not confuse
activation with licensing; activation has no way of determining whether you are licensed to use the product (such as
Windows 8, offered through an MSDN subscription) or whether you’re using the software in a way that is allowed under
your license (such as using Windows 8 for developing an application)...

Having a product key does not relate to having a licence to use the software. So it would be piracy.

LOL not stolen, but as the OP said these keys are in the grey area.

It's not a grey area. Just because you didn't caught doesn't mean it's not a crime. The chance of being caught is admittedly very small, that is probably why you don't have an issue breaking the law so easily.

To me, scam means you give them money and don't get anything in return.

This doesn't seem like so much of a scam; buyers know (or, at least SHOULD know based on the price they're paying) that they're buying something that is suspect. You might not like that, but unless Microsoft or the BSA comes down on Theymos, I don't see the "harm".

There's absolutely nothing different between this and the multitudes of Netflix logins, duty free cigarettes, HBOGO accounts, and all the rest. Or do you go after each of those sellers accounts too?

And yes, I know my account is a newbie, but I am certainly not a sock puppet. Just wondering why you're choosing to make a big deal on this one specific case.

You have a very naive definition of scam. The best scams do deliver, at least for a while. It's a confidence game. In this case the scam is that the keys may allow you to activate your product but in no ways allow you licence to use it. This means that the software may fail at any time and that the buyer is potentially liable for software piracy.

Good to see you have joined the ranks of self proclaimed "scambusters" nut. Keep working hard and some day you too can have no life.

NOTE: Selling these keys is not a CRIMINAL act. At worst it may be considered a violation of terms of service which would be a CIVIL claim. The title of this op itself is misleading.

I used to mention before that I am not a lawyer. Software piracy is illegal in many jurisdictions. Selling these keys is against to EULA/TOS. I strongly disagree with your assessment of the worst case scenario. The worst case scenario is more like a buyer gets sued, found guilty and will have to pay a multi-million dollar fine. It has happened for people who downloaded a few songs. Are you telling me, definitively, that it will not happen to someone using unlicensed Windows, Word, Outlook, Powerpoint and Excel?
I can not definitively say that selling keys is also illegal, but I reckon enabling piracy will in many jurisdiction also be plain illegal. In addition all the sellers are misleading their "customers" with false claims. ("Legit", "lifetime warranty" and what not). See below for me having a life...

I also wonder why do you target this specific individual? From what I could see he is no different that any other MSDN dealer out there, and we have 10+ of such dealers here on bitcointalk. If you are really "scambusters" please go against every single one of them. Now you are just making other sellers profit more.

If you look at my history I've been posting replies in other sales threads as well. I am not singling out FuckIdolPlus. The other sellers, though, took my comments and left it at that. FuckIdolPlus blew a fuse and that caused some extra attention. Also, I am a single individual, I do have a life and I don't have time to chase down every shady business on here.

I choose to pick on those selling Starbucks gift cards (because they cause credit card fraud and do harm to individuals) and Microsoft product key sellers. My approach is fairly simple: I make it explicit that what they're doing is fraudulent. If, at any time, an authority goes after these dealer and/or their customers they will have a hard time claiming ignorance.

If no authority will ever take action then so be it.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
There are several different types of Bitcoin clients. The most secure are full nodes like Bitcoin Core, which will follow the rules of the network no matter what miners do. Even if every miner decided to create 1000 bitcoins per block, full nodes would stick to the rules and reject those blocks.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
TECSHARE
In memoriam
Legendary

Activity: 3318
Merit: 1958

First Exclusion Ever

View Profile WWW
March 23, 2015, 07:13:16 AM

Having a product key does not relate to having a licence to use the software. So it would be piracy.

piracy = making illegal copies of software (not illegal in all jurisdictions BTW)
Using educational versions of keys  = a terms of service violation, not software piracy. A user may very well have a legally produced MS issued copy of the software disk.

It's not a grey area. Just because you didn't caught doesn't mean it's not a crime. The chance of being caught is admittedly very small, that is probably why you don't have an issue breaking the law so easily.

No, but it not being a crime means it is not a crime.

Good to see you have joined the ranks of self proclaimed "scambusters" nut. Keep working hard and some day you too can have no life.

NOTE: Selling these keys is not a CRIMINAL act. At worst it may be considered a violation of terms of service which would be a CIVIL claim. The title of this op itself is misleading.

I used to mention before that I am not a lawyer. Software piracy is illegal in many jurisdictions. Selling these keys is against to EULA/TOS. I strongly disagree with your assessment of the worst case scenario. The worst case scenario is more like a buyer gets sued, found guilty and will have to pay a multi-million dollar fine. It has happened for people who downloaded a few songs. Are you telling me, definitively, that it will not happen to someone using unlicensed Windows, Word, Outlook, Powerpoint and Excel?
I can not definitively say that selling keys is also illegal, but I reckon enabling piracy will in many jurisdiction also be plain illegal. In addition all the sellers are misleading their "customers" with false claims. ("Legit", "lifetime warranty" and what not). See below for me having a life...
Violations of civil agreements and potential lawsuits ARE NOT CRIMINAL LAW. Please reference actual criminal statues under which you believe "enabling piracy" is made illegal.

I also wonder why do you target this specific individual? From what I could see he is no different that any other MSDN dealer out there, and we have 10+ of such dealers here on bitcointalk. If you are really "scambusters" please go against every single one of them. Now you are just making other sellers profit more.

If you look at my history I've been posting replies in other sales threads as well. I am not singling out FuckIdolPlus. The other sellers, though, took my comments and left it at that. FuckIdolPlus blew a fuse and that caused some extra attention. Also, I am a single individual, I do have a life and I don't have time to chase down every shady business on here.

I choose to pick on those selling Starbucks gift cards (because they cause credit card fraud and do harm to individuals) and Microsoft product key sellers. My approach is fairly simple: I make it explicit that what they're doing is fraudulent. If, at any time, an authority goes after these dealer and/or their customers they will have a hard time claiming ignorance.

Tell me please, what evidence do you have that what they are doing is fraudulent other than your own power of speculation? Why is it that harmed users can not leave negative ratings for themselves? What do you feel gives you the authority to preemptively harm the reputations of retailers you merely speculate MAY be engaged in illegal activity without actual evidence of this?
ABitNut (OP)

Activity: 764
Merit: 500

I'm a cynic, I'm a quaint

View Profile
March 23, 2015, 09:20:35 AM

piracy = making illegal copies of software (not illegal in all jurisdictions BTW)
Using educational versions of keys  = a terms of service violation, not software piracy. A user may very well have a legally produced MS issued copy of the software disk.

Software piracy is using software without having a proper licence. Which is the case for people buying these keys.

Software piracy is a crime. I said it again.

Violations of civil agreements and potential lawsuits ARE NOT CRIMINAL LAW. Please reference actual criminal statues under which you believe "enabling piracy" is made illegal.

I am not a lawyer. If you want to know the exact legal definitions consult your lawyer. Or pay me a good lawyers fee + 10% and I'll hire one for you to find out. Or just go sell keys like all the sellers here without hiding your identity and see what happens if Microsoft files a claim. If you really think that being a little ring leader in a software piracy case is not going to get you convicted you might end up disappointed/incarcerated.

Tell me please, what evidence do you have that what they are doing is fraudulent other than your own power of speculation? Why is it that harmed users can not leave negative ratings for themselves? What do you feel gives you the authority to preemptively harm the reputations of retailers you merely speculate MAY be engaged in illegal activity without actual evidence of this?
What part of, "Here have this $100+ product for $5" makes you believe they're honest sellers? Whether people buying those keys leave feedback or not does not relate to me giving feedback. And I am not "merely" speculating they are involved in distrustful business. I stand by my feedback. You can go on and refuse to see what is right in front of. That's fine with me.
FuckIdolPlus

Activity: 126
Merit: 100

View Profile
March 23, 2015, 09:29:34 AM

Sir you are just wasting your time engaging with this arsehole. I think you should just ignore him. He'll get tired pretty soon Smiley
Regards

Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  

Jump to: