Bitcoin Forum
May 10, 2024, 04:10:09 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Sent 0.3 from Bitcoin-Qt. Transaction shows it deducted 0.47!!!  (Read 2353 times)
yeponlyone

Activity: 504
Merit: 500

View Profile
March 20, 2015, 01:35:03 PM

Do you think it will be fine? What should be next steps then?

As said before, you don't need to download the blockchain again.

1. Install bitcoin-core
2. Transfer your recovered wallet.dat to the bitcoin-core folder
3. Launch bitcoin core, Open the debug console
4. run walletpassphrase <passphrase> <timeout>    (you can skip this one of you have not encrypted your wallet file, timeout could be e.g. "300", which is in second)
5. run dumpprivkey 1DXKUMfM9UPqnHFZbvi5R9g7uBRchm8Gio
6. Save the returned private key, and your have recovered your 0.17837798 BTC

Good luck Smiley

Thank you so much for the steps and all your help guys!

I have recovered the wallet.dat, private key, imported it to Electrum and transferred it back to my original account. Grin

Now, I need to read about this 'Change' address. When did that happen? Since Bitcoin-core 0.10 version or from the beginning? I need to understand this thing, and I best understand from videos. Any related video to this topic? Tongue

Cheers!
Good to see that you have recovered it. Bitcoin core automatically pre-generated 100 addresses and some of those are used as change address. Therefore, per 100 transaction, you should backup the wallet.dat to prevent losing any BTC when recovering the wallet later on.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
grewalsatinder (OP)

Activity: 186
Merit: 100

Blockchain Technology Enthusiast, IT Pro

View Profile
March 21, 2015, 12:17:10 AM

1. Install bitcoin-core
4. run walletpassphrase <passphrase> <timeout>    (you can skip this one of you have not encrypted your wallet file, timeout could be e.g. "300", which is in second)

Good luck Smiley

I have recovered the wallet.dat, private key, imported it to Electrum and transferred it back to my original account. Grin

Now, I need to read about this 'Change' address. When did that happen? Since Bitcoin-core 0.10 version or from the beginning? I need to understand this thing, and I best understand from videos. Any related video to this topic? Tongue

Cheers!
Good to see that you have recovered it. Bitcoin core automatically pre-generated 100 addresses and some of those are used as change address. Therefore, per 100 transaction, you should backup the wallet.dat to prevent losing any BTC when recovering the wallet later on.

Wow! 100 change addresses!!
I only took backup of my blockchian.info address as private key. Secured my wallet.dat file now too.

Cheers! Smiley

countryfree
Legendary

Activity: 3052
Merit: 1047

Your country may be your worst enemy

View Profile
March 21, 2015, 01:06:55 AM

I have uninstalled Bitcoin-Qt and the database!!!...

That was your only mistake. As a rule of thumb, when you make a mistake or see something you don't understand, don't ever uninstall everything. You'll risk losing all chances to understand what happened. And in that case, you may have lost money, too!

I used to be a citizen and a taxpayer. Those days are long gone.
viboracecata
Legendary

Activity: 1316
Merit: 1000

Varanida : Fair & Transparent Digital Ecosystem

View Profile
March 21, 2015, 02:47:41 AM

From here we may say bitcoin has some barriers for common person to use, destroy old transactions input and generate new one surely have some obviously advantages, should the developing team hide all these details and convert it to the style of the common bank transations then common person can easily understand

iBuilding A Better Interneti
━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━ ━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━

█b
▐█=
║█
██                                         ¡▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄┌
██M                                  ╒▄▄▄▄█▀    ▂▂ ╙▀▀▆▄
██▌                                ╓, ,██╨      ▀▀▀    ╜▀█▌
███                                ▀▀██╙     ▄▄▄▄▄      ╓█L
█ █▌                            ▄▄▄▄█▀          └▀▀▀▀█Φ█▀"
█▌ █▄                            ██▀           ▄█▀
▐▌  ▀▌                       ▀▄██▀            ▄▀
▐█     ▂▂▂                ▄  ▄█▀           ▄▄▀
 █▌  ╙▀▀▀▀▀█▄         ▄   ███▀     ▁▂▃▄▄▄█▀▀
  █▄        █▌    █▄  ██▄█▀        ▔▔╙▀▐█
   █▄       █▌ ▀▀████▀▀▀               ▐▌
    ▀█     █▀                          ▐▌
     ╙█▄  ▄▌                        ╓█ ▐█
       └▀██  ╓▄▄µ╓▄▄µ            ,▄█▀┘  █▌    ▄▄ ╓▄▄µ
         ██▄█▀▀███▀▀█▄       ╓▄▄█▀▀      ▀█▄█▀▀▀██▄╙▀█▄▄
          ▀╙    ▀▀▀  ▀▀▀  ▀▀▀▀╙           `      "▀▀  └╙
You Can See Me Now, Hi :}
VARANIDA

▄██   ▄███▄
              ▄███████  ██
              ██    ▀████▀
             ██
  ▄▄  ▄▄█████████████▄▄  ▄▄
▄███████████████████████████▄
█████████████████████████████
▀███████    █████    ███████▀
  ▀█████    █████    █████▀
   ███████████████████████
    █████▄  ▀▀▀▀▀  ▄█████
     ▀█████▄▄▄▄▄▄▄█████▀
        ▀▀█████████▀▀
|Hello Again
GWhitePaperG
GAnn ThreadG
yeponlyone

View Profile
March 21, 2015, 05:59:12 AM

1. Install bitcoin-core

Good luck Smiley

Cheers!

Wow! 100 change addresses!!
I only took backup of my blockchian.info address as private key. Secured my wallet.dat file now too.

Cheers! Smiley
For every one transaction, one of the change address will be used to ensure anonymity. blockchain.info doesn't specially use change address AFAIK.
shorena
Copper Member
Legendary

Activity: 1498
Merit: 1520

No I dont escrow anymore.

View Profile WWW
March 21, 2015, 08:33:06 AM

From here we may say bitcoin has some barriers for common person to use, destroy old transactions input and generate new one surely have some obviously advantages, should the developing team hide all these details and convert it to the style of the common bank transations then common person can easily understand

Id say this incident is an argument that bitcoin core already hides the technical details very well. The OP did only see on a blockexplorer that some coins have been send "elsewhere" and the wallet just displayed the correct balance as you would expect from a bank account. How much further can you hide change than in bitcoin core? With the default settings you will never see the "change" label anywhere as far as I am aware.

Im not really here, its just your imagination.
TookDk
Legendary

Activity: 1960
Merit: 1062

One coin to rule them all

View Profile WWW
March 21, 2015, 08:47:26 AM

Id say this incident is an argument that bitcoin core already hides the technical details very well. The OP did only see on a blockexplorer that some coins have been send "elsewhere" and the wallet just displayed the correct balance as you would expect from a bank account. How much further can you hide change than in bitcoin core? With the default settings you will never see the "change" label anywhere as far as I am aware.

Yes, this is correct. All the confusion with "change" is always when people look at the blockchain and don't understand it.
The bitcoin-core does not show anything about "change" as shorena point out, you need to enable "advance coin control" to see the change address.
The average user should not look at the blockchain at all, it should just look at the balance in the wallet..

Cryptography is one of the few things you can truly trust.
grewalsatinder (OP)

Activity: 186
Merit: 100

Blockchain Technology Enthusiast, IT Pro

View Profile
March 21, 2015, 12:02:13 PM

There's something else I noticed using Blockchain.info, Electrum, or any other wallets agains Bitcoin-Qt.

When I sent payment using Bitcoin-Qt It only used few bits like 100s but when I send payments using any other wallet, that always uses 10,000 bits or so. I get it from Bitcoin-Qt wallet options that to speed the transaction, like more the fee quicker the transaction is processed.

But, was just wondering if it's still possible with electrum I could have the option to use lower fee than 10,000.

The reason is in case if anybody (eg. parents) who aren't much techie, and just to give them a quick start give them more than better option, with lower fee (bit slow is Okay).

ebliever
Legendary

Activity: 1708
Merit: 1035

View Profile
March 21, 2015, 04:50:29 PM

There's something else I noticed using Blockchain.info, Electrum, or any other wallets agains Bitcoin-Qt.

When I sent payment using Bitcoin-Qt It only used few bits like 100s but when I send payments using any other wallet, that always uses 10,000 bits or so. I get it from Bitcoin-Qt wallet options that to speed the transaction, like more the fee quicker the transaction is processed.

But, was just wondering if it's still possible with electrum I could have the option to use lower fee than 10,000.

The reason is in case if anybody (eg. parents) who aren't much techie, and just to give them a quick start give them more than better option, with lower fee (bit slow is Okay).

If I understand you correctly, yes, in Electrum you can set whatever fee you want. Just go to the Tools-->Preferences menu and you'll see Transaction Fee and can edit it.

Luke 12:15-21

Ephesians 2:8-9
yeponlyone

View Profile
March 21, 2015, 05:00:08 PM

The minimum relay fee is 1000 satoshi. You can select custom fees in blockchain.info. However, the lower fee you go, the longer time it may take to confirm. You need a high priority, more than 57,600,000 for it to be confirmed within 2-3blocks.
shorena
Copper Member
Legendary

Activity: 1498
Merit: 1520

No I dont escrow anymore.

View Profile WWW
March 21, 2015, 05:44:55 PM

-snip-
The minimum relay fee is 1000 satoshi. You can select custom fees in blockchain.info. However, the lower fee you go, the longer time it may take to confirm. You need a high priority, more than 57,600,000 for it to be confirmed within 2-3blocks.

Just a little addition:

This greatly depends on the number of transactions out there and how high your priority is in comparisson to them. Each block has 50Kbyte for transactions without fee. The transactions get sorted by priority. Thus if there is a high amount of transactions with a higher priority than yours it will take a while to get confirmed. 2-3 blocks matches roughly with my experience of high priority transactions without fee, but I typcially do them over night anyway.

Im not really here, its just your imagination.
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  

Jump to: