Bitcoin Forum
May 09, 2024, 05:37:49 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Who is buying Bitcoin? Why do they buy it?  (Read 7130 times)
freecoin

Activity: 30
Merit: 0

View Profile
May 26, 2011, 04:10:08 PM

.. but the moment you sell those 100 bitcoins for $800 you have to report that.  Having bitcoins is like having 100 jpgs or 100 bookmarks, you don't report jpgs on your taxes even though they may have value, but if you sell them then you report that, same thing.
I respectfully disagree.  There is no requirement.  We have been greatly deceived.  Unfortunately I don't have much in the way of proof.  I've personally operated outside the FR system and not paid income tax in years.  I conclude that the IRS agrees with me since I have no legal issues.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"I'm sure that in 20 years there will either be very large transaction volume or no volume." -- Satoshi
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
eleuthria
Legendary

Activity: 1750
Merit: 1007

View Profile
May 26, 2011, 04:16:50 PM

.. but the moment you sell those 100 bitcoins for $800 you have to report that.  Having bitcoins is like having 100 jpgs or 100 bookmarks, you don't report jpgs on your taxes even though they may have value, but if you sell them then you report that, same thing.
I respectfully disagree.  There is no requirement.  We have been greatly deceived.  Unfortunately I don't have much in the way of proof.  I've personally operated outside the FR system and not paid income tax in years.  I conclude that the IRS agrees with me since I have no legal issues.

Good luck with that if they ever catch on.  Just because you haven't been audited yet means nothing.  When you do get audited, enjoy the interest and penalties.  There are thousands of people out they operating under the:  "I haven't been taken to tax court yet, so I must not be doing anything wrong" theory.  Ignorance won't get you off the hook.  Make sure you hire a CPA experienced in audits, they'll save you a lot of money when the time comes.

RIP BTC Guild, April 2011 - June 2015
Alex Beckenham

Activity: 154
Merit: 100

View Profile
May 26, 2011, 04:18:57 PM

There simply aren't enough bitcoin using businesses

That you know of.

Gameover

Activity: 92
Merit: 10

NEURAL.CLUB - FIRST SOCIAL ARTIFICIAL INTELLIGENCE

View Profile WWW
May 26, 2011, 04:19:19 PM

.. but the moment you sell those 100 bitcoins for $800 you have to report that.  Having bitcoins is like having 100 jpgs or 100 bookmarks, you don't report jpgs on your taxes even though they may have value, but if you sell them then you report that, same thing.
I respectfully disagree.  There is no requirement.  We have been greatly deceived.  Unfortunately I don't have much in the way of proof.  I've personally operated outside the FR system and not paid income tax in years.  I conclude that the IRS agrees with me since I have no legal issues.

I have heard that as well but would rather pay 30% than having a chance of going to federal prison.  Either you don't make very much (little risk of being audited) or are delusional in thinking that any argument you make will hold up in court and not land you with heavy fines much beyond what you owe or prison time.  Besides our tax rate is much lower than almost every other industrialized nation, even though most of it is squandered Sad

NEURAL.CLUB - FIRST SOCIAL ARTIFICIAL INTELLIGENCE
darthjee

Activity: 3

View Profile
May 26, 2011, 04:32:25 PM

The reasons to buy/use Bitcoins are many, but the opportunity to trade OUTSIDE the Federal Reserve system, and perhaps your country's central bank too (quite possibly hastening its demise), and its associated tax is probably one of the greatest reasons.  What I'm saying is, once you dig into it, you will discover the US Federal Income Tax is an excise on banking within the Federal Reserve System.  From a legal standpoint, bitcoins are not "income" under the Revenue Acts of the United States.  Unless of course you consent to consider them income; in this day of heavy conditioning (brainwashing), that's always an option.  I asked a tax attorney about bitcoin and he said they were "includible" in gross income.  I then said "oh, I can include them if I choose to."  And he just laughed at that.  My interpretation is... gotcha.

http://savingtosuitorsclub.net/showthread.php?145-Exactly-what-does-the-IRS-agent-think
http://losthorizons.com/CtCforFree.pdf

Of course, have 100 bitcoins in your account is meaningless, but the moment you sell those 100 bitcoins for $800 you have to report that.  Having bitcoins is like having 100 jpgs or 100 bookmarks, you don't report jpgs on your taxes even though they may have value, but if you sell them then you report that, same thing.

well, you can buy bit coins, to startup the system, bring the coins to your location ... once you have that, and enough local business and people are accepting them, you can start circulating it and avoiding taxes
acamus

Activity: 28

View Profile
May 26, 2011, 04:48:21 PM

The reasons to buy/use Bitcoins are many, but the opportunity to trade OUTSIDE the Federal Reserve system, and perhaps your country's central bank too (quite possibly hastening its demise), and its associated tax is probably one of the greatest reasons.  What I'm saying is, once you dig into it, you will discover the US Federal Income Tax is an excise on banking within the Federal Reserve System.  From a legal standpoint, bitcoins are not "income" under the Revenue Acts of the United States.  Unless of course you consent to consider them income; in this day of heavy conditioning (brainwashing), that's always an option.  I asked a tax attorney about bitcoin and he said they were "includible" in gross income.  I then said "oh, I can include them if I choose to."  And he just laughed at that.  My interpretation is... gotcha.

http://savingtosuitorsclub.net/showthread.php?145-Exactly-what-does-the-IRS-agent-think
http://losthorizons.com/CtCforFree.pdf

Of course, have 100 bitcoins in your account is meaningless, but the moment you sell those 100 bitcoins for $800 you have to report that.  Having bitcoins is like having 100 jpgs or 100 bookmarks, you don't report jpgs on your taxes even though they may have value, but if you sell them then you report that, same thing.

The great thing is you only need to report it once the dollars become "real". No need to report mtGox dollars or Dwolla dollars. Only once it hits your bank account. I would just seriously hope dwolla doesn't get shut down.
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  

Jump to: