Bitcoin Forum
May 05, 2024, 07:59:47 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Astroturfing  (Read 1395 times)
imanikin (OP)

Activity: 702
Merit: 503

View Profile
May 26, 2011, 01:05:24 PM

I think a lot of threads we see here recently are Astroturfing designed to showcase Bitcoin as an instrument useful to criminals and other destructive forces.

IMHO, it's really dumb of the Bitcoin "old-timers" and proponents to continue to get involved in those discussions, and continue to respond to the same accusations for the n-th time.

On such things, it seems best just to let Bitcoin speak for itself, as every other currency does...  Lips sealed

There are several different types of Bitcoin clients. The most secure are full nodes like Bitcoin Core, but full nodes are more resource-heavy, and they must do a lengthy initial syncing process. As a result, lightweight clients with somewhat less security are commonly used.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
elewton

Activity: 407
Merit: 100

DIA | Data infrastructure for DeFi

View Profile
May 26, 2011, 01:34:31 PM

Interesting.
Or journalists going for the "Look what we were able to do" bit.

Horkabork

Activity: 140
Merit: 100

View Profile
May 26, 2011, 03:23:29 PM

Can you give a few specific examples of threads?

Me: 15gbWvpLPfbLJZBsL2u5gkBdL3BUXDbTuF
A goat: http://i52.tinypic.com/34pj4v6.jpg
imanikin (OP)

Activity: 702
Merit: 503

View Profile
June 09, 2011, 07:38:15 PM

Can you give a few specific examples of threads?

It's hard to tell for sure, and impossible to prove; Astroturf is professionally made and meant to look real!  Wink

The ones in general that look suspicious are the one started by newbies, with weird, nonsensical usernames. They obviously don't know much about Bitcoin, yet begin with long, condescending dissertations about why Bitcoin is sure to fail, using arguments already discussed to death in previous threads...  Cheesy

Perhaps, all who care to do it can link here to threads they think might be Astroturf. I'll keep my eye out for specific examples from now on...

BombaUcigasa
Legendary

Activity: 1442
Merit: 1000

View Profile
June 09, 2011, 07:59:19 PM

There is a difference between "things that harm people" and "things that are illegal".

I don't use drugs, I won't buy them (I'm limited to caffeine, very cheap), but I can't say I have something against people that prefer more "intense" stimulants and experiences.

Whoever thinks they need to punish bitcoin and it's users because they don't want drug consumers to buy drugs is "harming people" even if he's acting "in legality".
gigitrix

Activity: 630
Merit: 500

View Profile
June 09, 2011, 08:01:24 PM

I don't think it's astroturfing, I think it's a certain type of new user.

They seem to come here, not even knowing what a "blockchain" is, and yet they start [RFC] threads in the technical discussion section, it's quite amusing Cheesy
Dhomochevsky

Activity: 242
Merit: 251

View Profile
June 09, 2011, 09:02:01 PM

I think astroturfing on the official forums of the very thing you're trying to discredit is a pretty counterproductive thing to do. You're bound to hit the most hardcore wall of fans you could hit. You'll hardly convert people here away from the currency. Well, at least most of them. If astroturfing is your game and you have the funds for it, paying off bloggers, spreading rumors and half-truths on various other message boards and generally spreading misinformation through more mainstream channels would yield a much better result.

So no, I don't think naysayers here are astroturfing, I think they're just misinformed people or just trolls trying to have some fun. And I can say flamebaiting on this forum is extremely easy. It's like most of the populace here is in their teens...

...oh wait.
giszmo
Legendary

Activity: 1862
Merit: 1105

WalletScrutiny.com

View Profile WWW
June 09, 2011, 09:17:23 PM

i'm new to btc and was involved in discussions about murder-bounties and silk road because i want to find out for myself if it is compatible with my moral to do btc. asking more experienced users to not take part in those discussions sounds pretty silly to me.

with btc, electricity consumption will likely go up to 3GW in a year - so what? Visa and Co. need more.
with btc and tor you can set bounties to assassin people - so what? you can do the same with dollars or gold.

getting to the right reply is the point of these threads.

in order to not have to explain 51%-weakness over and over again, point to a wiki and improve the explanation there.

ɃɃWalletScrutiny.comIs your wallet secure?(Methodology)
WalletScrutiny checks if wallet builds are reproducible, a precondition for code audits to be of value.
ɃɃ
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: