Bitcoin Forum
May 06, 2024, 03:44:17 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 4 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Print your own bitcoin bills - print.printcoins.com  (Read 23317 times)
unclemantis

Activity: 98
Merit: 10

(:firstbits => "1mantis")

View Profile
August 12, 2012, 08:29:32 PM

Or port it to JAVASCRIPT

PHP, Ruby, Rails, ASP, JavaScript, SQL
20+ years experience w/ Internet Technologies
Bitcoin OTC | GPG Public Key                                                                               thoughts?
"You Asked For Change, We Gave You Coins" -- casascius
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Raoul Duke
aka psy
Legendary

Activity: 1358
Merit: 1002

View Profile
August 12, 2012, 08:30:01 PM

Well from the information being sent back to a PHP server in itself UNENCRYPTED IN ANY WAY gives me cause to call this a SCAM or a SECURITY RISK.

https://github.com/RobKohr/print.printcoins.com/blob/master/index.php

USE AT YOUR OWN RISK FOLKS!

You realize that you can run both scripts locally, don't you?
bitaddress.org just needs to be saved as HTML to run locally and print.printcoins.com can be run on a localhost apache server because you have the source code available and you are free to use it.

You can say it's a security risk but you can't call it a scam. And the OP clearly says you can run the code yourself and don't have to trust him, so, I still can't understand what's your beef...
You can always do something better yourself and give it to the community. Aren't you a programmer?
unclemantis

View Profile
August 12, 2012, 08:33:22 PM

Well from the information being sent back to a PHP server in itself UNENCRYPTED IN ANY WAY gives me cause to call this a SCAM or a SECURITY RISK.

bitaddress.org just needs to be saved as HTML to run locally and print.printcoins.com can be run on a localhost apache server because you have the source code available and you are free to use it.

You can say it's a security risk but you can't call it a scam. And the OP clearly says you can run the code yourself and don't have to trust him, so, I still can't understand what's your beef...
You can always do something better yourself and give it to the community. Aren't you a programmer?

I am a programmer but not EVERYONE is a programmer. You need to develop tools like this for the MASSES. The ones that have NO CLUE how to set up an Apache server.

Bitcoin OTC | GPG Public Key                                                                               thoughts?
Raoul Duke
aka psy
Legendary

View Profile
August 12, 2012, 08:38:02 PM

I am a programmer but not EVERYONE is a programmer. You need to develop tools like this for the MASSES. The ones that have NO CLUE how to set up an Apache server.

So, being a programmer you can develop one of those tools for the masses. Why not?
It's easier to just say what others do isn't good enough instead of improving it?
Gyrsur
Legendary

Activity: 2856
Merit: 1518

Bitcoin Legal Tender Countries: 2 of 206

View Profile WWW
August 12, 2012, 08:39:33 PM

Or port it to JAVASCRIPT

+1

EDIT: I hate unsecure quick 'n dirty solutions too!! To much of them in Bitcoinica...

unclemantis

View Profile
August 12, 2012, 09:02:59 PM

So, being a programmer you can develop one of those tools for the masses. Why not?
It's easier to just say what others do isn't good enough instead of improving it?

I thought Mike was going to be doing a plugin for bitaddress.org but instead he did a desktop solution. Do you know if he still plans on doing a bitaddress.org solution?

Raoul Duke
aka psy
Legendary

View Profile
August 12, 2012, 10:19:22 PM

I thought Mike was going to be doing a plugin for bitaddress.org but instead he did a desktop solution. Do you know if he still plans on doing a bitaddress.org solution?

I'm trying to convert one of the svg layers which is a png into a pure vector so he can change the color programatically. I think the idea is to provide a pure js version using a SVG file of my design.

But it's not being easy to get that specific layer on vector format.
unclemantis

View Profile
August 12, 2012, 10:53:43 PM

I'm trying to convert one of the svg layers which is a png into a pure vector so he can change the color programatically. I think the idea is to provide a pure js version using a SVG file of my design.

I am completely fine with a NON ARTSY solution.

pointbiz

Activity: 437
Merit: 415

1ninja

View Profile
August 13, 2012, 01:40:58 AM

Or port it to JAVASCRIPT

I haven't found any good free js PDF libraries.

Coder of: https://www.bitaddress.org      Thread
Open Source JavaScript Client-Side Bitcoin Wallet Generator
Donations: 1NiNja1bUmhSoTXozBRBEtR8LeF9TGbZBN   PGP
pointbiz

Activity: 437
Merit: 415

1ninja

View Profile
August 13, 2012, 01:50:37 AM

So far, I have loading the SVG into an iframe and updating the address/key in JS.
I will load the SVG externally because 4MB of data per artwork is too much to embed or download on initial load. Also, this makes it easier to incorporate other designs.
I will put some thought into signing the final SVG because it can include JS.

Next step for me is getting a QR code into SVG format... or use CSS positioning.

Coder of: https://www.bitaddress.org      Thread
Open Source JavaScript Client-Side Bitcoin Wallet Generator
Donations: 1NiNja1bUmhSoTXozBRBEtR8LeF9TGbZBN   PGP
PrintCoins (OP)

Activity: 533
Merit: 501

View Profile
August 13, 2012, 08:10:56 AM

Wow, didn't think this would go down the scammer territory path. For those who wish to view the source code, but want to get right to the meat of where the action is:

This is where I wrote all of the code, everything else is just library stuff. Nothing writes to a file. Nothing writes to a db. It takes in input, and spits back a pdf. Yep, it is http, rather than https. If anyone wants to buy me a cert for this one off project, I'll take it Smiley Otherwise you will have to consider a possible man in the middle attack.

The reason this is server side rather than js is that I have not found one decent pdf creation library written in javascript (just a couple half hearted attempts that were useless). pdf's are the simplest way to create something that will print to exact dimensions on the web.

If you have no faith in me, then download it and run it yourself, that is what the code is for. The website is just up there so you can be lazy if you trust me. I would be more worried if someone created an executable to do this on your home machine, as that would be able to get to your actual wallet. Or just don't use it at all. 

As far as the actual usefulness of bitcoin bills, well that is a good question. It could be handy for off the grid transactions where both parties trust each other. I find that most people use them as gifts or as a way to sell bitcoins to others as an investment, but where the other person just doesn't want to bother with setting up the tech to handle bitcoins. For real commerce in physical form off the grid with untrusted parties, significant steps would need to be taken to prevent counterfeiting as well as private key extraction. Right now, I think only Casascius has a product that I would accept as money from a stranger on the street. It would be difficult and expensive to forge that product. When bitcoin is common enough to easily find merchants in meatspace to do transactions with, I think there will be plenty of physical forms out there. Cash is a much more natural for exchange than two people tapping on their cell phones and then waiting for the transaction to be verified. It is also much more satisfying to be paid in cash, and more untraceable (for both bitcoins and fiat).

drakahn

Activity: 504
Merit: 500

View Profile
August 13, 2012, 08:21:27 AM

if it only needs to be run on a bare server with php, then a lot of the editors include a preview mode that should work, get a php editor that has a preview (i use 'php expert editor' first and only one i've tried) install php(might have to set the path to php in the editor options), open script, audit script, run script, done

14ga8dJ6NGpiwQkNTXg7KzwozasfaXNfEU
PrintCoins (OP)

View Profile
August 13, 2012, 10:37:59 AM

I just added Psy's design. Take a look at it here:

http://tinyurl.com/bitbill

Note: By the way, do not use this set of bills generated by this url. They are using private keys that will be available to all. Go to http://print.printcoins.com to generate your own.

rate5

Activity: 104
Merit: 100

View Profile
August 13, 2012, 04:16:00 PM

Just tried this on your site, unfortunately I got this error:

Fatal error: Call to undefined function design_standard() in /home/printcoins/www/print.printcoins.com/index.php on line 158
PrintCoins (OP)

View Profile
August 13, 2012, 10:08:20 PM

Just tried this on your site, unfortunately I got this error:

Fatal error: Call to undefined function design_standard() in /home/printcoins/www/print.printcoins.com/index.php on line 158

Thanks rate5, all fixed.

odolvlobo
Legendary

Activity: 4298
Merit: 3214

View Profile
October 02, 2012, 04:31:03 AM
Last edit: October 02, 2012, 04:44:28 AM by odolvlobo

I tried print.printcoins.com and it worked for each of the designs until I tried turing. Then it only displayed a half-finished loading icon. Now no matter what I do, that's all I get.

Join an anti-signature campaign: Click ignore on the members of signature campaigns.
PGP Fingerprint: 6B6BC26599EC24EF7E29A405EAF050539D0B2925 Signing address: 13GAVJo8YaAuenj6keiEykwxWUZ7jMoSLt
QuantumKiwi

Activity: 322
Merit: 250

View Profile WWW
October 02, 2012, 09:46:06 AM

I just had an awesome laugh at the troll moronic newbies yelling and screaming that data is being stored on the server.

Why is it open source?

You call us the fools yet you could easily run a local webserver, closed from internet acccess and still - no data will be recorded.

Amazing to see the amount of intelligence patiently combating the idiots. Well done Smiley

Btw, Im going to put this into use here in NZ. Many people will be interested, especially seeing it on paper...

Starting your own website?
CLOUD Hosting from $4.95/0.05BTC!
Than Jolg WI

Activity: 23
Merit: 0

View Profile
October 02, 2012, 02:48:23 PM

I like this service! How about a really minimalistic design too? Like the one bitaddress.org has. Could be useful if you want to take a paper backup of thousands of addresses.
canton

Activity: 261
Merit: 285

View Profile WWW
October 02, 2012, 04:21:28 PM

@robkohr - hey just a quick note to say I think this is a pretty darn great start, and it's very kind of you to make this an open source and apparently noncommercial project. I also appreciate that your webpage has end-to-end instructions, including where to buy security holograms which is a nice touch.

For those crying spam/fraud/etc. the only fault of robkohr is that he didn't specify up front that this code has the potential for air-tight security by being run on local servers, and/or converted to javascript and run over SSL, etc. On the other hand, anyone crying 'scam!' should be smart enough to know that the current online version is a proof of concept, a starting point us to try out some small conversions -- clearly not a clearinghouse where anyone should dump hordes of coin. I believe robkohr's intentions are pure, but it would be silly to trust large amounts of coin with an unencrypted website on a webhost which may or may not be compromised by hackers. (Dollars to donuts, I'll bet hackers are trying to compromise printcoins.com right now since it's probably easy pickings.)

Here's what I love about printcoins:

* converts bitcoins to a tangible exchange, which makes it possible to engage ordinary citizens in bitcoins not just übernerds. For example, some workers are in my backyard right now are building me a chicken coop. They don't know squat about bitcoin. But I could probably pay them in bitcoin if I had a nice looking bill in my hand and explained to the foreman, "hey, if you're a gambling man, I'll pay you 25% in this very weird currency which has increased in value a few hundred percent in just a few months. Just hold onto this bill and don't lose it, and here's how you use your cell phone to see what it's worth from time to time."

* (once run on a local server) doesn't require trusting anyone with your wallets/addresses. I've loved the idea of buying Casascius coins, but I just can't get over my paranoia stemming from the fact that criminals have a huge motivation to insert themselves into the minting process. I don't just mean hackers, I mean people physically breaking into the minting premises and causing mischief.

What printcoins represents is a huge step towards easy distributed "minting" which is really the key to using bitcoin without putting your bitcoins online where hackers are trying -- and succeeding -- to steal them.
PrintCoins (OP)

View Profile
October 03, 2012, 04:07:15 AM

@robkohr - hey just a quick note to say I think this is a pretty darn great start, and it's very kind of you to make this an open source and apparently noncommercial project. I also appreciate that your webpage has end-to-end instructions, including where to buy security holograms which is a nice touch.

For those crying spam/fraud/etc. the only fault of robkohr is that he didn't specify up front that this code has the potential for air-tight security by being run on local servers, and/or converted to javascript and run over SSL, etc. On the other hand, anyone crying 'scam!' should be smart enough to know that the current online version is a proof of concept, a starting point us to try out some small conversions -- clearly not a clearinghouse where anyone should dump hordes of coin. I believe robkohr's intentions are pure, but it would be silly to trust large amounts of coin with an unencrypted website on a webhost which may or may not be compromised by hackers. (Dollars to donuts, I'll bet hackers are trying to compromise printcoins.com right now since it's probably easy pickings.)

Here's what I love about printcoins:

* converts bitcoins to a tangible exchange, which makes it possible to engage ordinary citizens in bitcoins not just übernerds. For example, some workers are in my backyard right now are building me a chicken coop. They don't know squat about bitcoin. But I could probably pay them in bitcoin if I had a nice looking bill in my hand and explained to the foreman, "hey, if you're a gambling man, I'll pay you 25% in this very weird currency which has increased in value a few hundred percent in just a few months. Just hold onto this bill and don't lose it, and here's how you use your cell phone to see what it's worth from time to time."

* (once run on a local server) doesn't require trusting anyone with your wallets/addresses. I've loved the idea of buying Casascius coins, but I just can't get over my paranoia stemming from the fact that criminals have a huge motivation to insert themselves into the minting process. I don't just mean hackers, I mean people physically breaking into the minting premises and causing mischief.

What printcoins represents is a huge step towards easy distributed "minting" which is really the key to using bitcoin without putting your bitcoins online where hackers are trying -- and succeeding -- to steal them.

Thank you for your praise caton, it is greatly appreciated. If anyone would like to support paying for a vps and a cert, I can make this more locked down for everyone. Of course, you still have to trust me. The best remidy to that is to run this yourself.

Pages: « 1 [2] 3 4 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: