Bitcoin Forum
June 20, 2024, 07:13:52 AM *
News: Voting for pizza day contest

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 3 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: What do you do with a litecoin?  (Read 4644 times)
madwaloo (OP)

Activity: 7
Merit: 0

View Profile
August 10, 2012, 10:06:36 PM

I'm a total newbie and non-techie/non-gamer.  Love the idea of cryptocurrencies. 

Please excuse my ignorance, but why does anyone want litecoins?  I know you can sell them for bitcoins, which is what I plan to do.  But who would want to buy my coins and why?

Thanks in advance for info.

Bitcoin address:   115stzbruWvMSsVFo4JgumMR7KUziMaQer
Litecoin address:  LbdvgPAmdUDz8qhuseGdaa5CtCZBK4P3KA
Durendal

Activity: 12

View Profile WWW
August 10, 2012, 10:27:27 PM

Because they act as an alternative to Bitcoins. As the analogy goes, gold is to silver as Bitcoins are to Litecoins. I suspect once ASICs hit the market and GPU Bitcoin mining becomes obsolete, Litecoins might rise in popularity since people with GPU miners will switch to mining Litecoins.
molecular
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 2772
Merit: 1019

View Profile
August 10, 2012, 10:28:09 PM

I think people buy litecoins to sell them to even bigger idiots.

EDIT: I'm not sure, though. There might be something to it. Maybe at some point litecoin will have some sort of an advantage (although I can't think of one now)

Disclaimer: I still hold some LTC since the early days of litecoin.

PGP key molecular F9B70769 fingerprint 9CDD C0D3 20F8 279F 6BE0  3F39 FC49 2362 F9B7 0769
matthewh3
Legendary

Activity: 1372
Merit: 1003

View Profile WWW
August 10, 2012, 11:05:54 PM

I'm a total newbie and non-techie/non-gamer.  Love the idea of cryptocurrencies. 

Please excuse my ignorance, but why does anyone want litecoins?  I know you can sell them for bitcoins, which is what I plan to do.  But who would want to buy my coins and why?

Thanks in advance for info.

Bitcoin address:   115stzbruWvMSsVFo4JgumMR7KUziMaQer
Litecoin address:  LbdvgPAmdUDz8qhuseGdaa5CtCZBK4P3KA

You could argue the same about bitcoin.  Bitcoin is just a more mature and more used alternative to litecoin.  Yes more merchants accept bitcoin but litecoin proliferation is growing and it's still under one year old. 

BlackBison

Activity: 250
Merit: 250

View Profile
August 10, 2012, 11:26:40 PM

you cant really do anything with it right now except sell it or hoard it.

regardless of what the majority of the closed minded bitcoin oligarchy have to say, if bitcoin is to survive in the future there will HAVE TO BE competitors to challenge it. all true innovations sprout copycats and rivals, some of which might even supercede the original.

if there are no other successful cryptocurrencies then the idea is not going to have any legs and bitcoin will eventually fade away.

so far litecoin is the only real challenger (and it aint much of one right now to be honest). needs more services to accept it..

ethanblack

Activity: 8

View Profile
August 11, 2012, 01:24:48 AM

In theory diversification, but in practice litecoin offers very little of this.
finkleshnorts

Activity: 336

View Profile
August 11, 2012, 01:50:05 AM
Last edit: August 11, 2012, 02:15:14 AM by honest bob

Litecoin has, as far as I know, zero unique features. They just changed some of bitcoin's numbers around. Faster confirmation times is the main selling point, which isn't much of one.

You can say that bitcoin and litecoin both are bought by people willing to sell to bigger idiots, it's true. I do it with bitcoin (I'm a bigger "idiot" than the people who discovered bitcoin in 2009, lots of people have still never heard of bitcoin). But the whole point of bitcoin is missed whenever that argument is made.

The greatest value of bitcoin, imo, is it's revolutionary protocol. It is potentially very useful to people who do not speculate at all (in other words it can be useful to people who only plan to hold bitcoins for a few hours). It can be used for transmitting money internationally for cheap and for chargeback-proof payments, to name a couple of things. Litecoin offers NOTHING new in this regard, besides the negligible allure of the idea that if were I to buy a latte in some futuristic world with bitcoins, the coffeeshop could have waited for 75% less time if they had only used litecoins (2.5 minutes is still a long time to be standing at the front of the line at a cash register). Bitcoin has this problem (it can hardly be labeled as such, at this point) nipped in the bud with zipconf and future services.

So yes, it is a much more glaring "pyramid scheme," if you will, than bitcoin is. I realize I could be an "early adopter" of litecoin right now. But I think litecoin is utterly pointless. They have a snazzy slogan, the whole silver thing, which makes sense on the surface. But really, litecoin's allure is actually the misguided notion that by buying litecoins now "while they are cheap," you can be an "early adopter" again, since you missed the boat on bitcoin. It's just pump-and-dump bullshit, man.

It'll putter around for a while, maybe a few years. You could probably profit some on it if you time your moves right.  But it's so unoriginal that it's painful.
betatest512

Activity: 140
Merit: 100

View Profile
August 11, 2012, 02:12:04 AM

i sell them for bitcoins.
bitcool
Legendary

Activity: 1441
Merit: 1000

Live and enjoy experiments

View Profile
August 11, 2012, 02:37:34 AM

For one thing, it provides great opportunities for traders in the cryptocurrency world. Who doesn't love volatility?    Wink

Beyond speculation, what you want to do entirely depends on what you and the other party want to exchange. For example, you could buy silver from me  Grin  https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=98607.0

I still remember when I bought a few hundred dollars worth of bitcoin using Coinpal @ 30c/btc, my friends laughed at me: "what are you going to do with THAT?"

Right now, there aren't many sellers price their goods and service in LTC because it's new and price fluctuates a lot. All currencies are backed by either (governmental) violence, or consensual confidence. The longer Litecoin survives, the more confidence it musters, and the wider adoption it will enjoy.

Of course there's always risk of failure and losing all its value, everybody knows that and the current price reflects the risk to a large degree.     

BTW, after having a few transactions, I do find Litecoin kind of sexy, it's faster, simpler to mine from any PC but more difficult to do as a "professional miner" on a larger scale. Litecoin users seem to be more lighthearted and optimistic too.

Greedi

Activity: 266

LitecoinTalk

View Profile WWW
August 11, 2012, 08:06:05 AM

its not all true what you guys say.. there are more and more services that take LTC

https://github.com/litecoin-project/litecoin/wiki/List-of-Litecoin-related-services

^ and this is just some of them, many is not added yet ^

LitecoinTalk - Sign up today!
Try out LTC-Aarade!
Buy Shares!
MegaBrutal

Activity: 60
Merit: 10

View Profile
August 12, 2012, 01:33:35 PM

I started to mine Litecoins... It doesn't take much energy to mine them, practically it's free. And who knows, maybe its price goes up? I make profit. But if it's not, then I didn't lose much.

BTC: 18nAftZTnH4LjY9fPPow1aF5tGD1JiF7ZH
LTC: LV9MiA3iPVUm8qRFYbLkARuoYwvmHwhWaC

Buy some Negro candies!
btrash

Activity: 25

View Profile
August 12, 2012, 01:40:09 PM

in terms of popularity it seems like its bitcoin or bust

litecoin is mostly supply based (people just want something to do with CPU time) rather than demand based
Sherkel
aka Tombstoner

Activity: 131

View Profile
August 13, 2012, 03:08:11 PM

Speculation is another reason. I got 1000+ while the were closer to 0.001 and now they're closer to 0.004; I also bought some at 0.007 before they dropped. Of course the same kind of speculation can be done with Bitcoin, but the variance and current increase in popularity may attract speculators.

Used to also be good for CPU mining. They're still better than SHA-256d currencies for CPUs, though. I think GPU hostility probably made more laypeople eager to mine and adopt it but that's just me.

What do you get when you cross dominoes and The Matrix?
<A dominatrix!>
bradmurmz

Activity: 205

View Profile WWW
August 13, 2012, 10:25:03 PM

I think litecoins will catch on once bitcoin mining is unprofitable unless you are using an FPGA.
bitarrow

Activity: 184

View Profile
August 13, 2012, 10:30:16 PM

where can you buy LTC ?  only BTC-e ?
Winterfrost

Activity: 690
Merit: 135

★Bitvest.io★ Play Plinko or Invest!

View Profile
August 13, 2012, 11:10:25 PM

where can you buy LTC ?  only BTC-e ?

The only other exchanges for litecoins that I know of are bitparking and Vircurex. Oh, and there's probably a #litecoin-otc IRC channel too.

bitarrow

Activity: 184

View Profile
August 13, 2012, 11:20:46 PM

where can you buy LTC ?  only BTC-e ?

The only other exchanges for litecoins that I know of are bitparking and Vircurex. Oh, and there's probably a #litecoin-otc IRC channel too.
thanks.
ill prolly pick up a few thousand. what the hell, ya never know
AntiCap

Activity: 28

View Profile
August 14, 2012, 06:47:55 AM

Is it still possible to mine litecoins with a regular computer?
Prattler

Activity: 192

View Profile
August 14, 2012, 07:03:05 AM

Only good use for litecoins would be to buy some bitcoins.
AntiCap

Activity: 28

View Profile
August 14, 2012, 07:50:08 AM

How so? Isn't competition a good thing?
Pages: [1] 2 3 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: