Bitcoin Forum
June 16, 2024, 09:48:07 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 [3] 4 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Is technical analysis bullshit?  (Read 4502 times)
oda.krell
Legendary

Activity: 1470
Merit: 1007

View Profile
March 23, 2015, 11:26:53 AM

TA provides you with very important statistics about the past of the market. Projecting it onto future is fundamentally wrong. It is like predicting an outcome of dice throw based on past results. You need to have fundamental data in addition to past statistics to predict a future market.

Nonsense!
In trading, there are only 2 outcomes to price movement from the current price rather than 6 or 12 like with dice... Right there odds are more in our favor. Then we have other data like volume. This tells us where more force is being applied, up or down, plus a multitude of other methods for trying to determine what direction comes next. They aren't even close to the same thing.

I use fundamentals to say that as long as Bitcoin doesn't die, the far future should go way up, and that is it. The fundamentals don't mean shit in a mostly speculative market. $2->$1200->150 in 2.5 years is a clear example that fundamentals aren't at play here. One more example would be the numerous large-scale businesses that began accepting Bitcoin over the last year, and only sparked pump and dumps.

Note, this is not a dig at the fundamentals, only that they aren't currently important for the price discovery or used by anyone but bag holders (forced or otherwise) or long term investors (who fall into "otherwise").

Blah blah blah....

You can't extrapolate past statistical data onto future. Period.

You use the big words, but you don't really know what they mean, huh? Smiley

Whether you can extrapolate (in a loose sense) from past market data to future outcomes runs down to the question whether a market is a Markov process (or rather: can be modeled by one) or not. Some processes can be shown to be likely to satisfy that property (in which case, yes, you can't extrapolate), some processes don't, then you can go hunting for predictive factors (which take historic data as input.)

Hint: even most of mainstream economy doesn't believe markets in general satisfy the Markov property. They just think (most) markets are also efficient enough to price in the information potential almost immediately. By that interpretation (which I don't share), TA still doesn't work, but not for the reason you seem to think it doesn't.

Not sure which Bitcoin wallet you should use? Get Electrum!
Electrum is an open-source lightweight client: fast, user friendly, and 100% secure.
Download the source or executables for Windows/OSX/Linux/Android from, and only from, the official Electrum homepage.
johnyj
Legendary

Activity: 1988
Merit: 1012

Beyond Imagination

View Profile
March 23, 2015, 03:39:11 PM

they are based on probability in fact, they don't really predict anything , it's more of a talk about the "movement"/trend

Buy and hold is much much more useful, especially for bitcoin, no amount of TA can defeat a long term buy and hold strategy Grin

what if bitcoin die, or stay at bad value indefinitely? Grin

I'd rather worry about fiat money die before that. Now when interest rate is going negative, it is not faraway from a mass drop in fiat money's confidence, and when that fear spread out quickly, fiat money will lose most of its value in a very short time

Fiat money and bond are all created out of thin air, the value of these things are even more intangible than bitcoin, if they can hold its value, bitcoin will definitely too

bassclef

Activity: 924
Merit: 1000

View Profile
March 23, 2015, 03:49:02 PM

What do you all define as TA?

Support/resistance?

Indicators?

Elliot Wave?

Moon cycles?

There is a lot of "TA" out there. In fact, you can invent your own and call it TA. It is a very loose definition.
JimboToronto
Legendary

Activity: 4032
Merit: 4569

You're never too old to think young.

View Profile
March 23, 2015, 04:35:31 PM

I liken TA to astrology.

Both have been practiced worldwide for a long time by many people, although astrology has been around much longer.

Both are based on sketchy "science" and could better be described as craft.

Both have an almost cult-like following.

I'll read the horoscope in the newspaper for entertainment but I won't base important decisions on it. Same goes for TA.

Just my BTC0.00000002.
uki
Legendary

Activity: 1358

cryptojunk bag holder

View Profile
March 23, 2015, 05:51:41 PM
Last edit: March 23, 2015, 08:27:54 PM by uki

well, in all honesty, think carefully what TA is aiming to do?
To me it is to model mathematically psychology of people trading any given asset. That changes from asset to asset as there are different groups involved in each case and thus the same set of indicators that works for one may not work for the other. Recently, also most of the markets have HFT algos programmed to make the most of each market, and taking the advantage of these who stick too strictly to their charts. Also, different markets have different grade of volatility, which is another factor to take into account that make influence price behaviour. These are just some of the aspects that are involved  here, the list is definitely longer, on why it seems the TA may not to work. It does however provide you with some information on how market reacted in the past. It is up to you and your experience to evaluate the usefulness of such hints.  

this space is intentionally left blank
yvv
Legendary

Activity: 1344

View Profile WWW
March 23, 2015, 06:44:02 PM

Whether you can extrapolate (in a loose sense) from past market data to future outcomes runs down to the question whether a market is a Markov process (or rather: can be modeled by one) or not. Some processes can be shown to be likely to satisfy that property (in which case, yes, you can't extrapolate), some processes don't, then you can go hunting for predictive factors (which take historic data as input.)

Hint: even most of mainstream economy doesn't believe markets in general satisfy the Markov property. They just think (most) markets are also efficient enough to price in the information potential almost immediately. By that interpretation (which I don't share), TA still doesn't work, but not for the reason you seem to think it doesn't.

You can fit a statistical model to data and use it for predictions, but this is already beyond TA. This is not extrapolation, this is prediction. Building a model requires to have fundamental knowledge about the system.

Some processes indeed can be predicted by simple models such as Markov model quite well.

indiemax

Activity: 722
Merit: 500

View Profile
March 23, 2015, 08:45:56 PM

T.A. and Bitcoin

might as well toss a coin Grin
oda.krell
Legendary

Activity: 1470
Merit: 1007

View Profile
March 23, 2015, 10:31:50 PM

You can fit a statistical model to data and use it for predictions, but this is already beyond TA. This is not extrapolation, this is prediction. Building a model requires to have fundamental knowledge about the system.

Some processes indeed can be predicted by simple models such as Markov model quite well.

I'd suggest not to make pretty wide ranging assumptions based on nothing but a "hunch".

Seriously though, take a quick look at the article if you feel like it. In a way, it supports your point. In another one, mine as well.

Not sure which Bitcoin wallet you should use? Get Electrum!
Electrum is an open-source lightweight client: fast, user friendly, and 100% secure.
Download the source or executables for Windows/OSX/Linux/Android from, and only from, the official Electrum homepage.
HarmonLi

Activity: 350
Merit: 250

Honest 80s business!

View Profile
March 24, 2015, 10:38:46 AM

It works worse for Bitcoin in a way, I believe. Bitcoin has pretty unique features and patterns. On the other hand, it's a pretty low market cap, still and can be influence easily. I guess it's mostly a self-fulfilling-prophecy, though!

uki
Legendary

cryptojunk bag holder

View Profile
March 24, 2015, 10:41:14 AM

It works worse for Bitcoin in a way, I believe. Bitcoin has pretty unique features and patterns. On the other hand, it's a pretty low market cap, still and can be influence easily. I guess it's mostly a self-fulfilling-prophecy, though!
agree. bitcoin is realatively young market and with small market cap. thus, it is easy to manipulate at any given point of time, invalidating the TA.

HarmonLi

Activity: 350

Honest 80s business!

View Profile
March 24, 2015, 10:46:30 AM

agree. bitcoin is realatively young market and with small market cap. thus, it is easy to manipulate at any given point of time, invalidating the TA.

Ah, well... I wouldn't say invalidate, but it's certainly something you have to consider and be prepared for violent jumps. People are often relying on the same indicators and lines, arrive at the same conclusions and thus act accordingly...

Afrikoin
Legendary

Activity: 1540
Merit: 1003

alan watts is all you need

View Profile
March 24, 2015, 10:58:42 AM

More or less I would say that. They are just trying to predict price movement using analysis tools and I think the more time spent trying to understand, the more confusing it gets and most of the time it's not even accurate. I remember seeing ads about paying for the guy to teach how to analyze charts but I was thinking, why try to earn from the participants fee when the guy could game the market by himself.

because teaching TA to a willing group of buyers is not that bad either. The probability of making money from teaching TA is way better than trading volatile markets. Why not?

Check Steve Nison. trader turned tutor and he seems to do ok.

▄▄▄██████▄▄▄
          ▄██████████████████▄
       ▄████████████████████████▄
 ▄▄  ▄████████████████████████████▄
███████████████████████████████████▄
 ▀▀█████████████████████████████████▄
   ██████████████████████████████████
   ▀████████████████████████████████▀
    ▀██████████████████████████████▀
     ▀▀██████████████████████████▀
        ▀██████████████████████▀
           ▀▀▀████████████▀▀▀

Afrikoin
Legendary

View Profile
March 24, 2015, 11:02:38 AM

Predicting the market is objectively impossible. TA is based around % chances of something happening. It's a bit like predicting the weather.

True, TA is a tool (sometimes highly overrated)
Fundamentals are more important, especially with something historic like Bitcoin.

I never get the debate. Why not just do both TA and fundamentals. It surely can't hurt to have more than one tool on your box?

▄▄▄██████▄▄▄
          ▄██████████████████▄
        ▀██████████████████████▀
           ▀▀▀████████████▀▀▀

Afrikoin
Legendary

View Profile
March 24, 2015, 11:08:07 AM

TA provides you with very important statistics about the past of the market. Projecting it onto future is fundamentally wrong. It is like predicting an outcome of dice throw based on past results. You need to have fundamental data in addition to past statistics to predict a future market.

Nonsense!

Blah blah blah....

You can't extrapolate past statistical data onto future. Period.

Have you heard about feedback loop mechanisms in controlled systems? Every set of new information is integrated to refine a result. The faster this happens i.e. as in real time systems, the better.

▄▄▄██████▄▄▄
          ▄██████████████████▄
        ▀██████████████████████▀
           ▀▀▀████████████▀▀▀

Afrikoin
Legendary

View Profile
March 24, 2015, 11:16:11 AM

Support/resistance?

Indicators?

Elliot Wave?

Moon cycles?

▄▄▄██████▄▄▄
          ▄██████████████████▄
        ▀██████████████████████▀
           ▀▀▀████████████▀▀▀

bassclef

Activity: 924

View Profile
March 24, 2015, 07:52:24 PM

Support/resistance

Price action

Volume

Indicators?

Elliot Wave?

Moon cycles?

fixed Wink

bri912678

Activity: 348

View Profile
March 24, 2015, 08:23:11 PM

Support/resistance?

Indicators?

Elliot Wave?

Moon cycles?

The crash started a day before Friday's solar eclipse with its associated full super moon. If it had started one day later we could attribute it to the full moon and include moon cycles as TA on that list.
uki
Legendary

cryptojunk bag holder

View Profile
March 24, 2015, 10:13:47 PM

The crash started a day before Friday's solar eclipse with its associated full super moon. If it had started one day later we could attribute it to the full moon and include moon cycles as TA on that list.
People, you want to discuss whether technical analysis is useful or not in case of Bitcoin, but it seems some of the basic terms are misunderstood.
Crash? what do you mean by crash? usually, in stockmarkets a correction of more than 20% is considered a crash. Which crash are you talking about? You mean the most recent correction? It is not a crash as of now.

bri912678

Activity: 348

View Profile
March 24, 2015, 10:33:58 PM

People, you want to discuss whether technical analysis is useful or not in case of Bitcoin, but it seems some of the basic terms are misunderstood.
Crash? what do you mean by crash? usually, in stockmarkets a correction of more than 20% is considered a crash. Which crash are you talking about? You mean the most recent correction? It is not a crash as of now.

Technical Analysis itself is a very vague term and might even include moon cycles according to some, but not others. I consider the term crash to be a similarly vague term that might mean 20% to some, 10% to others, or simply a straight line going down to a few.

The price went down by close to $40 on March 19th and further today, which when taken as a whole I regard as a crash, especially if it continues further down.
twiifm

Activity: 784
Merit: 500

View Profile
March 25, 2015, 03:53:56 AM

Its bullshit to people who dont use it correctly.

Its hard to predict the future.  But you can spot the same patterns often.

Pages: « 1 2 [3] 4 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: