Bitcoin Forum
May 05, 2024, 02:43:34 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Lost Password To 106 BTC, Encrypted Wallet [BOUNTY]  (Read 2890 times)
Jeremycoin
Legendary

Activity: 1022
Merit: 1003

𝓗𝓞𝓓𝓛

View Profile
March 26, 2015, 11:53:36 AM

Am I fucked? I had it like this: I use Multibit, but my wallet is encrypted with a 16 character passcode, randomly generated. This pass was saved in a text file on my external HDD. I was ratted, and now the file was deleted. As well, I think my HDD was formatted Sad it isn't recognized at all

I don't remember even the first character. Maybe it was a c or f, I don't know Sad. I'll offer a big bounty, maybe 6 BTC to whoever can help unlock my wallet. I read about this but I can't make any sense of it Sad

Wait...wait...wait...
Formatted HDD can still be recover
I suggest you to not use that HDD for now, till you can recover it
Because if you use the HDD too much, the file will be struck down and can't be recover.

faucet used to be profitable
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
rev0lt

Activity: 27
Merit: 0

View Profile
March 27, 2015, 09:09:57 AM

I have one wallet with around 1BTC on it. Is it worth to crack it?
coinpr0n

Activity: 910
Merit: 1000

View Profile
March 27, 2015, 09:25:59 AM

Offer up a reward % for it I'm sure someone would be interested in helping. Do you remember how long the password was?

defcon23
Legendary

Activity: 1120
Merit: 1002

View Profile
March 27, 2015, 09:44:46 AM

Offer up a reward % for it I'm sure someone would be interested in helping. Do you remember how long the password was?
... usualy it's something around 15% to 20% of the recovered wallet  Cool
rev0lt

Activity: 27
Merit: 0

View Profile
March 27, 2015, 09:47:47 AM

It is 12 letters. Second thing is that I used random string generator, with both Lower, upper, numeric,... So bruteforce would be only way, but on so large password I doubt it would be worth trying.
coinpr0n

Activity: 910
Merit: 1000

View Profile
March 27, 2015, 02:02:37 PM

I think anything more than 9 characters is considered pretty strong. I don't have any experience with this (or the raw power needed) but I think it's going to be hard. Hope someone can help you or that you're lucky enough to find the password again.

btchris

Activity: 672
Merit: 504

a.k.a. gurnec on GitHub

View Profile WWW
March 27, 2015, 04:22:48 PM

It is 12 letters. Second thing is that I used random string generator, with both Lower, upper, numeric,... So bruteforce would be only way, but on so large password I doubt it would be worth trying.

(26 lowercase + 26 uppercase + 10 digits) ^ 12 = over 3 thousand billion billion permutations (for comparison, that's somewhere around the number of grains of sand on planet Earth). If it was in fact generated randomly, it's completely unbruteforcible.

I think anything more than 9 characters is considered pretty strong.

It's somewhere around there, but it depends on the details. For example, if it was only lowercase letters and 10 letters long, and if it was for a wallet that doesn't use key stretching (e.g. MultiBit Classic, Electrum), then it would cost me somewhere around $2,500 - $3,500 USD in compute resources & power to brute force, and it could be done in a few weeks. It might be even cheaper to create specialized software that'd run faster and cost less to run, but that's harder to estimate.
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  

Jump to: