Bitcoin Forum
May 24, 2024, 08:38:42 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 4 5 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Chase bank not feeling comfortable  (Read 8145 times)
sadpandatech

Activity: 504
Merit: 500

View Profile
August 11, 2012, 07:04:25 PM
Last edit: August 11, 2012, 11:17:43 PM by sadpandatech

=Baby D0X=

lgscout.com  Home of 'Scout Vision' software. The site created by the speakers buddy,
Jason Lewis; http://www.facebook.com/jason.lewis2/friendsft_ref=mni#!/jason.lewis2
that adds really non useful, social, cloud type 'tags' to sites that THEY (the operators of said software) deem to associate with particular sites.

Hosted via hiding behind Cloudflare.com;
home of a LOT of nasty money laundering, hacking and CC doxing sites from the Virgin Islands, Netherlands, etc who use the CloudFlare service as a 'CDN' to hide the true location of their servers!

Some notorius sites hosted behind CloudFlare, include but certainly not limited to;
hosted LulzSec

Currently hosts the website of a professional DDoSer named "Gwapo" in the Philippines.(He explains how you can send him money to take down any website)

A list of sites known to be involved in fraudulant activity who also hide behind CloudFlare can be seen here;
http://www.spamhaus.org/sbl/listings/cloudflare.com

One entry;  "03-Aug-2012 23:52 GMT stolen credit-card gang fraud sites: UNIQUEFRAUD.* "

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

scout-vision.com; This is where the servers are truely hosted.

Hosted by Dreamhost, forwards to lgscout.com; Also home to a LOT of nasty
ML and other illicit activities.

Dreamhost is also vulnerable to and does not do much to protect the sites hosted there. Not the ideal place to host any kind of 'legitimate' security business.

http://www.whitefirdesign.com/blog/2012/03/09/dreamhosts-gross-negligence-to-blame-for-recent-hacks/

http://blog.cycle-interactive.com/?p=473

"hacked again - Time to leave Dreamhost?"
https://discussion.dreamhost.com/thread-130909.html

"Backdoor PHP script;
Independent security researcher Denis Sinegubko, who created the Unmask Parasites web scanner, looked at some of the compromised websites given as examples by Zscaler and determined that they all had a backdoor PHP script installed on December 26, long before the DreamHost breach. It might still be an infrastructure-wide compromise though, he said."

Summary;

Yea, I'd take the security advice of the guys giving the presentation very seriously. Being that they so obviously take the time to do their homework........

shame shame. Not really worth digging much more on these guys, as even the least informed pleb can see their agenda written all over their shoddy research.

If you're not excited by the idea of being an early adopter 'now', then you should come back in three or four years and either tell us "Told you it'd never work!" or join what should, by then, be a much more stable and easier-to-use system.
- GA

It is being worked on by smart people.  -DamienBlack
hazek
Legendary

Activity: 1078
Merit: 1002

View Profile
August 11, 2012, 07:15:57 PM

Money laundering like oh so many "crimes" (drug prohibitions, tax evasion, various regulations, unlicensed practice of whatever, ect ect.) is a very very recently invented "crime" but I don't believe I have to give a rats ass about what some private bank thinks I should or shouldn't do with my money even if they call it money laundering, hence the beauty of Bitcoin.

My personality type: INTJ - please forgive my weaknesses (Not naturally in tune with others feelings; may be insensitive at times, tend to respond to conflict with logic and reason, tend to believe I'm always right)

If however you enjoyed my post: 15j781DjuJeVsZgYbDVt2NZsGrWKRWFHpp
BCB
CTG
VIP
Legendary

BCJ

View Profile
August 11, 2012, 07:20:49 PM

This is old but interesting.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2GiQEECNcZM

And for anything going on in the bitcoin world subscribe this this guys blog or follow his twitter feed.

http://themonetaryfuture.blogspot.com/
cbeast
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1736
Merit: 1006

Let's talk governance, lipstick, and pigs.

View Profile
August 11, 2012, 07:30:53 PM

I hope Law Enforcement will see through the veil of lies by the banksters. Bitcoin is a friend to civil harmony. This goes along with the entire milieu of banker crime ignorance. I would rather see these points debated than propagandized.

Any significantly advanced cryptocurrency is indistinguishable from Ponzi Tulips.
unclescrooge
aka Raphy

Activity: 868
Merit: 1000

View Profile
August 11, 2012, 07:47:55 PM

I hope Law Enforcement will see through the veil of lies by the banksters.

I lol'ed Grin

Seriously, cbeast, what do you think?
cbeast
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1736
Merit: 1006

Let's talk governance, lipstick, and pigs.

View Profile
August 11, 2012, 07:50:11 PM

I hope Law Enforcement will see through the veil of lies by the banksters.

I lol'ed Grin

Seriously, cbeast, what do you think?
At least we have a backup economy for when the law enforcement workers are unemployed due to budget cuts. Then they will see how they were fooled.

Any significantly advanced cryptocurrency is indistinguishable from Ponzi Tulips.
molecular
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 2772
Merit: 1019

View Profile
August 11, 2012, 07:53:40 PM

lol, this is hilarious.

These guys are "looking for points where we can leverage pressure". Then they're talking about providers that host a higher amount of "illicit activities" than others. I'm dumbstruck... how did they "look at bitcoin infrastructure" and not spot the decentralized nature of it? They even located 211000 threat tags??? What's that? Bitcoin nodes? Are they planning to nuke them all?

The main problem these guys have is that they ask "where in the internet is this happening?". Wrong question!

It's like chopping down trees trying to catch a bird.

PGP key molecular F9B70769 fingerprint 9CDD C0D3 20F8 279F 6BE0  3F39 FC49 2362 F9B7 0769
hazek
Legendary

View Profile
August 11, 2012, 07:58:51 PM

I hope Law Enforcement will see through the veil of lies by the banksters. Bitcoin is a friend to civil harmony. This goes along with the entire milieu of banker crime ignorance. I would rather see these points debated than propagandized.

Don't ever expect a man to understand what him getting his paycheck depends on him not understanding.

My personality type: INTJ - please forgive my weaknesses (Not naturally in tune with others feelings; may be insensitive at times, tend to respond to conflict with logic and reason, tend to believe I'm always right)

If however you enjoyed my post: 15j781DjuJeVsZgYbDVt2NZsGrWKRWFHpp
bb113

Activity: 728

View Profile
August 11, 2012, 10:18:05 PM

It would make more sense that they gave such a crappy presentation on purpose. Anyone ignorant enough to think what they were saying had any merit to it is just going to follow what others do anyway. I'm not saying that "bitcoin is a magnet for illicit activity" is untrue, just that these two would only be right on accident based on what they presented. Also they show all the traits of either being up all night making the presentation at the last second, or being hung over.
stevegee58
Legendary

Activity: 916
Merit: 1003

View Profile
August 11, 2012, 10:19:49 PM

Cash, especially greenbacks, are the ultimate magnet for illicit activity.  Less traceable than BTC.

You are in a maze of twisty little passages, all alike.
marcus_of_augustus
Legendary

Activity: 3920
Merit: 2349

Eadem mutata resurgo

View Profile
August 11, 2012, 11:12:25 PM

It struck me that they don't really have much idea at all how bitcoin works. Some of the things they said betrayed their shallow understanding ... I expect they are somewhere between the "wtf?" phase and the "wow, how can this work," phase.

Give them another 3-6 months and it will be interesting to see what they are presenting. If this guy is some kind of "security expert" for JPM Morgan Chase he is probably first guy who has been officially tasked to get to grips with bitcoin (to me looks like he spends too much time in track pants in front of a bright screen eating cold pizza).

Monetary economics, crypto-financials and p2p networks is a steep learning curve for anybody let alone security consultant for a bank used to living lavish on govt. handouts.

bb113

View Profile
August 11, 2012, 11:53:56 PM

It struck me that they don't really have much idea at all how bitcoin works. Some of the things they said betrayed their shallow understanding ... I expect they are somewhere between the "wtf?" phase and the "wow, how can this work," phase.

Give them another 3-6 months and it will be interesting to see what they are presenting. If this guy is some kind of "security expert" for JPM Morgan Chase he is probably first guy who has been officially tasked to get to grips with bitcoin (to me looks like he spends too much time in track pants in front of a bright screen eating cold pizza).

Monetary economics, crypto-financials and p2p networks is a steep learning curve for anybody let alone security consultant for a bank used to living lavish on govt. handouts.

This was also my impression. They got tasked with giving this talk, waited til the last minute to make it thinking it would be easy (just program your algorithm priors a certain way -> evil tags). Then they looked into bitcoin the night before and couldn't stop reading about it. He does say bitcoin is "hosted out of a service provider" though, so maybe hes just hung over.

I refuse to believe standards are so low that people in their positions actually make decisions off research of such low quality. Perhaps I am wrong to think this.
ruski

Activity: 350
Merit: 100

View Profile
August 11, 2012, 11:57:16 PM

The non-sequiturs in that video are astounding. Insane troll logic and misdirection at its very best.

The scariest thing is, having been to a few of these conferences and events, I know exactly the kind of crowd that he's preaching to, and it's not the masses, it's the power centre people sitting there in the room. They're definitely trying to undermine Bitcoin in a non-public way.

Somehow.

bb113

View Profile
August 11, 2012, 11:58:56 PM

The non-sequiturs in that video are astounding. Insane troll logic and misdirection at its very best.

The scariest thing is, having been to a few of these conferences and events, I know exactly the kind of crowd that he's preaching to, and it's not the masses, it's the power centre people sitting there in the room. They're definitely trying to undermine Bitcoin in a non-public way.

Somehow.

But then why not do it right? They is not a monolithic entity.
ruski

View Profile
August 12, 2012, 12:02:05 AM

No, "they" in this case seems to be JPM. If there were any logical basis to what they were putting forward, I'm sure they would do it right. Or the guy majorly blew it. He was stuttering his way through the whole thing. Maybe he knew better and had to say it anyway.

edit:
bitcoin bitcoin, 113
e-i-e-i-o!

sorry, couldn't resist...

bb113

View Profile
August 12, 2012, 12:06:23 AM

No, "they" in this case seems to be JPM. If there were any logical basis to what they were putting forward, I'm sure they would do it right. Or the guy majorly blew it. He was stuttering his way through the whole thing. Maybe he knew better and had to say it anyway.

edit:
bitcoin bitcoin, 113
e-i-e-i-o!

sorry, couldn't resist...

Well if you have been to these is that quality of presentation the norm?

My handle could very well be inspired by that song.
ruski

View Profile
August 12, 2012, 12:13:48 AM

No, it tends to be about big or well-known names talking about their support for the topic at hand, a bit about the impact, a bit about what can be done. Mostly it's assumed that everyone knows what you're talking about and just needs your support. The only place I've seen anyone attempt in-depth technical discussion like this is an internal company meeting about bringing in some new system or change.

ruski

View Profile
August 12, 2012, 12:20:21 AM

Long story short I wouldn't worry yet. If this is the best they can do then they won't be convincing anyone anytime soon, and don't have any ideas for what can be done anyway.

bb113

View Profile
August 12, 2012, 12:20:46 AM

No, it tends to be about big or well-known names talking about their support for the topic at hand, a bit about the impact, a bit about what can be done. Mostly it's assumed that everyone knows what you're talking about and just needs your support. The only place I've seen anyone attempt in-depth technical discussion like this is an internal company meeting about bringing in some new system or change.

So they fly around the country to hear people bullshit then go party later, sounds like academia. I hope there are at least booths set up by the companies occupied by the actual people who make things happen?
ruski

View Profile
August 12, 2012, 12:25:22 AM

So they fly around the country to hear people bullshit then go party later, sounds like academia.

Nope, that's business! Grin

I hope there are at least booths set up by the companies occupied by the actual people who make things happen?

Sure, sometimes. Of all the events I've been to, most tend to go just to enjoy the entertainment and food, and network within the industry, and don't give a toss about the actual topic of discussion or supporting it. Most of the things that happen are in person-to-person conversations and unrelated. The theme is just a backdrop.

Pages: « 1 [2] 3 4 5 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: